Methods Of Transportation Stigma

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by thefutureawaits, Sep 27, 2016.

1. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

I love public transport. Especially the trolley. Just so simple and an inexpensive way to get around. An unlimited monthly pass is 72$ here in San Diego. A car payment, gas, registration and insurance could never be that cheap. The one thing with public transport that makes it easier is the willingness to walk when needed. Not sure if it makes me a cheapskate or looked down upon in a society of cars. Who is respected most, the Walker, the bicyclist, the individual driver in fancy automobiles, the limousine and it's inhabitants or the public transporter, busses, subways, ferry's..etc

2. thefutureawaits

thefutureawaits Members

I have made this thread on the trolley

3. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

I like public transport, but the trains in NYC kinda suck in comparison to the ones in other first world countries.

We need better security and 2016 upgrades here.

4. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Trolley don't run out here...

5. deleted

deleted Visitor

my job is on a hill so high that would require an incline rail to reach.. 7mins is my quickest trip, 40mins the longest..

6. morrow

morrow Visitor

I love to travel by train! I can drive, but since I moved back home nearly 3 years now, I love that I can go anywhere in the UK, and the train takes me..
    You see so much more going by train, no traffic jams! It's the best way to travel!

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

rode one once in my life...last year in toronto

it was interesting

8. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

There is a situation for every mode of transport. The stigma comes from people taking the bus cross country when you can take a plane in 4 hours. And really isn't a whole lot more expensive (havnt checked prices recently though)

9. deleted

deleted Visitor

bus to California from Pittsburgh.. last I checked was 230$ one way,. ok now 180$// airline was 650$round, still about the same..

10. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I hate cars but where i live it is the only mode oof transportation. There is a shitty bus system and the bus stops right by my neighborhood but it doesnt go anywhere near my work so I dont have a lot of use for it. I guess i could use it to get to town but it runs on a pretty limited schedule and would take 3x as long as by car so I never bother. Which i guess is pretty hypocritical of me because i am very much in favor of public transportation.

There was talk of my town getting these elevated pod cars but i dont see it happening. And we were supposed to be on the line for a high speed rail running from Atlanta to Charlotte but i"ve heard rumors of this since i was a kid and it hasnt happened yet.

America overall is far behind other first world countries when it comes to public transportation

11. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I took Amtrak a few years ago to visit my brother in Illinois. I got business class and pretty much had the whole car to myself. There isn't any public transportation in the town I live near; we don't even have a taxi service. I live in the boonies anyway so I have no choice but to drive. [​IMG]

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Aside from the occassional malfunction, the trolley system in SD is pretty good. Along with the monthly price you mention in the op, the daily price of $5 for unlimited use of trolley and buses is good as well.

I think its better than BART in the SF Bay Area, where the price is based on distance and you can easily spend double if not triple the trolley price in a day, plus I dont recall it syncing with the bus system.

Only knocks I'd have on the trolley is it doesn't run too late nor does it go very close to any of the beaches.

13. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Thirteen Responses And Not One From themnax, I hope He's OK....... :D

Cheers Glen.

1 person likes this.
  14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i just recently found out that my town has a bus system (i've lived here a little over 3 years). it basically goes back and forth between the senior apartments and the save-a-lot, and it stops running at 5pm, so it's basically useless to everybody.

i used the bus a few times when i lived in the city. that was an awful experience. it would generally show up at some random time within a half hour or so of when it was scheduled to arrive, then it would take an hour to get me to downtown, where i could switch to a different bus which then took another hour to get me back to my intended destination, which would be about 10 minutes from my starting point by car.

my limited experience with trains has been better. they tend to leave when they're supposed to, and get you to the destination pretty quickly. the only problem there is if your start or finish isn't near the tracks, which it has pretty much never been for me.

i did have one really good public transportation experience. one time my car broke down in a town 45 miles from where i lived. i spent $40 to get a taxi (which was an hour and a half late) to take me about 5 miles to the nearest city, and then i got on a bus that took me the other 40 miles for $2, and was pretty prompt about it too. if all bus lines ran like that one, i'd be all for public transport.

15. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

Well the trains are cleaner and run more smoothly than before. I just hate how expensive its become and how overcrowded it can get. I kinda miss the red bird trains though. I still remember using tokens.