Would You Follow Jesus?

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by thefutureawaits, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Actually there are said (according to the bible) to be revealing "signs" that would tell a believer (and that is the key - one would need to be a believer and know "The Word" to be aware of what to look for) if the entity you were seeing was Jesus or the anti-Christ.

The supernatural part of "is it Jesus" would not frighten me whatsoever. When you have been exposed to a haunted house from as early as you can remember, the word "supernatural" tends not to have the kind of scary effect it would have for some.

1 person likes this.
  2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't think I'd be afraid if a Jesus entity showed up to me. Jesus is my friend. He eats good food and drinks wine. :) better than some them other gods out there...

1 person likes this.
  3. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

It would depend on what following Jesus exactly would entail. If it is in spirit I might already be following him in some way. If it means leaving home and material posessions just to walk with him to spread the good word. Probably not. But who knows: if the stories are true he often made quite an impression as well as a convincing argument.

4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Christians tell me though that Christ's love is unconditional. He isn't seeking to repel egoists by appearing to them in an ugly or unattractive form but to attract them to himself. Surely they have a point there.
    I think he said somewhere that he came for the sinners and not for the just. And if one accepts at all that he came to save a world gone wrong, it would be counter productive if he did try to push people away because of their egoism and ignorance.

According to traditional Christianity, it's only after death that Christ rejects people.

5. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

But he was not very successful with the egoists the last time he was here while trying to reform them. He got a nasty experience as well in the process. How long can he play saviour to them, suffering from compassion fatigue !

It was his disciples who were deeply in love and transcended the ego, who got his grace and blessings.

Each person has the choice of love or ego , and Christ has already taught about love eloquently. Christ would not therefore repel anyone consciously. Those who apply his teachings of love will reap his grace while the others will not.

Obviously it is easy to love that which is beautiful, attractive and despise that which is ugly and unattractive. This is an egoistic trait and there is nothing remarkable about it. It shows the presence of the superficial ego and lack of love, and thus ignorance or misapplication of the teachings.

6. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

My reading of it is obviously quite different from your own.

When you say 'egoists' what exactly do you mean? People with an inflated sense of ego? Or people with an awareness of themself as a separate being? I ask because if you mean the second option, then Christianity has no value as a world religion if it is aimed only at those who have no ego.

Maybe originally the goal of the religion was a merging into the being of God, and thus the loss of ego. As Jesus said he was one with his heavenly father, so the Christian through him can become one. But only a few Christian mystics over the ages seem to have made much attempt to realize that. Too often in some kinds of Christianity, it seems that it actually increases the egoism (in the sense of an overblown image of oneself) of some of it's so-called adherents.

7. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCdfYkUPvTs

8. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Follow him where? To like a Nazareth tribute concert?
    Followed by late night burritos and Corona beers?
    My white bicycle... beow weow weow we weow.
    That was the guitar part.

9. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Love hurts relaxxx :p

10. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

I try to follow Him now.

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Does he have any pot?

That may make a difference... I still need to know where he's going though.

If he has pot but is walking into a police station, then fuck no.

12. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Where is he going?

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Seems he's standing right there in front of you... Not going anywhere.

Maybe if you went somewhere Jesus would follow you... Could be this has been the problem all along. The dude doesn't know where he's going.

14. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I heard he went to the beach one time but he caused all sorts of trouble for some guy that he was carrying.

I'll tell ya the dude is weird. Walking around with grown men piggy back style on him.

1 person likes this.
  15. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

The egoist is similar to the wave which considers itself separate from the ocean from which it sprang up. Both the definitions count.

Christianity as a religious system was obviously meant to evolve the person out of the ego through love or present moment awareness.

Meister Eckhart too was one such mystic who understood the true message of Christ though he narrowly escaped persecution by the Catholic church for his views, due to his early death.

Christianity that existed at the time of Christ and his immediate disciples is quite different from the organized version of it later on. The Romans heavily edited the christian scriptures in the council of constantinople to make it more palatable for their sensibilities and traditions, as they reluctantly accepted the christian religion after persecuting it for so long.

The inherent message in the christian scriptures was thus lost or made unintelligible.

It is ironic that while Christ himself was persecuted by the Rabbis and organized religion, the religious system he created became an another perverse and twisted instrument in the hands of the christian priests to persecute the religious such as Meister Eckhart, though he was someone who actually exemplified the spirit of the teachings of Christ.

16. storch

storch banned

Yes there is. If he's the antichrist, he'll be sporting a goatee.

1 person likes this.
  17. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Why when the Devil has all the best Tunes !

18. Mr.Writer

Mr.Writer Senior Member

What do you mean by "follow jesus"? You don't mean physically follow him somewhere, as others here have jested, do you? So what do you mean by "follow jesus"?

19. Lolli

Lolli Visitor

i already do but i'd love 2 see him face 2 face in my lifetime

20. MikeE

MikeE Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Oh, contrare !

Compare all the classical christian music, plus gospel, plus near gospel and compare that to the sliver of heavy metal that is satanic and godly music wins hands down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4XsokzJXEM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOWX2-l788A
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1zYXooGWr4

1 person likes this.