Natural Fence

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by pattymary, Sep 3, 2016.

1. pattymary

pattymary Member

Hi everybody!
    I am planning to fence a plot of land, I would like to use little trees and plants as much as possible, can somebody give me some advice?

Asmodean, Casmo and altaai3 like this.
  2. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

I did this and what I did was go to empty lots and find plants that had already proven they were tough by seeding themselves in empty lots and surviving without care.

Sharpen your shovel, it makes a HUGE difference when digging up plants, cuts through roots cleanly.

Get a good metal file or much better an angle grinder , this tool and put an edge on that shovel. Works so much better.

[​IMG] Always safety glasses with this thing, its a spark spitter.

I moved a wile ago but I just looked on Google Earth and my plant wall is still doing well.

Oddduck, pattymary and Casmo like this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

This is my backyard area. We had the established hedges, the tall ones that line up the grass area. No one sees in, no one sees out. Tall enough to block the views of neighboring windows etc. they're very vibrant and green in warm month and you just need to manicure them twice a year.

The other bottom photos are another bush of sorts that we have used to build a natural fence. We actually have the other side growing now just the bush is a bit small so that's why the temporary fences exist in the photos, just to keep the dog off the lawn and away from the rabbits. I think you can see Darkness saying hello in the top photo. :D

[​IMG]

pattymary, GLENGLEN and Casmo like this.
  4. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

Do you want privacy or keeping riff-Raff out or keeping animals out?In an ideal world it would be nice not to have any fences but people are not virtuous enough.

Casmo likes this.
  5. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

What grows well?
    Do you want thorns?
    What heights?
    What's the function of the fence?

Will the fence cast shade on food garden plots?

1 person likes this.
  6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have a hedge that's nice and thick and it keeps my whole backyard 100% private it goes around my side and back and my other side neighbour has his own hedge. It is a spitasporum hedge. I guess it would take a while to grow.. But I mainain m once a years with the hedging and during summer it really is quite beautiful. :) it's actually this weekend is my designated hedge weekend.

7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

I'm gonna get started on a natural fence soon. I want something a little wild, I'm not a fan of overly manicured landscapes

But that's as far as I've gotten

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oh lol those photos were like, my house but then I realise, I posted them. :tearsofjoy:

Meliai and GLENGLEN like this.
  9. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

This Tends To Happen......When You Are On The Wrong Side Of "30"......LOL...:laughing:

Cheers Glen.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Usually I go through the thread to see if I can see my avatar quickly lol.

jimandjan likes this.
  11. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

Wish I had nice hedge like that. Have trouble keeping neighbor dogs out of garden. Looking for way to fence without giving up space. Rear tine tiller requires turning room I hate to give up. Only have so little ground.

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Ah, well my hedge, our dog gets around it anyway. We have a few holes he's made. Really it's just good thickness to stop the neighbors from looking down at us, we are slightly on a slope so every house to the right goes down. When our opposite neighbour cuts his down we can see into their yard, but that can't see up until ours so still privacy although I wish he'd keep his taller, but I know why he doesn't because I've found out climbing ladders etc for 2 days a year is a pain in the ass to cut ours down.

13. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

Wise choice of fairly slow growing bushes. We have a variety of bushes and trees, but keeping them trimmed takes several week ends every year and creates truck loads of green waste. We planted a tree in one corner the year that our son was born and it is now over 40 feet high.

14. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I should probably do mine twice a year.. But eh. I don't have the greatest equipment. I need one those hedgers with a pole and I can stand on the ground and just cut it all off which exist because the neighbors does it that way. Just need to research etc.

15. pattymary

pattymary Member

Thank you all for your replies, the vegetal fence is looking great! I finally put up a metal fence with shrubs in front of it, I was frightened the dogs will escape ..
    A fence is useful because of many reasons, the first one is to keep away intruders, but still your home cannot look like a prison, it has to look beautiful..Intruders can be humans or animals, and this is true that a fence is necessary for protection, this is a reality!
    I took this opportunity to be creative and to put out various little shrubs outside along the metal fence, I just had to concentrate how harmonious all this could be..Some are hibiscus, some are coleus, some green, some purple, it was great to combine them, presently everything is growing, no picture as yet!!

16. pattymary

pattymary Member

I just took a picture of the result:
    some metal fence where peas are running abundantly, and outside a variety of shrubs, but the peas are to be kept under control..It was fun to mix the different shrubs, I wonder how all this is going to grow futher.. DSC02699.JPG

Asmodean, GLENGLEN and Irminsul like this.
  17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Looks good, I like the yellow gate too. Works well with the green. You have palm trees in your area? That's cool. I only see palm trees in the movies I remember I was on the coast once holiday there were palm trees in peoples yards, blew me away lol.

pattymary likes this.
  18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Pattymary's in Jamaica, right? Inna jamdong :grinning:

pattymary likes this.
  19. pattymary

pattymary Member

Definitely, this is a tropical climate, evrything grows quite well, the only problem right now is that there is a lingering drought , no water to keep plants healthy and green..

20. I always wanted to try something like this out of willow but I don't have a big enough property. Willow roots can be very aggressive and can cause damage if planted too close to structures. It would be cheap or even free as long as you are patient. You would just need one branch from a willow tree, they root really easily. Once it grows a bit you can begin harvesting branches that can be used for your fence.

live-willow-woven-screen-fencing-or-fedge-england-uk-C4WEM3.jpg

Oddduck likes this.