Should I Take This Cottage In The Woods?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Fueled by Coffee, Aug 27, 2016.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Since I got my new job I'm looking at new places to live. I relocated to a small town not too far from the place where I grew up. This is a new town for me as I never spent a lot of time there growing up, and I don't know anybody. Finding a place to rent in a small town is much harder than what I'm used to, especially after living in a big city.

I happened to find a small 1 bedroom 1 bathroom cottage way out in the forest about 15-20 minutes from town, and 10-15 min from my job for $700/month. It is a very cute cottage built of cement and stone, built in the '30s, and located next to a creek that flows year round. You have to cross a bridge across the creek to get there, and it's located on the landlord's estate where she owns a much larger home with lots of dogs, chickens, and donkeys. There's a general store on the road, yet everything else is a much longer drive to get to.

This place sounds great but I'm reluctant to take it. The thing is that I'm a social person who is used to being around people and having convenient access to nightlife. And I'm afraid that I would get cabin fever living like a hermit in this cottage. If only I were married or in a relationship serious enough that I could live comfortably with a partner, I would be more enthusiastic to take it. But being single, new to town, and far from civilization, I'm pretty apprehensive.

Any of you like rural living? How do you find ways to live extroverted lifestyles when living in seclusion?

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I dance with trees...

While holding a chainsaw.

Anyways... I'd rather be a hermit any day and I hate city life.

3 people like this.
  3. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I would prefer to live alone in the wilderness than surrounded by people. I don't need any of the shit that cities and towns have to offer.

1 person likes this.
  4. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

Sounds really nice, I've got a place in the country too, I just couldn't pay $700 a month for rent; my house payment is half that. I love the privacy of country living, I'm on the end of a one lane gravel road. I can't see any of the neighbors houses from where I live either (although I can unfortunately hear them shooting guns).

If I were still into the night life I'd prefer to be in the city near the bars. Many was the night I could stagger home without worrying about driving and risking an accident or DUI. Plus many of my friends lived in the same neighborhood, made things very convenient. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Meliai

Meliai Banned

That sounds pretty awesome, but I'very always been kind of torn on living in the country vs city also. My main complaint about living in a secluded area is having to drive everywhere. I like living in walkable areas. But I also like living next to trees and creeks.

I usually base my living choices on practical considerations, like - can you find anything in the same price range in town, or would paying a higher rent make up for not having to drive as much?

1 person likes this.
  6. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Sounds like you've got a really good deal paying around half of what I'd supposedly be paying. This cottage comes with laundry machines, a kitchen, fireplace, livng room, and it seems to be about a little more than 1000^2 ft. Does yours have that too?

Indeed I am used to living drunken staggering distance from bars and downtown in a big city. It was awesome. I went to concerts in a spot literally across the street from my studio apartment in the city a couple years back.

So far this place has been cheaper than most of the apartments and house rentals I found in this new town. Even cheaper if I arranged a roommate situation. Living walking distance is from restaurants and public transportation is very convenient for sure, and transitioning away from such conveniences will be a challenge. I have taken a few of these things in consideration such as commuting time and gas expenses, verses living in more expensive places closer to civilization. As far as nightlife is concerned, I can see myself spending a weekend at my parent's or brother's house as they live reasonably close to it.

7. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

good setup but overpriced for me

8. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Oh man, that sounds real nice. I don't know what I'd do in that situation. I'm a city girl at heart, but there is a big part of me that absolutely loves being in the wilderness.

What is your gut telling you to do?

9. NoHobo

NoHobo Members

I've done both, and I would usually prefer the city for all of its services. You need a lot more money, a vehicle, and whatnot to survive in a rural setting. Plus, the internet is never that great in the country.

10. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

eh, it depends on what other options are available. if you're in a small town, you probably won't find any option that has really convenient access to nightlife and an extroverted lifestyle, because those things don't really exist in small towns. so this might be a good bet compared to the alternatives.

personally, my favorite places to live are always on the outskirts of town. best of both worlds typically. but again, in a small town setting, your options are limited.

1 person likes this.
  11. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

Honestly, I've been where you were in the past. I was offered a beach front house, complete with amazing pool and hot tub, in Hawaii. The caveat being that it out in the middle of nowhere part of the island. Naturally, I had to do it, because well, ocean front single family home in Hawaii.

Butttt I caution you not to do it, if you're not at that point in your life.

12. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

And totally LOL'ing $700 being too expensive to rent. I'd give a lot to pay $700 a month.

1 person likes this.
  13. deleted

deleted Visitor

no,, dis is a big hole you toss money into... i learned dis from other 4um members..

14. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

6-eye...You Would Be Surprised How Beautiful It Is To Live Alone.......I Suggest you Take The Cottage With A Short Lease

And See How You Go.......Methinks Given Time To Adjust You Will Never Look Back...... :)

Cheers Glen.

15. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

I hate living in the city, I have to be out in the country. But if I was you, after reading your comments, I'd say you really may not like that.

1 person likes this.
  16. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I like it but at this point in my life I wouldn't want to live alone in a cabin in the woods either. At other points in my life, maybe, surely much sooner with a good partner. I would also be afraid of getting cabin fever or simply the feeling of missing out on nightlife/fun pastimes with friends etc. I don't wanna sleep over every time I visit my friends (anymore). In the city I can miss out on everything btw without having that feeling. It is pretty easy to live in seclusion in the city haha. But then it feels good because I at least have the option. In the woods on my own I would feel too aware of not having this option at all. I think that's what would keep me from it at this point.

1 person likes this.
  17. mcme

mcme lurker

I've been around a little in my 52 years, and all I'm going to say is that way to many people per square foot is way worse than hardly anybody per square mile.

18. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

Geez, I guess not everyone is as rich and utterly high class as you. Also, I laugh when people like their own posts.

19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i think what you should do, depends entirely on the you only you know well enough to determine.

well i know what i would do,

first bear in mind that nothing is ever eternally for certain,

to have a place where i could make things, even if building codes wouldn't let me call them houses,

you know, work sheds, garden sheds, what have you, labrynths and mazes,

but then, i've lived most of my life by myself and been happiest doing so,

and i know that's not usual for most humans,

so i have no idea if what i'd do would be any good for anyone else or not.

1 person likes this.
  20. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Check for cable, cell phone, and high speed internet service. Also check the electrical service entrance and make sure it's at least 60 amps, but it should be 100, and check for wall outlets preferably with ground it you have a lot of electronics.

A 15-20 minute drive is nothing.

1 person likes this.