Why Are People On Hip Forums So Pretentious?

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Bud D, Aug 15, 2016.

1. zengizmo

zengizmo Ignorant Slut HipForums Supporter

:D

When I read the Bible passages about separating the wheat from the chaff, I always wonder: "Well...then who are the chaff??? Do I know anybody like that? Am *I* the chaff???"

Based on your findings tho, I am feeling comforted to realize that: "No, it looks like MAYBE I am not, in fact, the chaff. I am MAYBE a real person."

So I am grateful for your little whitepaper here, George. ;)

And yes, I do believe you are onto something.

2. zengizmo

Also whore-hey, I am fighting an urge to build an altar to you in my living room...the thing is, it would block my TV, and we gots ta have our priorities, innit?

3. zengizmo

Anyway, I suppose that knowing the shit you know is punishment enough for the "gift" of knowing it.

1 person likes this.
  4. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

The basement's fine, just use plenty of glitter, a talking Rumsfeld doll, a swatch of tan carpet (shag if you can find it) with a few burn marks and of course, a velvet Elvis.

1 person likes this.
  5. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

What really sucks is knowing that a company interviewing me has plans to jettison me after they get their first set of deliverables. It's amazing the tells some of the "smarter" HR people have. You just have to listen and read between the lines. What really helps is recording the whole conversation and then listening to it on the drive home.

A couple of years ago a firm was offering me a "real" or "permanent" position. I happen to know that such a thing does not exist, it's a fantasy employers toss out to make you work like a dog for 19 years and 11 months so they can toss you out without a pension. I took the job anyway because they had no idea what a talent I have for gumming up the works. My favorite line when they ask about something is "I'll have that finished in 3 weeks". I can sometimes get away with that for 3 or 4 rounds before they start getting terse. While I do my best to avoid taking advantage of individuals, I show NO mercy to corporations. Why should I or anyone else? Corporations are by design a predatory concept.

People way up in the food chain at a corporation are already positive they can fool you and that you're clearly an idiot since you don't work on the same floor. They're the best kind to observe as they reveal themselves in obvious ways while thinking they are being SO clever since you're just a cog. Being a psychotic nightmare in disguise cuts through all of that. At one meeting I couldn't stop thinking about using a glass award to cold cock my boss, then break the window with it and toss him out.

Which is why I'm saving myself for prison. Virgin ass trades for more smokes I hear!

1 person likes this.
  6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I hate HR types, slimy fuckers, all of them

1 person likes this.
  7. zengizmo

I just try to do what I want while ostensibly doing whatever my boss du jour seems to be asking for. One of my most pleasurable projects was creating a highly complex piece of "temporary" software that our clients obviously needed, even though my boss was pushing hard to just give them basic shit that would not help them much at all. She gave me major shit over the amount of time I spent, but in the end, I did what I wanted, and our clients were ecstatic. And that "temporary" software is still their main workhorse five years later.

I dunno nuthin, tho. ;)

It's clear that the execs three levels above me barely even know that I exist.

They could throw me to the wolves, except that my current boss, God love her, sees my value and is fighting to keep me onboard.

That is the thing, see: Sometimes God sends an angel on our behalf.

I know wut you are saying tho about being a psychotic nightmare in disguise. I kinda don't think I would ever take that road, but I know how if I wanted to.

And it's not that they would not deserve it...cuz: They would. ;) It is just that: I have other considerations.

8. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I was going to make a point but since the OP disappeared why bother.

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

But he'd have several other profiles they be lurking on. :)

10. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Its Something to talk about when its quiet on here (and its quiet on here )
    What does Pretentious mean anyway , Pretending Something ?
    What are you guys pretending ! are you pretending to be Cool people in order to impress or are you really Cool people that are pretending to be normal nerds to try to fit in here ! Whats cool anyway ?
    I myself am too thick to be pretentious or any other kind of ious really as TBH I had to Google it

EDIT
    Only kidding I am Clever as Fuck really Just being Pretendly (thats a better word )

Hey I just made up a word NURSE nurse nurse !!

2 people like this.
  11. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Can you make up a word that already exists.

12. Rots in hell

Rots in hell Senior Member

Pretendly already exists ? Bummer

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Oh.....I reread that and it makes sense now.
    I thought the word was nurse, didn't realize you needed one for making up words.

14. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I have been posting on this thing on and off since twelve years of age--I am now 26 going on 27... sometimes this place makes facebook look sane, at this point.

Regardless of belief, there is a sense of anarchy and gratitude that I have never quite found anywhere else and I could be a total pretentious a-hole, back in the day--maybe sometimes still am, but I have learned to tone it down over the years.

All I can ask anyone to do is try to be reasonable, in life.

2 people like this.
  15. Orsino2

Orsino2 Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

If anything, the HipFora is kind of like driving a Subaru... yeah, I own a 2007 Forester X, not quite the LL Bean edition,

although my daily driver is a 2014 Mercedes-Benz CLA250... in Jupiter Red,

and I now do government contracting.

:unsure:

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Ugh, a Forester, I hate those things

17. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

I cannot say I noticed.

18. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I agree. People are people, online or real life, they're people. It's just I think that there is a split between people online and in person.

There is a movie that I watched a long time ago on Lifetime that I think explained this separation, split, whatever you want to call it fairly decently. In this movie a girl that was completely normal in real life drove another girl to commit suicide. And she did this over the Internet. Obiviously, this thread is not about cyberbullying, or anything like that. But, the point is that with all the trolls, memes, and all that stuff that only happens online... there is a huge difference in atmosphere between people online and in real life. So, the same person can be completely different in real life in comparison to online. Things like morality is different as well. For example, it's easier to insult someone online than in person. It's easier to be whatever identity, or no identity online, while you have to be someone in person. And the list goes on. It's just different, even though we are all dealing with people, and it's the same person that we're dealing with.

With that kind of dehumanization and impersionalization it can be tricky having a life online and in person, while attempting to be the same person in both realities.

19. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

:argue:

Jk (hey nice to see you on here again!)

20. icetop17

icetop17 Members

everyone is looking for something