Amy's Soups Are Excellent!

Discussion in 'Vegetarian' started by Jimbee68, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Many of the stores in my area are carrying Amy's Soups. And they are excellent!

They are all vegan. (I think if you go vegetarian, vegan is really the way to go. In for a penny, in for a pound, I think.) And they use some really exceptional ingredients. Even if you never tried vegetarian or vegan, you'll love Amy's. Trust me.

Actually, I do have a confession to make to you all. Although I do like Amy's, I am still a hopeless carnivore. (Although, in my heart, I am a vegan. As I said, sorry again, if this offends.)

It's just, I live on a fixed income. And it is way to expensive to be vegan, I think. And rather impractical. My local Meijer's is the only store that has a vegetarian section. One little freezer area. Yeah, that really helps :wall:.

Feel free to offer your encouragements, to make me go fully over to the vegan way of life. But as I said, until I make more money, I just don't see it any time soon. Sorry again. :)

:daisy: [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Oh, and I have got to tell you all. I just had Amy's vegan chili, today in fact. And it is excellent too. It looks just like regular chili. In fact, I was even wondering that as I ate it. But I am sure Amy wouldn't just be fooling us. And it is not only excellent, but indistinguishable from regular taste-wise too. My only criticism of Amy, is she also sells vegetarian products--i.e., with animal byproducts.

As I said, I have yet to cross over myself. But still, vegetarianism is just as bad as meat eating, in my opinion at least :) .

3. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

So, you eat meat and you disagree with a vegetarian company selling vegetarian food? Because is isn't puré enough for you?
    This doesn't make sense to me.
    If you see vegetarianism as a aspirational timeline, and vegan is the ultimate goal, isn't any step along the way part of the journey?
    Amy's is not a vegan company and doesn't market as such. They are a meatless company. That's different.

If cost really is what's hampering you, do a subforum search for budget or cheap. Start with the top sticky in the forum!
    We have talked about how to eat on the cheap many times over the years.

4. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Well. thanks for calling me out about this. I'm serious, I want people to encourage me to be more ethical in my food choices :) . Because I still eat meat. And it bothers me every time.

I do have to ask you, though. Who do you dislike less: a meat eater, who does it and is proud of it (or conversely, indifferent to it). Or a confused carnivore, who eats meat, but then feels guilty afterwards?

I have to tell you too, my mother was the exact same way. She was an avid supporter of PETA. Yet, she served us meat every night. You know, if we want to have the perfect society, where meat eating is no longer the norm, we won't get there all at once. Baby steps. We will only get there by baby steps.

Again, though, I really am sorry if I offended you (or anyone else on these boards).

:punk: [​IMG]

5. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

BTW, I just read the post about the policy of "pro-meat" posts, in this forum: http://www.hipforums.com/forum/topic/311626-pro-meat-posters/

I don't think my posts were pro-meat, and the moderators thus far seem to agree with me. But if I am in the wrong, they can simply delete whatever they want, and I will offer my sincerest apologies, along with the promise to never do it again :) .

But really though, I do think my posts are important. There must be many people out there, struggling every day as I do, with the internal conflicts about the matter. But as I said, I will abide by whatever decisions the mods make.

:daisy:

6. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

I've been vegetarian for 20 years, and tried being vegan for a short while once or twice but failed because I love cheese too much.

I often wonder if I'm not really designed for a vegetarian diet, since I have always remained carnivo-curious. I'd still enjoy a steak, or a fish supper, or black pudding is something that I most the most for some reason, and that's just blood.

But I remain veggie for health reasons, ethical reasons, and possibly spiritual reasons. I don't think it's wrong to be honest about the fact that I'd still enjoy eating meat, and have considered the possibility that some of my food allergies that sem to have developed over the years, and slight health problems (possibly ME?) might be related to my dietary choices. I think it's possible that some people are better designed for a vegetarian lifestyle than others.

A friend of mine was having health problems, and he turned veggie around the same time as me. He went to his doctor and was recommended to start eating meat. He started eating meat again and his health improved. Whether this was related to his diet, or maybe he was just not eating the rights things is open for deabte.

I do feel I can derive all of the nutrition I need from a vegetarian diet. I try to eat plenty of green vegetables like spinach, and derive protein from eggs and paneer, which I make myself from milk. Beans and pulses are also good, potatoes. Lentils.

7. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I would recommend reading: "The Ethics of What We Eat", by Peter Singer. That book was a game changer for me, in terms of perspective. Singer does tend to offend and enrage some, but I found my offense was taken largely because of guilt.

Vegetarians live longer, on average. Is that motivation for you? I don't know about vegans. I'm sure a quick Google search would yield answers. I've found vegetarianism much less expensive then eating meat, but I can imagine that vegan might be comparable or slightly more pricey than an omnivore's diet. I don't feel restricted in my daily intake, and have never suffered any health problems --the only "detriments" I've had from this "diet" are improved health, a few more dollars in my wallet, and perhaps opening myself up for judgement for my dietary selections. Some people are personally offended by the very existence of those who chose not to eat meat or other animal products. Those have been side effects I've been willing to endure ;).

Also. I, too, love Amy's! Their minestrone, lentil soup, and spicy chili are fabulous! One of the only canned soup brands I have tried that don't have that "canned" taste.

8. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I'm not a vegetarian or vegan but eating meat is expensive. unless you are buying nothing but premade meals, I feel like going vegetarian or vegan could be cheaper. If you do only buy premade meals, eating is kind of expensive either way.

9. drumminmama

Dude, I AM the moderator. This was the first of a handful of boards I monitored until Skip recruited me as a site wide "super"mod. That is my policy you referenced.

10. drumminmama

First, what does it matter what I think? I'm not in your kitchen.

Ethics are where a human makes a promise to herself/himself to be better than the day before. It's all you.
    I don't care what someone else eats. I can think it odd, or unclean, but it isn't my bother, unless it's my kitchen.
    To a degree, I respect the hunter/angler and those that raise their own, but I know flesh food is so deeply ingrained in the culture that there will likely never be a vegetarian west. And should it ever be so? An animal can eat what humans cannot, and become food, when needed. In the developed world it isn't needed, it's a luxury.

What I find sad is a person who never reaches their ethical goal but makes excuses.
    A stride takes the same energy as a baby step, and gets farther along the journey.

When I started the path of a vegetarian life, I was 13, living in Texas and there wasn't easy access to the Web. It was the age of BBS, and no computers in my home. Or access at the library. And to not eat meat was to be a pinko commie, something I embraced.
    It took a year for me to figure out how to live as a vegetarian with my family. Luckily, I cooked most meals at home, so that was simple. It was another year before I got a handle on prepared food and animal ingredients. Several years later, I started eating flavored yogurt, and learned about fish gelatin, and other kosher animal based gelatins. Now I flavor plain yogurt as I need it. No key lime pie, but no animal connective tissue either.

There are as many reasons for being veg as there are people being veg*n. Find yours, or accept who you are, without excuses.

1 person likes this.
  11. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

Drumminmama

Why the * to replace the a in vegan? I have never seen anyone do that before and am curious.

1 person likes this.
  12. drumminmama

It's a Boolean wildcard.
    Vegan or vegetarian, with a lot less typing.

13. The Walking Dickhead

So there are hundreds of millions of reasons to be veg?

14. drumminmama

Yes, because each person will have their own mix and ratio of reasoning. And, dedication.

15. The Walking Dickhead

And animal. What about reasoning overlap. Two or more people may share the same reason, for example health or ethical consumerism are both popular choices, thus the overall number of reasons must be way less than your estimate.

16. drumminmama

Clarify what you mean by "and animal," please.

I am saying that every person who chooses to abstain from meat or animal product has an individual mix of why they do it, the degree to which they do it, and ultimately, how long they will do it.

An individual is not a Venn diagram.

Yes, there are broad categories.

17. The Walking Dickhead

Many animals are veg*n too, however you said 'people' not 'creatures' so that kind of negates the point I was making.

Also, by veg I assume you mean veg*n..

Yes, I am being pedantic. Nonetheless, your statement did infer there are hundreds of millions of reasons to be veg.