Composing Games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by gentle_dissident, Jul 28, 2016.

1. gentle_dissident

gentle_dissident Members

I think it's time for me to jump into video game design. I need a 3D engine. My comp specs are, Intel® Xeon® CPU W3540 @ 2.93GHz, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 295, 6.00 GB RAM, Win 7 Pro. Don't laugh, I got a bargain. What would you recommend?

What games have you made?

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

3. gentle_dissident

gentle_dissident Members

I see. I remembered I'd picked up Game Guru in a Humble Bundle. It's slow as molasses. I checked the specs and it wants a $300 graphics card at least. So does Unreal Engine. I'm not going to pay crazy money for a graphics card. I wish I could find an engine that is N64 quality. I'd love to find something that has the quality of Mike Oldfield's Music VR games. They play on anything.

4. gentle_dissident

gentle_dissident Members

I don't get it. I'm able to play the Doctor Who Adventure Game. It seems I should be able to find an engine my workstation can handle.

I really didn't get this thing to play games. It's for making art and music. It does a fine job there.

5. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

I haven't made a game in about 30 years. I was using a mix of commodore basic and machine language. I made a shooter game where you are a penis protecting a vagina.

Java for android apps is where the money is at these days, IMO.

6. gentle_dissident

gentle_dissident Members

Thanks for the bizarre disinfo.

I know someone who programmed in machine language. He delivers soft drinks now.

I got my USB N64 joystick fired up, now I just need an efficient engine like Quake with mechanisms for interaction. The game in my head doesn't involve projectiles.

7. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Now that's a SWEET GIG!

8. gentle_dissident

gentle_dissident Members

OMG I found it! FPS Creator Classic is exactly what I was looking for. It's beautiful! It's got scripts for everything. It's now free!

https://github.com/LeeBamberTGC/FPS-Creator-Classic

There are a ton of resources on that page if you're not into making your own.

Recommended
    Window XP Home / XP Pro
    Pentium 4, 2.66 Ghz (or equivalent)
    1GB RAM
    CDROM Drive
    1.4 Gigs of Hard Drive Space (+space for created games)
    DirectX 9.0c
    DirectX 9.0 compatible Sound Card
    DirectX 9.0 compatible Mouse and Keyboard
    DirectX 9.0 compatible Video Card (3D Hardware Accelerated) with
    at least 128MB of memory

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I made a board game awhile back using the free version Gamemaker, you can make fps games in it but you might need the pay version.

There's also one called Silent Walk

10. gentle_dissident

gentle_dissident Members

I'm currently running through the tutorials for FPS Creator Classic. I'll try Silent Walk later. I'll also check out the free version of Gamemaker. I'm trying to make a puzzle adventure game. It involves no shooting.

Would you post a link to your board game? I love board games.

Thanks.

11. MeAgain

I never uploaded it anywhere and it's to big to email.

It's based on the game Leela, which is what the kids' game Chutes and Ladders came from. Deepak Chopra has a video game by the same name but completely different.

Here's an image of a game board, not mine, mine doesn't look this good.
    [​IMG]
    I'd show you mine but I'm to lazy to look for it.

Basically what you do is start on square six, middle bottom, roll a die and move the spaces called by the die. So if you roll a two you move to space eight. Then once on square eight I had another screen appear which tells you about square eight. The idea is climb up the rows to square sixty eight, Enlightenment. If you land on a snake, say the Jealousy square you drop back down. If you land on an arrow, like mercy, you shoot up.

So I had to draw the board, figure out how to control the die, move the courser, switch screens, jump up or down rows, etc. Then I used the book Leela by Harish Johari to define the squares. I had to paraphrase and rewrite his explanations to fit into my format.

It was fun but I don't remember how I made it and I once I do something I have the irritating habit of completely abandoning it or I'd be rich and famous by now.

So anyway it's non competitive, my version was solitaire as that's all I could figure out but any number could play. It's a spiritual teaching game so there's no market for it at all.

12. gentle_dissident

gentle_dissident Members

I understand. It's like everyone wants a shooter. I feel like I'm surrounded by Stormtroopers. I'm running into limitations with content creation and scripting with FPS Creator Classic. Silent Walk: Renaissance has scripting, but it's 640 X 480. My native resolution is 1920 X 1080. It doesn't run past the opening menu in 640 X 480 compatibility mode.

I'd like something that can make N64 type games or, even better, Mike Oldfield type games. I'd like to be able to import Bryce,TrueSpace 4, or Sketchup exports. Blender is a bit overkill. When I was employed as a 3D artist and animator in 1986, I used Topaz. I made amazing models and animations in no time at all. I'd show you my portfolio, but it was stolen. I left the field due to the amount of coke heads.

13. gentle_dissident

gentle_dissident Members

I found a couple of resources that are showing me that I should not give up on FPSC.

14. MeAgain

I used to dabble with LightWave on a Amiga VideoToaster/Flyer way back at work...but my time was always limited. Most I did on it was an animated transparent 2 cycle engine.

One of my co workers was pretty good on Blender and wrote a lot of online tutorials for it.

15. gentle_dissident

gentle_dissident Members

Have you tried Sketchup? It treats the user like a carpenter. The tools are intuitive and quick.

I did these around 84 with an Atari 1200 and a 2600 joystick.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

17. gentle_dissident

gentle_dissident Members

Forbidden
    You do not have permission to access this document.

Web Server at geeksofdoom.com

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i haven't, but if you're serious, unreal engine, unity5 (with occulus support), and blender or maya, or other professional 3d authoring tools (blender is actually free and has its own built in game engine, extensible with python scripting too). there are tons of online tutorials for each of these, and for and about the video gaming industry.