Anyone Else Remember The Closure Of Lafayette Clinic?

Discussion in 'Mental Health' started by Jimbee68, Jul 27, 2016.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I admit, it is an obscure reference, if you're not from Michigan. So I will fill you in.

There was this wonderful mental hospital in Detroit, LaFayette Clinic. Yes, it was a public hospital. But it was a cut above the rest. And it was on the foreground of research into treatment of mental illnesses. New medicines and cutting-edge therapies were being studied then. You may have not have heard of it. But there is a good chance your doctor did. It had nationwide fame for the research it did alone.

Then in 1992, Republican Governor of Michigan, John Engler, suddenly closed it. It was a bargain for the residents of Michigan, something like just a dollar a year IIRC. And the good it did in this world was immeasurable. But Engler just closed it. People still wonder why. The way he did it hurt a lot of the families that had patients there too, I remember. Having the police just round up the patients, often not even telling their family members where they were taking them.

Anyways, Gov. Engler was a sociopath. But I am not going discuss him. I was just wondering if anyone even remembers it, or even heard of it outside of Michigan, for that matter.

I did a Google search for the story. But all I could find was this: https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/98323674/

You can do your own Google search, if you want. Just look up "closure of LaFayette Clinic Detroit", if you want. As I said, it was all tragic, very tragic. I think the loss, to research alone, is still felt to this day by patients and their families.

:) :) :)

1 person likes this.
  2. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Sounds about right. Ayn Rand would approve, that's the important issue.