Girlfriend Is Taking Laxatives And Water Retention Tablets. (Eating Disorder)

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by insanodano, Jul 26, 2016.

1. insanodano

insanodano Member

Hi,

I'm not 100% where to go with this. I'll make this story quick.

My girlfriend has had problems with taking laxatives or not eating much before. These stunts normally last a couple of months and reoccur maybe 2 or 3 times a year. She has never been unhealthily thin, but there have been some physical effects like a patch of hair loss or feeling unwell.

This has always been a bit of a secret thing and it'll stop either when I find out or if she starts to feel very unwell. This time is different because I started seeing signs that it was happening again and she told me.

It's good that she felt like she could talk to me but it also puts me in a position where if I pressure her she won't tell me again and it'll become a secret again. I threw the laxatives and the water retention tablets away but she's brought some more (but not taken any yet).

I know she needs help but she won't accept that it's a problem. I know secretly she knows she needs help.

Where do I go from here? I have a pretty good understanding of this illness and I know that it's more of a control thing.

Thanks.

2. morrow

morrow Visitor

A Dr, or get her a relevant councillor..

She needs help, it's something she can't quit herself, and you can't do most of it for her, except be there for her.

She is causing so much damage to herself, she needs the help and understanding to stop..

Good luck, you sound like a loving thoughtful guy, lucky girl!

1 person likes this.
  3. Michael Phelps

Michael Phelps Am I being detained?

Definitely a situation that requires a professional's help. You are a good friend and please follow up with your helping. Maybe you can have meals together. But that still leaves room for her to purge or starve herself in anticipation of your meals.
    Professional help, and that's still tough if she will go because someone has to foot the bill.
    Peace and love and good luck

4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Maybe find a support group.