What Is Time?

Discussion in 'Science and Technology' started by Bud D, Jul 23, 2016.

1. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Gravity, temperature and many other variables are involved in changing of the seasons...

So the obvious question is what is time? :p

2. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I wish the exact answer was as obvious as the question :D

3. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

And there's real time, like the predictable propagations of atomic particles. As opposed to our perceived time, which can be skewed drastically depending on our mental states.

1 person likes this.
  4. Bud D

Bud D Member

2012 was supposed to mean that there is a tilt that the Earth does every 26,000 years. There is a wobble and Orion sets every 26,000, roughly. Ancient man used the sky as a calender. They counted this as the largest measurement of time. They counted the 26,000 years as era's, as they had no larger indication of time. Of course visionaries are going to use these to try to predict man's behavior and the results of such behavior.

5. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Keep on beating on something, and see how much quicker erosion occurs...has nothing to do with time...to state the obvious.

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIPOR55M_P0

7. Asmodean

'How much quicker' erosion occurs has nothing to do with time? :p

8. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

LOL, but how much quicker???

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I always used to wonder like, well why does 60 seconds equal a minute? Does it equal a minute? That's just a human made up equation. What if an hour isn't 60 minutes at all? A day here is 24hrs, yeah? But a day on another planet may last half that or 4x longer. So what's a day? Is it still 24hrs? :D

If it exists on earth then it exists elsewhere, but what if it's not time at all? That's just another human made up word/equation again. What if time isn't actually time. Hopefully by the end of this thread we'd have read the word time so much that it loses all complete meaning to us and then we can all sit here and ponder whether we just wasted our time or used it very wisely. Hehe.

Anyway to me time is just a buncha numbers. Numbers are just a made up language. 1+1=2 to us because that's what we've learned and that's what makes sense, but what if in another galaxy 1+1 doesn't equal 2? What if we've been wrong all this time?

Unless the human race has in fact encountered beings from another dimension and or another world, then all we have on this earth is exactly what we've made up ourselves, so that we can understand and make sense of things.

I once read that if you could literally travel at the speed of light you'd never age. And that people who fly around the world very frequently age less due to the fast speed they're traveling at. I was always taught that time ages everything. Archeologists can report that under certain circumstances and under certain environments, that you can in fact "preserve" time. Preservation is interesting to think of when thinking about time. The definition is to keep alive or in existence, but doesn't time contradict preservation?

1 person likes this.
  10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It takes one year for earth to go around the sun. 365 days. One year.

Pluto takes two hundred and fourty eight years to go around the sun.

But we've been taught that it takes one year to revolve around the sun. But on Pluto, assuming you could live that long, you'd be saying it take one year still to revolve the sun, because that's what we've been taught on earth, because that's what makes sense to earthlings. That's what I'm getting at. Time and maths... (At least as to how we know and understand it) ... It's really only relative to us.

If light has a Mathematical formulation behind it, and light years undoubted can be measured in time and a black hole can suck in all visable light? Does time come to stand still, a stop inside a black hole? Imagine that! We all think anything entering a black hole will be devoured and destroyed anyway, but can you destroy time?

11. Asmodean

That's why a day in the context of outer space is called an earth day. But as most people do not get in outer space it makes sense to just use the term day in the context of our every day life on the planet :p

Earth year ;) Every planet has its own days and years regardless of human thinking. We just have the words day and year for it. A minute and hour are imaginary human concepts in all ways, a day and a year however less as they are really based on an actual passing of time (albeit ultimately only useful in regards to planet Earth as days and years are based on its movement and rotation).

About how time can be influenced by gravity like light, yeah that is mighty intriguing stuff!

12. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Every post here is reinforced with a 'time stamp', so no matter how much we try to skirt the issue of time, the immediate side effects of time are staring back at us.

However, I agree time as we perceive it is mostly a construct of the human mind, it may be somewhat true with other dimensions as well though. For instance you mention the relativity of the passing of time on different planets and to further that idea, from my basic understanding, that what we see as 'solid' objects, if we could zoom in to a very precise level of the particles of an object, at some level, the objects would no longer be solid, as the particles of the objects are not touching in a way that they appear to us that make them 'solid', so how do we describe length, width, and height then?

Our minds emerged and developed out of a very specific set of conditions on this planet, so we lived that way for many millennia and it wasn't really until the past century that our understanding of time got turned on it's head so to speak.

13. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

Erosion was the wrong word. If he said decay...then you can beat on it all you want but the carbon would still decay at the same rate.

14. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

thats the perception of time, the actual clock moves the same for both.

15. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

come again? who dosnt age? name one person who has not aged? just one...of course i mean those that have lived as adults for more than 20 years. now that we have that out of the way...name one.

16. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

ok the non literal rope is let go...fun to hear in this pool of individuals who may have or not have existed

17. AlwaysJusChillin

AlwaysJusChillin Banned

Time is the fourth dimension.

I learned this in woodshop class in high school.

18. DarkSideOfTheMoon94

DarkSideOfTheMoon94 Members

This is time....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwYX52BP2Sk

2 people like this.
  19. The Walking Dickhead

The Walking Dickhead orbiter of helion

I might also be the first dimension, or the second or third. The x-axis might be the y-axis or the z-axis, we just don't know because we don't know what way up the universe is.

20. One could always doubt that time passes in the absence of conscious awareness. Perhaps consciousness moves through a static physical reality. It isn't that anything is ever changing, or eroding, but just that we are coming to the conclusion of the timeless structure of things. We view reality in slices of what it actually is, slices changing from moment to moment. I don't know why it is that way, but it has to be some way, so why not?

I do believe that consciousness exists along all points of the superstructure of the material world simultaneously. I think our consciousness in the present can be present in the past and can alter the past whilst simultaneously it is shaping the future from the present as well. The latter of which should be patently obvious. Time itself is nothing, just like our consciousness is nothing. It's too much what we are to be able to point outside of ourselves and say "This is time." Just like we can't point outside of ourselves and say "This is consciousness." A linear stream of events just happens to be the way in which human consciousness interacts with reality. It is the consciousness itself that is changing, and it is the only thing that is really changing or really can change.

21. magickman

magickman Supporters HipForums Supporter

Time is coming, going, and gone. Kind of like sex.

1 person likes this.
  22. WOLF ANGEL

WOLF ANGEL Senior Member - A Fool on the Hill Lifetime Supporter

Time is a calendar measurement of monitoring - However - "All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”

23. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I want the 5 minutes back I just spent reading through this thread.....

1 person likes this.
  24. Marsquake

Marsquake Members

Time is what defines what you are and will be.