Do You Live In The Same Town Where You Grew Up?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Fueled by Coffee, Jul 23, 2016.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Currently I do not. But I'm contemplating moving back. My family is 300 miles (480km) and they still live in the same town. I'm thinking about the benefits of a support system, but I love the city where I currently live.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I didn't even live in the same town growing up...

3. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

no, thank god.

4. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeah, i always intended to move but my city went through a lot of rapid growth in the last 10 - 12 years (in a good way) and became somewhere i actually enjoy living. And i like being close to my mom. I feel like she wont be here forever and if I move away from her thats time i'll never get back.

5. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Mhmmm. Born and raised Vancouverite. We are a rare breed around here.

6. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

Not really but in a strange way yes. I was raised the first 12 years in Montreal but all of our family was in Ottawa area so we spent almost all weekends and holidays in Ottawa.

My dad was eventually posted back to Ottawa so to me it is more home than anywhere else. :)

7. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

yes

they are currently tearing down the hospital i was born in and turning it into lakeside condos

seems weird but i have this strange idea that it would be nice to have enough cash to live there so i could leave this world in the same place i entered

3 people like this.
  8. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

That doesn't seem weird to me at all. I think it is a beautiful idea.

9. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Ya know, I feel the same way. I was bored of my town and ventured off. But being away for a long time caused me to appreciate my family and my home town that much more. My home town has seen a lot of positive changes in the last 10 years just as much. I'd be more inclined to stay here if I wasn't single and if I still had my old job.

1 person likes this.
  10. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I rather like this idea. Full circle! :)

11. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Yes and no. No, for the first five years. Yes, for the rest. I tend to say I lived here all my life. Even though, that's not really true. It's just I don't remember that far back, so it feels like I've been here all my life.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

nope. lived more then 40 of my 68 years in the same county where i grew up, but i'm not there now either.
    didn't grow up in the town i was born in either, but i know that's another subject entirely.
    it wouldn't actually be my first choice to live in any town at all. as such.
    but i would have been happy could in have spent more of the rest of my life and live currently in the kind of environment,
    forest semi-wilderness mountain side, a few miles from town.

the only reason to me, for me, to live in a city/larger town, is to not have to indenture myself to a car.
    the only reason i would want a car, would be to not have to live in a city.

i did spend most of my life in the same general area of a handful of small towns,
    most in the mountains surrounded by forest.

where i live now is within a hundred miles of them.
    and its not the largest town that is.
    but it is my prefered of those large enough to have a bus system that i can also afford to live in.
    mostly because the climate is dryer and a little cooler.

so its not the same town. and i did live for several shorter periods of time further away,
    but it is the same general area, as where i grew up, and have lived the longest parts of my life.

the area in question is the i-80 corridor between sacramento california and reno nevada.
    colfax, where i went to school most of my k-12 years, is pretty close to the halfway point.

the longest time i've been away from the area was 77-87 when i was up in oregon

13. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Well I was born in London and I still live here, but I don't know if I can for too much longer. It's so fucking expensive to live here and it's just getting worse every year.

14. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yes, I do.

It's the same town that my parents and their parents did also.

15. deepwoods

deepwoods Members

Yes, same town and property. Grandparents left me their place which is where i grew up.

16. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

No. I didn't really grow up in a specific town and I don't live in a place I'd ever lived previously

17. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

No and I don't think that I'd want to move back. Aside from maybe a couple parks, It's not even really the same town8 I knew growing up. The town has really taken off and has alot more high end type stores now compared to my youth.

I don't really enjoy where I'm living now either but preferable places aren't too far away.

18. Frieden

Frieden Senior Member

No, thank goodness. The town I grew up in is totally atrocious. I spent six weeks there this summer, and I feel as though I had been completely ostracized by the locals, not that I care much.

19. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Born And Bred Here.......Lived Here All My Life......No Doubt I Will Die Here......Hopefully Not In The Near Future.....[​IMG]

Cheers Glen.

1 person likes this.
  20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i live within a hundred miles of it now, but haven't done so consistently since. nor was the town i grew up in, anywhere near where i was born. almost opposite sides of the content.
    but i have always lived closer to where i grew up then where i was born.