Average Times It Takes For A Movie To Land Across The Board?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by bourne1978, Jul 22, 2016.

1. bourne1978

bourne1978 Members

Average time for a movie released in theater to hit the following, is about how long?

1. pay per view?
    2. dvd/blu-ray?
    3. cable/sat t.v. premium networks?
    4. cable/sat basic networks?
    5. digital t.v. networks (broadcast networks)?

Wisdom says that you should leave some movies to be seen in other ways besides the in theater way. Save some for later, is a saying that sounds kind of wise, wouldn't you say? :)

It is my understanding that movies enter into cycles of play on channels. So it should be cool in knowing this,since it means you are less likely to completely miss ever seeing a certain movie you badly wanted to see.

2. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

no idea what the numbers are, but it seems to be much faster than it used to be. when i was young, it seemed like a movie would play in the theater for 3 months, then come out on video and pay per view a year later, then on premium networks a year after that, and on regular tv a few years later. now it seems like they're in the theater for 3 weeks, immediately going to video and pay per view, and through the cycle and on to regular tv in a year or two at the most.

3. bourne1978

bourne1978 Members

Yeah, it took longer back in the day. My only knowledge is that the dvd is released after about 4 months from the in theater release. This is just based on a movie called "Redemption" starring Jason Staham, that I happened to notice about this some time ago. Yeah, it has gotten quicker. I'm just not hip to all of the ways speeds.

With today's tech it should be easier for them to edit rated R films for digital t.v. airings.

I'm pretty sure the blockbusters get priority when it comes to the releasing of movies onto regular t.v. Which means a person like me can aford to wait on the seeing of certified blockbusters.