Right To Repair

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by relaxxx, Jul 11, 2016.

1. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

Responsible decent companies release schematics and service documentation and offer reasonable repair services. Crooked unethical companies keep service documents secret, encourage wasteful "buy new" policies, charge outrageous service fees, and sue third party repair shops.

Fight for your right to service the devices you own. Support companies that actually support their products and provide open information.

http://ifixit.org/right

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VAvJMiPdO0E

2. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

So what he's saying is you can't get SAMS sheets for all electronics these days.

3. relaxxx

relaxxx Senior Member

In his case I believe he has "obtained" most of the schematic documents that he needs but Apple does not officially release them. As a strategy they add copywritten graphics in an effort to threaten and sue unauthorized shops. He has been threatened by Apple lawyers and knows of repair shops that have been raided and shut down for replacing iphone screens. The ironic thing is that the Apple technicians that have access to these schematics don't ever use them because their policy is to replace any board at their expensive flat rates or up-sell the customers to a newer device. Even if the motherboard just needs a 20 cent fuse, they won't do it.

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Well, I was never an apple fan dating back to the IIe.

5. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Gee Relaaxxxxxxx that sure explains lots.

I was involved with them way back when... but their big deal was an 80 megabyte hard drive and a VGA monitor... sure it had a Mac OS...but Windows 1.0 was also out then and there was little difference... then or now... except I can easily fix a PC... but can't get Apple parts to fix a damn thing... it's all proprietary, patented, locked up and all you get to do is buy a new one when something goes wrong.

So many reasons this is bad... not the least of which might be the environment.

6. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i see that guys videos lots on youtube and watch just because i find him entertaining

i have no interest in computer repairs but i like the way that guy works