Two Year Old Drowned By Disney's Alligator

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Aerianne, Jun 15, 2016.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Ya know some guy fell into a hot spring and died in Yellowstone last week. They couldn't recover his body as there was nothing left.

I've been to Florida and Yellowstone and both places have their own dangers, same as anyplace else. You can't put fences everywhere.

People need to be vigilant and aware of their surroundings.

2 people like this.
  2. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

How horrific for everyone involved. I am not even sure how any person recovers from seeing or experiencing that.

1 person likes this.
  3. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I can only imagine how tragic that might have been for the family. They are from Nebraska, an area where alligators are the last thing they would worry about. Perhaps they weren't even considering that possibility. I hate to fault the parents for a tragedy such as this, it doesn't seem fair. If they had known that their 2 year old might have gotten attacked, I'm sure they would have been more vigilant. The blame game isn't helping anyone here.

I traveled to the Everglades a few years back, and it was one of the most interesting places I've ever been. The path and shoreline was thick with sunning alligators. They don't bother you in the daytime, and become more active at dawn/dusk/night. They tend to attack when you intrude on their space or otherwise antagonize them.

4. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I hold Disney completely responsible.

Do not put your guests in harm's way!!!

FFS

5. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Guests have to be warned. Like at the Grand Canyon, where everybody is notified at the main entrance about elk roaming the park that may charge your car and damage it. They can't put a sign everywhere, so they just tell you on the way in.

6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeah, I agree. Seems kind of ridiculous to not put signs up warning about alligators - people who are not familiar with coastal regions of the southern US really shouldnt be expected to know that alligators often make their way into man made ponds.

I dislike the idea of babysitting people - tourists should be expected to do their own research and to understand the dangers when visiting a wilderness area. But this is Disney, not the Everglades and Disney has a responsibility to educate their guests on any dangers on their premises.

A no swimming sign isnt really enough to indicate any immediate danger.

7. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

8. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Of course, poisonous snakes show up in all the same wet environments, and are statistically much more likely to kill you. Like, a hundred times more likely. For human fatalities, they beat the combined totals for all other animals and fish.

9. outhaboxx

outhaboxx Members

this is not Disney's fault. this is a lack of common sense. it is a horrible thing and very sad, i can't even imagine what these ppl are going through right now. growing up in Louisiana i am well aware of the dangers that alligators can present, they are extremely aggressive right now due to nesting. these ppl may not have been aware of that but given common knowledge, they should have had an idea that these creatures are nocturnal, not only that but i would be weary of any area that has signs posting "beware." the thing is you cannot "get away" from the alligators in Florida, the whole southern portion of the state is covered in wetlands that are protected by the government. these creatures have been there forever, they have every right to be, if ppl were to simply kill every alligator they come in contact with they wouldsoo, cease to exist, then there would be more finger pointing. they eat small rodents roughly the same size as that child, it was most likely hunting or protecting its nest. i can't help but wonder why that child was in the water, wading- walking-splashing-or whatever, to begin with. it was at night. the lesson in all of this is that we must be aware of our surroundings, whether we are in mountain country or the swamps, we have to pay attention because nature will not think twice. another thing is that alligators can actually get over fences so that doesn't help much either. i feel for the family it is a sad sad situation.

1 person likes this.
  10. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Although sad, indeed , and I cannot even imagine something like this and that poor child...I also feel sad for 4 alligators they killed who were not guilty, and the one that dragged the baby away, but did not eat him is still wanted by the FBI....to kill it....I guess killing it will make everyone feel better about the matter.....Man is certainly in the dark ages about so many things.

2 people like this.
  11. outhaboxx

outhaboxx Members

definitely right, i had the same thought. i was brought back to to child in the zoo recently, another case of ppl not paying attention. they killed that gorrilla.... i see the sense of urgency but damn. i think our morality has gone out of the window along with common sense. these things could have been prevented, and i honestly believe that gator was just acting on instict - what is natural. we have to wake up we can't expect the world to change for us just because we're too damn arrogant to take the time to stop and think for a second.

12. Aerianne

I still maintain that it is a shitty policy to put inviting, sandy beaches all around an alligator lake without putting up signs to warn people about the alligators.

RIP Lane.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. Piney

Piney Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

There are Burmese Pythons, Alligator Snapping Turtles

14. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Pythons are florida's biggest problem as they're not supposed to be there. well, humans are Florida's biggest problem considering they're the ones releasing their pet pythons into the wild

1 person likes this.
  15. Aerianne

FINALLY! Way to go, Disney. :rolleyes:

WTAF took so long?!

Again, RIP baby Lane.

Disney World released a photo of signs it plans to erect at all its resorts with beaches. The red, white and black signs say "Danger! Alligators and snakes in area. Stay away from the water. Do not feed the wildlife."
    Previously, signs had said simply "no swimming."
    "We are installing signage and temporary barriers at our resort beach locations and are working on permanent, long-term solutions at our beaches," Disney said in a statement. "We continue to evaluate processes and procedures for our entire property, and, as part of this, we are reinforcing training with our cast for reporting sightings and interactions with wildlife and are expanding our communication to Guests on this topic."http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-disney-grand-floridian-fence-sign-20160617-story.html

16. Aerianne