Two Year Old Drowned By Disney's Alligator

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Aerianne, Jun 15, 2016.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

2. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Is there really a way to keep them out?

Florida is a fucking scary place, for several reasons. Alligators are near the top of my list.

3. Aerianne

Karen, the resort has a sugar white beach along the lake and signs that say "no swimming". They family was walking on the beach and the kid walked into foot deep water. Yes, there is a way to keep them out. You use fences and don't entice people with white beaches around alligator lakes.

4. Aerianne

This is it:

User Actions
    Follow

[​IMG]Mark LehmanVerified account@MarkLehman6

This is where #DisneyGatorAttack happened. Boy was grabbed at resort on left side of lake, Magic Kingdom is up top.

[​IMG]

The family of five from Nebraska was on vacation at the Seven Seas Lagoon outside a resort around nightfall Tuesday when the child waded no more than 1 or 2 feet into the water and was taken from a small beach, sheriff’s and state wildlife officials said.
    The boy’s father desperately tried to save him, suffering lacerations on a hand. Neither could a lifeguard who was nearby, officials said.
    “No swimming” signs were posted at the beach, Williamson said, but the child was wading, not swimming.http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/06/15/disney-alligator-boy-water-dragged-beaches-seven-seas-lagoon/

5. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I guess you could fence the entire lake, but the gators might still come through the drain pipes. Or dig under the fence.

I still think the whole state needs giant warning signs at the borders and airports, listing all the different ways Florida can kill you. Gators, infected mosquitoes, exotic tropical diseases in the Keys, snakes by the zillions, violent drug smugglers, nutty "stand your ground" gun freaks, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.

A few years ago, I was at the Silver Springs tourist park, and the alligators were all over the place! No way to get away from them. Every sidewalk passed within a few feet of a gator sunning itself in the grass near a lagoon or pond or river. Yikes! Not the right kind of place for me.

I don't know why more kids don't get eaten. Half the northeastern tourists don't have a clue what they're getting themselves into.

6. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Why is there an un-fenced lake with alligators in it even in close proximity to Disney World?

I am baffled at the stupidity here.

1 person likes this.
  7. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

OMG, fire up Google Maps and look at the aerial pics of the complex. There's water everywhere! Trying to keep all the gators out of all that would be as hopeless as trying to kill every rat in New York City.

Natives are used to seeing them around and dealing with them, so they don't understand how terrifying it can be for outsiders.

8. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

That's so scary.

Why do people go there....if it has alligators, I ain't going there....

Or any place with sharks.

9. Ashalicious

But why not put a fence at least around the body of water near DISNEY WORLD at least? It is pretty obvious that the little kids are going to be primarily in this proximity, and an easy target for the gators.

1 person likes this.
  10. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I'm saying there are hundreds if not thousands of bodies of water, large and small, on their property. It's a huge complex, thousands of acres of theme parks, hotels, condo units, golf courses, you name it.

I guess every place has its own hazards and problems, and ignorance can be deadly.

Some people from the coast or the city might think I'm crazy for hiking in the North Carolina mountains, but I know what I'm doing. We have bears, mountain lions, snakes, and ticks that carry disease. First time visitors need to learn a few things and learn them well, or stay on the pavement at National Park Service facilities.

In warm coastal water, I worry more about jellyfish than sharks. They've become so common.

Since alligators and humans encounter each other every day in Florida, I guess it isn't as dangerous as it appears to be. What worries me in that situation is my own ignorance. How do you know that a gator is about to attack? What makes them mad? How fast can they move? How far will they chase you? How much personal space do they want for themselves? That kind of knowledge can save your life. Most of us don't have it.

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Alligators really arent that aggressive. My mom and i used to stay at the same hotel every year for our annual beach vacation and the hotel had several lagoons throughout the property filled with alligators. They didnt really ever bother anyone. I have also taken coastal hikes through murky marshland and you could see alligators just hanging out in the water along the walkway.

The child probably would have been fine along the beach, but as soon as he entered the water he was in the alligator's territory .

Either way this story has been deeply disturbing to me. I have a little boy around this age, maybe a little older and I just really cant imagine.

12. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

As long as you're between me and the alligator, I totally believe you. ;)

1 person likes this.
  13. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

alligators were here long before people were...and hopefully will be here after we're gone

parent supervision lacking...same as gorilla story

1 person likes this.
  14. Ashalicious

Oh, okay, got it. I've never been to Disney World, I've only been to Disney Land in Anaheim.

So are alligator attacks a common occurrence there? It sounds like the place is infested with them.....

15. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I don't think so. If they were, Silver Springs would have gone out of business a long time ago.

I don't care what the statistics say, I can't turn my back on something with a mouth that big and so many teeth.

But some people feel the same way about getting out of your car in bear country. I get it. It's a comfort zone thing. You fear what you don't understand. That can be a good thing.

16. Ashalicious

Oh, I'm with you. I couldn't turn my back on an alligator, or anything with big teeth that could kill or seriously harm me. Even when my husband and I go camping in places known to have bears, I am extra cautious. I don't even like going pee in the middle of the night by myself.

17. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

I hope you've memorized all the standard precautions and advice.

Snakes and ticks are the hazards I have to deal with the most often.

Cable news is showing aerial pics of that Florida lake. It's one of the biggest ones on the property. I remember riding across one on a ferry from the main parking lot to the main entrance to the Magic Kingdom. It was about a ten minute ride. You can't keep nature out of something that big. And it would take thousands of warning signs to go all the way around it.

18. Ashalicious

I, for the most part, have.....I'm feeling extra paranoid now, though. I'll have to brush up on my bear aware knowledge before summer hits.

19. Aerianne

You also don't invite guests to sit in the dark on the shore of that lake. Movie night, sitting on that beach? I mean, For Fuck's Sake!

The boy's family was at a movie night outdoors at the Grand Floridian resort when around 9 p.m. the boy waded into about a foot of water in a lagoon, authorities have said. Witnesses, including the boy's horrified parents, tried to save him. His father jumped in and tried to pry the gator's mouth open. His mother jumped in, too.
    But it was too late. The child was dragged underwater in the Seven Seas Lagoon, witnesses told authorities. http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/15/us/alligator-attacks-child-disney-florida/

20. Aerianne

BTW, the baby's body was recovered, in tact, about 10-15 yds from where the gator snatched him.