The Dna Of Black Ancestry

Discussion in 'History' started by Motion, Jun 9, 2016.

1. Motion

Motion Senior Member

Here's a video from the Rock Newman Show. They talk about genetic testing in relation to Black-American ancestry. It's about an hour long so check it out when you have some extra time.

Here's two breakdowns. At 11:00 of the video they talk about Native American ancestry among Black-Americans. At 22:00 they give the results of Rock Newman's genetic test.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioFa7_38EmA

2. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

What is the point you are trying to get across with this?
    watched a fair bit of it and all I'm getting is this guy who is obviously white and his genetic tests show him to be mostly Caucasian is trying his damnedest to be black?
    WTF??
    Why?

shit like this only helps to foster racism.
    Who gives a flying fig what color your ancestors 369 years ago were, doesn't have jack-shit, diddly squat to do with who you are.

it would be interesting to find out how neanderthal DNA is makes up Trump, I'm guessing about 58%.

3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7why8Xo_RQ

1 person likes this.
  4. Motion

Motion Senior Member

^

That was a funny movie :)

5. Motion

Motion Senior Member

Just found it interesting how these test can reveal people's full heritages. This was about Black-Americans but I'd like to see what the results would be if other Americans were to take these test. Like if some pure Native Americans took a test would it show them being related to any modern day Asian people?

6. Motion

Motion Senior Member

In America all mulattos historically have been considered Black. That's how race has played itself out in America. All mulatto children during slavery were slaves. This is why Rock Newman has a Black identity. I will point out that every country has it's own way of categorizing people racially including the U.S.

7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

ok, I understand all that, but the guy is obviously Caucasian and the results of his genetic screening verified that he was 80% Caucasian on both parents sides, so IMO, it is kind of a big stretch for him to call himself "black" because according to his genes, he isn't.
    sorry but the 20% of African descent is not enough to consider him to be black by any definition and I doubt he should be classified as mulatto either.
    as mentioned, a very large percentage of Caucasians will have genes from other races present. No big surprise there, folks been screwing each other for eons, we are all mixed breed muts.
    I just found the whole thing biased and not very scholarly.

I do appreciate and agree with the idea that by investigating our genetic past, it will become evident that we are all the same family no matter the melanin content of our skin,
    BUT
    going about it in the manner they are, "African Ancestry" is alienating and a little racist considering the philosophy they are supposedly espousing.
    If the goal/philosophy is to eradicate racism, they need to adjust their approach a little and maybe adopt a non-racially oriented name.

8. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

“Why does he Identify more with his 20% African ancestry, rather than his 80% European heritage, It’s probably the result of his upbringing.

In my case overall I’m 70% African ancestry and 30% European, and while I Identify myself as an African-American, I understand the other 30% is just as much a part of me.

Hotwater

1 person likes this.
  9. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I understand that, and it is even talked about in the video.
    I still personally just think it a little odd, but understandably so, if that makes sense.