Month Of The Vulcan

Discussion in 'Philosophy and Religion' started by Perfect Disorder, May 31, 2016.

1. Perfect Disorder

Perfect Disorder Paradoxically Spontaneous

Greetings to all. I have been a fan of Star Trek, the exploration, the cool ships, the alien species, particularly Vulcans ever since my father first watched TOS with me at seven. I also am a philosophical and religious enthusiast. As such I figured why not combine the two and try Vulcan philosophy for a month. Then came the studying and decision making and this is the list of do's and don'ts for my month of Vulcan living. First, however, a brief synopsis of Vulcan philosophy. The best method for explaining it is to take a look at the Vulcan hand gesture (Yes it actually means something).

First the pinkie finger which signifies the concept of infinite diversity in infinite combinations. Emphasises the coming together of things no matter how opposite or disparate they may be to give rise to purpose & beauty.

The ring finger is next. It represents that an infinite number of things exist thereby making reality worth experiencing. At first glance this may seem identical to the first but if one thinks on the concept it is not.

Third we have the middle finger which represents logic. The longest finger was chosen for this aspect because logic is the cornerstone of Vulcan belief. Logic is what gives the other two concepts their meaning and what makes life worthwhile. For the greater good of both society and the individual logic must dominate, for it is constant whereas emotions are inconsistent and fleeting.

Fourth is the index finger which signifies respect for all life. There is a reason it is kept so close to logic.

Last but not least we have the thumb which represents the inviolable right to privacy which is essentially synonymous with the state of dignity. One should be entitled to their own dignity and privacy but should also strive to accept others right to the same. It is considered extremely rude to attempt to force one's thoughts and beliefs on another in Vulcan culture. Attacking another's dignity is seen to give rise to the possibility of uncontrollable emotion and is therefore never justifiable. This also creates compassion which is essentially the desire to protect another's privacy and dignity as one would their own. This also explains the seeming humorlessness of Vulcans. An analysis of most common humor shows it to stem from the violation of someone's dignity and or the enjoyment of their suffering.

Now on to the rules I will be striving to live by for the next month.

1: I will seek to maintain good posture at all times. No slouching or reclining and no lying down except when going to sleep.
    2: Facial expressions kept to a minimum. No laughing or smiling. Extensive eyebrow usage is acceptable.
    3: Vocalizations must be calm and even toned. Absence of all emotion especially anger, sarcasm, and irritation.
    4: Food will only be consumed with utensils. Using one's fingers is illogical when there is technology specifically for use when eating.
    5: Study of Vulcan philosophy, Stoicism, Buddhism, science and other related topics.
    6: Music will be allowed only at certain times and must be mathematical or minimalist in nature. Bach will be a fine starting point.
    7: Meditation will be undertaken at least once a day. Standard breath meditation and constant mindfulness of logic will be observed.
    8: Tai Chi walking and other various excercises daily.
    9: No video games whatsoever. Violence and irrational behavior should be abstained from.
    10: Vegetarianism will be observed.

Let us see how this experiment goes shall we.

3 people like this.
  2. Perfect Disorder

Day 1
    I am having to forgo last night's taco bell because it breaks two of the rules set forward. Also my coworker seems to find my lack of humor this morning quite strange. My wife does find the prospect of a free crunch wrap for lunch agreeable however.

3. Perfect Disorder

Update on week 1
    Have found it rather hard to completely control emotion especially when applied to facial expressions. Often catch myself smiling. The retardation of emotional displays with my wife has proven especially difficult. Once one designates the use of utensils only for eating it is quite astounding how many various foods become either inedible or tedious to eat. Daily meditation upon logic has proven effective in quelling emotion and the display thereof, at least for a time. Vegetarianism has proven agreeable. It has also proved costly and inconvenient as well. Especially when on the go and requiring sustenance. Also an observation it would seem as though the mainstream food distributors, at least around here prefer it if one doesn't eat healthy. This observation is based upon the high cost of healthy foods at WalMart and such.

4. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Well, how did it go?

5. Perfect Disorder

Relatively well the hardest part was keeping emotions entirely in check. Much more complicated than I anticipated

6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i'm not so sure 4 and 6 are entirely logical. even if they have been observed to be vulcan customs.
    as lananaran, i have a similar respect for logic and the avoidance of emotional excess.
    even living in human form among humans.
    lananarans have of course not been portrayed in human media.