Zookeepers Killed Gorilla In Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Aerianne, May 29, 2016.

1. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

That's what I've been wondering. There are so many more of us than them.

Also, I personally think the fault is on the mother to some degree. I won't even get into the fact that zoos shouldn't exist, but I'm sick of everything being made so "safe" all the time for every lazy idiot who cant watch where they are going. If I was in a park or zoo with one of my cousins kids, he would be holding my hand the whole time because he's only 4. If I let go of his hand my eyes would be on him and I'd be ready to run if he did. If I couldn't take a picture one handed, it wouldn't be worth it and i wouldnt bother. Was her picture worth it? But yeah she just stopped paying attention to her kid in a zoo full of dangerous animals for only a minute.... I probably sound callous. Oh well.

3 people like this.
  2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Mattekat, I am just as callous as you are.....as i feel the same way on all accounts....

and what is even sadder....is that some people seem to be celebrating the fact that another magnificent animal being was killed.....:(

Hopefully something like this never happens again......

I can hang onto to 3 pulling pug dogs at all times.......weighing 30-35 pounds each when dangerous pit bulls that would kill one in one chomp go by....I do not know why a mother has a problem holding onto a 4 year old child.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Who is celebrating this?

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

5. Moonglow181

I don't sense much feeling for the gorilla by some people......business, as usual...easier to attack how I feel for some, I guess in a gang...one after the other...........Next.....anyone?...I am here now.

6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

This is not an attack on you, I was wondering who was celebrating the gorilla's death?

7. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Some safety inspector hasn't been doing their job.

A well-designed zoo is like a luxury retirement resort for lucky animals, and the educational value for young people is priceless. But we have to get the safety part right. Then we can get back to the important work of creating the next generation of animal lovers. Video isn't good enough.

1 person likes this.
  8. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

....I invite you to post a definition of 'wild' from the moonglow dictionary?

9. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

There's a photo doing the rounds on the internet at the moment.

I won't bother posting it, but I'm talking about the Sudanese baby that drowned on its way to Italy when the boat she was in with her family capsized
    The baby is about 1 year old. It's not like anyone is really going to do anything about that, or really give a shit. Netizens will put more effort into talking about this kid in the zoo than things like that

It's strange comparing that Sudanese baby to both the gorilla and the child in the zoo.

There are so many humans on the planet now that no one gives a shit about the waves of humanity in strife across the planet.

Not that far off silverback gorillas becoming extinct.

And yet some lazy ass american mother in some zoo.....well, insert heath ledger joker meme

1 person likes this.
  10. Karen_J

Karen_J Visitor

Don't worry, the gorilla wasn't vanilla.

11. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

In other semi related news....

Scientists somewhere recently have proven sharks have personalities.

That is, sharks have feelings too, no doubt gorillas do to.

We just shot someone's hubby , a daddy to I'm sure a bunch of little baby gorillas.

Meanies

12. Why must we always talk about blame and fight and never get around to talking about just how great of a gorilla that was??? Doesn't anybody have anything nice to say about that gorilla?

13. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I was passed this on facebook.

Amanda O'Donoughue
    22 hrs ยท

I am going to try to clear up a few things that have been weighing on me about Harambe and the Cinci Zoo since I read the news this afternoon.
    I have worked with Gorillas as a zookeeper while in my twenties (before children) and they are my favorite animal (out of dozens) that I have ever worked closely with. I am gonna go ahead and list a few facts, thoughts and opinions for those of you that aren't familiar with the species itself, or how a zoo operates in emergency situations.

Now Gorillas are considered 'gentle giants' at least when compared with their more aggressive cousins the chimpanzee, but a 400+ pound male in his prime is as strong as roughly 10 adult humans. What can you bench press? OK, now multiply that number by ten. An adult male silverback gorilla has one job, to protect his group. He does this by bluffing or intimidating anything that he feels threatened by.
    Gorillas are considered a Class 1 mammal, the most dangerous class of mammals in the animal kingdom, again, merely due to their size and strength. They are grouped in with other apes, tigers, lions, bears, etc.
    While working in an AZA accredited zoo with Apes, keepers DO NOT work in contact with them. Meaning they do NOT go in with these animals. There is always a welded mesh barrier between the animal and the humans.
    In more recent decades, zoos have begun to redesign enclosures, removing all obvious caging and attempting to create a seamless view of the animals for the visitor to enjoy watching animals in a more natural looking habitat. *this is great until little children begin falling into exhibits* which of course can happen to anyone, especially in a crowded zoo-like setting.

I have watched this video over again, and with the silverback's postering, and tight lips, it's pretty much the stuff of any keeper's nightmares, and I have had MANY while working with them. This job is not for the complacent. Gorillas are kind, curious, and sometimes silly, but they are also very large, very strong animals. I always brought my OCD to work with me. checking and rechecking locks to make sure my animals and I remained separated before entering to clean.
    I keep hearing that the Gorilla was trying to protect the boy. I do not find this to be true. Harambe reaches for the boys hands and arms, but only to position the child better for his own displaying purposes.
    Males do very elaborate displays when highly agitated, slamming and dragging things about. Typically they would drag large branches, barrels and heavy weighted balls around to make as much noise as possible. Not in an effort to hurt anyone or anything (usually) but just to intimidate. It was clear to me that he was reacting to the screams coming from the gathering crowd.

Harambe was most likely not going to separate himself from that child without seriously hurting him first (again due to mere size and strength, not malicious intent) Why didn't they use treats? well, they attempted to call them off exhibit (which animals hate), the females in the group came in, but Harambe did not. What better treat for a captive animal than a real live kid!
    They didn't use Tranquilizers for a few reasons, A. Harambe would've taken too long to become immobilized, and could have really injured the child in the process as the drugs used may not work quickly enough depending on the stress of the situation and the dose B. Harambe would've have drowned in the moat if immobilized in the water, and possibly fallen on the boy trapping him and drowning him as well.
    Many zoos have the protocol to call on their expertly trained dart team in the event of an animal escape or in the event that a human is trapped with a dangerous animal. They will evaluate the scene as quickly and as safely as possible, and will make the most informed decision as how they will handle the animal.
    I can't point fingers at anyone in this situation, but we need to really evaluate the safety of the animal enclosures from the visitor side. Not impeding that view is a tough one, but there should be no way that someone can find themselves inside of an animal's exhibit.
    I know one thing for sure, those keepers lost a beautiful, and I mean gorgeous silverback and friend. I feel their loss with them this week. As educators and conservators of endangered species, all we can do is shine a light on the beauty and majesty of these animals in hopes to spark a love and a need to keep them from vanishing from our planet. Child killers, they are not. It's unfortunate for the conservation of the species, and the loss of revenue a beautiful zoo such as Cinci will lose. tragedy all around.

4 people like this.
  15. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

1 person likes this.
  16. He was a beautiful gorilla and a sweetheart.

17. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Yeah, pretty much.

I just really hate how this mother is being used as a scapegoat as if she is personally responsible for the low gorilla population?

It just bothers me, as if these millions of people bitching about it have ever given two shits about animal conservation before? We're killing the planet. We as in all of us, but I guess it is easier to blame one person than to take a look at how our lifestyles as a whole are destroying the planet

2 people like this.
  18. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

Ok, glad to see that you only voice your opinions after carefully examining all the facts and completely informing yourself on a subject.

1 person likes this.
  19. Total Darkness

Total Darkness 100% Cocoa

So they should've shot the child instead of the gorilla??? Or just left the child there???
    That would create a pretty awkward situation if either of you have to use the restroom. lol Edit: just highlight to read^^

20. Moonglow181

I watched the video. I read every article I could get my hands on. The video brought me to more tears. Again, I never said, they made the wrong decsion to save that little child. I said I am sad for the negligence that this happened in the first place, and my tears still fall for that slain gorilla.

1 person likes this.