Zookeepers Killed Gorilla In Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Aerianne, May 29, 2016.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

They've said that a dart may have further agitated the gorilla and it's not an instant take down. It can take 15 minutes to work.

2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yep....SENSELESS!

You two have a right to your opinion...and I have a right to mine. Where was the mother's responsibility? If you don't have any, don't bring your kid around wild aninmals.......Where is any zoo's responsibility to their borders....No tranquilizing gun?...but a gun to kill. That gorilla did not go into that child's domain and threaten that child...That child went into that gorilla's domain....and you cannot make me believe that gorilla would have harmed that child...but let us kill it because it might and can....ok....I'm done here.
    facepalm to you,too,

and how about any border around that gorilla's territory that allowed that to happen,?.....but shoot it up....go ahead....no one's fault but that poor gorilla's.

3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Science tells us that Silverback Gorillas have Phenomenal Strength.

Take 5 of the strongest men in the world and pit them against an angry Gorilla and he’ll break their arms and legs, and even has the strength to rip their heads off : 8 [

Hotwater

4. Aerianne

The gorilla did not respond when they called it back inside.

The two female gorillas did. They returned to where they were supposed to be when called.

The male gorilla did not.

5. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

curious, did you watch the video?
    did you see the boy being dragged through the water and flung around like a rag doll?
    the gorilla didn't have to be purposely trying to hurt the boy in order to kill him.

IT WAS A 400LB GORILLA DRAGGING AROUND A 40LB TODDLER
    and you don't think the gorilla would have hurt him, well isn't that precious.

do you remember the guy who raised a chimp for over 30 years and then ironically was attacked by two chimps.
    Here is an account of what they did to him, considering you don't think the gorilla would have done any harm:

"...As St. James confronted the chimp, the six-two former running back turned to find a second chimp — also a male, this one older and bigger — bearing down on him as well. With both hands, he pushed the bigger animal. Both chimps pounced. One of the animals grabbed him in a bear hug before chomping into the bone above his right eyebrow. He then stuck his finger in St. James's right eye, gouging it out. The same animal clamped his teeth onto St. James's nose, biting it off, as the other chimp chewed away at St. James's fingers. In the melee, one of the chimps dug in his claws and ripped the skin off the right side of St. James's face, causing it to flop over and cover his left eye, temporarily blinding him. One of the primates sunk his teeth into St. James's skull. He then closed his jaws on St. James's mouth, ripping off his lips and most of his teeth. St. James tried to put one of his hands down the animal's throat, but the chimp just kept chewing on it and chewing on it, and he couldn't get it out.

St. James fell to the ground, no longer able to defend himself, and for at least five minutes, the mauling continued as he lay helpless. One of the chimps gnawed on his buttocks and bit off his genitals. They ravaged his left foot, leaving it shredded...."

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a5609/chimpanzee-attack-0409/

6. Moonglow181

No, I did not watch the video. A friend I had over told me the gorilla touched the boy's hand, and i was too busy and upset to look into it....I just became outraged, as she is.
    It was senseless, as this never should have happened....period....I did not say it was senseless to kill the gorilla to save the boy's life.

The fact remains...the gorilla is dead...the boy has his life. I do not need to feel sorry for the boy at this time. My feelings are with the gorilla at this time.
    yes, I do have feelings.

The story is written now. I do not want to watch the video. It does not matter. My heart is broken for that gorilla enough.

7. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

to avoid the criticism the zoo officials should have said they were aiming for the kid and missed

2 people like this.
  8. rollingalong

rollingalong Banned

you might want to look up the def. of the word ''wild''

zoos do not have wild animals....they have formerly wild animals....those zoo officials did that poor animal a favor by putting out his lights

9. Moonglow181

That is your opinion.
    Not mine.

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

5-31-16 BOSTON —The incident involving a 4-year-old boy and a gorilla at the Cincinnati Zoo brought back unsettling memories for a Boston teenager who survived a gorilla attack more than a decade ago.

Little Joe had escaped from the Franklin Park Zoo, attacked Scott and her babysitter, and then led police and zookeepers on a chase before being captured nearly two hours later. “He like just started dragging me on the ground and he scratched my face.”

Scott still has scars from that scary day, and has only recently stopped having nightmares and going to counseling. “When I was having nightmares, I did not want to sleep in my room,” Scott said. “I was just scared, like, he was still going to come back and attack me.”

Hotwater

11. Lynnbrown

Lynnbrown Firecracker

Aside from having petting zoos, I have come to believe that "regular" zoos that have these wild animals should be closed and turned into sanctuaries.

Remember the recent incident where a naked man that decided the way to off himself was to jump into the lion enclosure and of course the lion was killed and the jackass lived? Then there is this situation where supposedly a child was able to scale a fence or wall and somehow he continues on even more before he winds up where (SURPRISE!) he shouldn't be and "all the parent did was turn her head for a second taking a picture". (puhleez) Of course I do accept and realize that something had to be done but it doesn't make this incident any easier to swallow.

A parent or guardian needed to HOLD THE HAND of a child that young, particularly one that seems to be wilder than the gorilla. Unfortunately I doubt this will be the last situation like this. Even if a better barrier had been erected to TRY to stop such as this, there will always be jackass adults and wild children that are NOT BEING WATCHED ADEQUATELY.

Its a sad situation.

We need more animal sanctuaries, and less to no zoos. I'd also be in favor of making children/parents and adults HAVE to sit through information training before being allowed into a zoo.

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Why exactly is a human life worth more than a gorillas life?

3 people like this.
  13. Meliai

Meliai Banned

The fervent anger and blame against the mother is kind of sickening to me, not in this thread but elsewhere on the internet there are legions of people calling this woman a **** /bitch, saying she needs to have her child taken away from her, needs to be sterilized, etc, all from a bunch of keyboard warriors who weren't there.

Shit happens - there was a four year old who died in the woods a few months back in TN because the grandmother turned her back for a couple of seconds and the child slipped away.

It is really sad the gorilla was shot, worse than sad really, but I guess I don't understand the need to play the blame game. There are children in this country who are left home alone for hours or even days while their parents go do whatever, i see it on the news all the time - I don't see the keyboard warriors worried about it. These are the same people who probably sneer in disgust at people who put leashes on their children in zoos and amusement parks.

Young children are crazy - I remember my entire family chasing my nephew through a crowded city street when he was 4 because he slipped away from all of us.

3 people like this.
  14. Aerianne

15. Aerianne

SAEN is campaining to have the zoo fined for it multiple negligent actions recently, as cited by the USDA. The zoo has not maintained one of the monkey enclosures which has rotting boards on it; also, they had two polar bears escape because a worker left an enclosure door open.

Stop Animal Exploitation NOW (SAEN) alleges several potential violations of the Animal Welfare Act, which regulates animal exhibitors and is intended to safeguard both animals and zoo-goers.

'We will be calling for the maximum penalty which is a $10,000 fine [for each offense],' he said.

+11

+11

He warned that, if successful in all aspects, the fine for the zoo could run into tens of thousands of dollars.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3618208/Now-zoo-shot-Harambe-gorilla-faces-calls-scale-federal-probe-safety-lapses-including-letting-polar-bears-escape-enclosure.html#ixzz4AFuGETzD
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

16. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

This whole situation is so very sad. A child being a child and an animal being what they are also.

I am thankful that child is ok but saddened for the gorilla paying the ultimate price for being who they are.

5 people like this.
  17. Aerianne

Here's a pic of the two after the gorilla got the boy back up on the top side of the habitat.

[​IMG]

18. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

the video is safe for you to watch

it doesnt show the gorilla hurt at all

it just shows where he " touched the boys hand".........right before almost yanking his arm off while dragging him underwater...then he kindly places the boy under his 450 lbs and almost sits on him

no violence towards the gorilla at all

:rolleyes:

1 person likes this.
  19. Aerianne

The zoo is a fault.

No one should be able to get into one of the enclosures no matter how hard they try.

1 person likes this.
  20. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I agree that they have a responsibility to ensure that all enclosures are secure and not able to be breeched. Not only for the safety of the public but also for the animals they have.

1 person likes this.