Zookeepers Killed Gorilla In Cincinnati

Discussion in 'Pets and Animals' started by Aerianne, May 29, 2016.

1. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

This story is making alot of people angry.

The first and third videos show two different times the gorilla dragged the little boy under the water, banging him off the wall at least once according to an eyewitness I heard give a report.

I think the zoo is more at fault than anyone. That enclosure should be so secure that no one could get it no matter how they tried.

That gorilla down in the moat isn't supposed to happen either. That's supposed to be a barrier.

Leave the gorillas in a natural habitat away from humans.

http://heavy.com/news/2016/05/gorilla-cincinnati-zoo-harambe-grabs-boy-enclosure-raw-video-full-shot-dead-killed/

5 people like this.
  2. Meliai

Meliai Banned

A lot of people are blaming the mother of the boy but I think the bottom line is the zoo should prevent against things like this happening. It is their fault the enclosure was not secured.

1 person likes this.
  3. Aerianne

That's my thinking. I agree.

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

Unfortunately the jungle is no longer a safe place for gorillas, with poachers and ebola has wiped out entire families of apes..

5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

You’re right as quiet as its kept Ebola hemorrhagic Fever has wiped-out thousands of Primates.

So much attention has been paid to the human toll but the mortality rate among primates is 95% compared to 50% for the human population.

Hotwater

6. Aerianne

I wish they'd protect the gorillas and other animals without displaying them like this but I guess if people don't get to see them then there aren't donations to help with support.

I found an eyewitness account that says the little boy was holding onto his mothers pant pocket while she clicked a photo. That's how quickly he slipped away.

Deidre Lykins with David Lykins.
    13 hrs ·

My family and I decided to go to the zoo yesterday after visiting my neice at Cincinnati Childrens hospital. For those of you that have already heard, there was a terrible accident there yesterday. And since every news media has covered this story, I don't feel bad telling our side. This was an accident! ! A terrible accident, but just that! My husband's voice is the voice talking to the child in one of the videos. I was taking a pic of the female gorilla, when my eldest son yells, "what is he doing? " I looked down, and to my surprise, there was a small child that had apparently, literally "flopped" over the railing, where there was then about 3 feet of ground that the child quickly crawled through! ! I assumed the woman next to me was the mother, getting ready to grab him until she says, "Whose kid is this? " None of us actually thought he'd go over the nearly 15 foot drop, but he was crawling so fast through the bushes before myself or husband could grab him, he went over! The crowed got a little frantic and the mother was calling for her son. Actually, just prior to him going over, but she couldn't see him crawling through the bushes! She said "He was right here! I took a pic and his hand was in my back pocket and then gone!" As she could find him nowhere, she lookes to my husband (already over the railing talking to the child) and asks, "Sir, is he wearing green shorts? " My husband reluctantly had to tell her yes, when she then nearly had a break down! They are both wanting to go over into the 15 foot drop, when I forbade my husband to do so, and attempted to calm the mother by calling 911 and assure her help was on the way. Neither my husband or the mother would have made that jump without breaking something! I wasn't leaving with my boys, because I didn't trust my husband not to jump in and the gorilla did just seem to be protective of the child. It wasn't until the gorilla became agitated because of the nosey, dramatic, helpless crowd; that the gorilla violently ran with the child! And it was very violent; although I think the gorilla was still trying to protect, we're taking a 400 lb gorilla throwing a 40 lb toddler around! It was horrific! The zoo responded very quickly, clearing the area and attempting to save both the child and the gorilla! The right choice was made. Thank God the child survived with non-life threatening, but serious injuries! This was an open exhibit! Which means the only thing separating you from the gorillas, is a 15 ish foot drop and a moat and some bushes! ! This mother was not negligent and the zoo did an awesome job handling the situation! Especially since that had never happened before! ! Thankful for the zoo and their attempts and my thoughts and prayers goes out to this boy, his mother and his family.

3 people like this.
  7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

After reading that eyewitness statement all I can say is "Oh no, it wasn’t the zookeepers, it was cuteness killed the beast" [​IMG]

Hotwater

8. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i think they should have waited a bit and only used deadly force if absolutely needed

but my opinion means nothing anyway as i wasnt there and didnt read the possibly correct/possibly incorrect news accounts so i really have no business commenting on their actions lol

9. Aerianne

Apparently, deadly force was necessary. The zoo director said they have teams that do regular drills on this kind of situation.

10. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Yep, just another senseless murder.

It is too sad.

11. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

[​IMG]

Senseless murder........[​IMG] give me a break.
    I suppose they should have just waited to see if the gorilla was going to tear the kids arms off before doing anything.

2 people like this.
  12. TallyT

TallyT Members

13. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I have seen everything now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uv4Fvs9jQpc
    what the hell, why do morons keep breeding?
    the most hilarious part about these inbred racist morons and their comments is that the kid is BLACK!!!!!!!!!!
    here's momma and papa;
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

kind of depends if youre a fan of minority reports

15. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i predict the mother will probably hire a lawyer to sue the zoo

16. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Ok, I'll say it: the mother bears some responsibility, just as in an unintended car crash.

I've seen too many parents not watching their kids in a park full of wild animals (which is what a zoo really is, a park with pathways) and letting their wild kids run everywhere.

After that thought, I was wondering why tranquilizer darts wouldn't do? I've seen smallish darts take down large bears.

17. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

tranq would take too long to have effect

they decided on immediate rescue

18. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

tranquilizer would have taken too long to work and they were afraid that being shot by the dart could cause the gorilla to get pissed and essentially fuck the kid up beyond repair.
    Really would not take much for that thing to rip the kid in half