Source Ports And Game Remakes

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Terrapin2190, May 26, 2016.

1. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I've been finding a lot of source ports for older games lately. Classic games, such as Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior, Quake, Rise of the Triad and let me tell you, they make the gameplay for these older games a whole new experience!

The process goes like this:

Developer creates game
    Developer (I assume) profitsafter releasing game
    Developer (optionally) creates other programs which allow others to modify game
    Developer releases source code for game

Once the source code for the game is released, that gives other small developers and whoever has the knowledge and persistence to do so to create their own version of the game (by using the source code as reference).

Then, usually they create a new GUI (menu program) and enable certain new features unavailable in the original game. Which leads to some really nice outcomes! Updated graphics, larger and more detailed textures, dynamic lighting, better shadow effects, light glow, etc etc. Also a more user-friendly way to enable certain mods and total conversions people have created for the game.

Anyways, here's a list of popular source ports that I've found.

Duke Nukem 3D (eDuke32)
    Duke Nukem 3D (Proasm Duke3dw)
    Shadow Warrior (Proasm Shadow Warrior)
    Doom, Doom II, Heretic, Hexen (Doomsday Engine)
    Quake (Dark Places)
    Rise of the Triad (WinRottGL)

Other Source Ports/Remakes:

Commander Keen (Commander Genius)
    Star Control 2 (The Ur-Quan Masters HD)
    Thief (The Dark Mod)
    Command & Conquer: Renegade (Renegade X) Multiplayer
    C&C Renegade: Red Alert Mod (Red Alert: A Path Beyond) Multiplayer
    C&C Renegade: Tiberian Sun Mod (Tiberian Sun Reborn) Multiplayer
    C&C Renegade: Dune Series Mod (Battle for Dune) Multiplayer

There are also tons of mods (free) and extra content (free) available for most of these games too!

Now, there is a catch to using these. You do need to OWN the full version of these games, whether they be in original disc form or purchased through a merchant like GOG (GoodOldGames), Steam, or from the developer's website (if the option is available).

I'd recommend buying through GOG or the developer's website or any place that sells it DRM-free. You may or may not be able to use files from the Steam version of the games (which you need in order to play the full version of the game using the source port).

Getting the ports set up isn't too difficult, but does require a little know-how using a computer. Mostly it just requires extracting files from ZIP, finding and copying game files, and using an SVN downloader tool with Doomsday Engine in order to download the graphics and texture packs (which is really just an 'extract then double-click EXE file).

If you do want to test some of these out and need help getting it set up, just shoot me a message! I'd be glad to help.

1 person likes this.