Do You Think You're Strong?

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by abarambling, May 23, 2016.

1. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I don't mean you can handle being alone. We all can handle that, if we have no choice. I don't mean getting through a death of a love one. Yea, it sucks when someone dies, but that's life. Basically, I don't mean typical things like the two I just mentioned. i'm talking about when shit really shit the fan, do you think you will be strong?

2. morrow

morrow Visitor

Being alone is not easy for everyone, as is say loosing a child..

Think again !!!!

3. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes but you never really know because every circumstance is different.

All you can do is rely on your previous experience in coping with similar adversity, and hope the decisions you make produce a favorable outcome

Hotwater

4. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Death occurs to all of us. I'm sure there is no one on this website that hasn't lost someone. As well as we all have had moments when we were alone. Some people even end up being alone for a lifetime. Sure, it's not easy. I never claimed it was. But, it's something on average that we have all gone though, because we have to. It's apart of life. I'm not talking about that. I'm talking about the atypical events in life that only happens to a select few. Do you think if something like that were to occur to you would you be strong? For example, being kidnapped and put into sex trafficking. Something like that.

I know a lot of people on here would answer that they're strong and would be strong in such a situation. But, really... would you?

5. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Just because we all go through these things doesn't mean that it doesn't take great strength for some people to get through them. Also I'm sure most people have a varying degree of strength depending on what's piled up on them in any given moment.

What has already happened to someone is probably going to impact on how well they would cope in an "atypical" extreme situation.

1 person likes this.
  6. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I totally agree with that. That's why I'm certain I wouldn't be strong in an atypical situation, because I've been through so much typical stuff already that I'm as weak as it comes. I won't be able to withstand the atypical stuff. I wouldn't last a second. I probably would have a psychotic break, losing all sense of reality, or I'll die.

7. morrow

morrow Visitor

Your so dramatic, and dare I say...very self important..
    Your dramas may be a tip of the iceberg to others..
    But who knows how they would hold up..
    Some give in at a whim and some are so strong, make you feel useless!
    Take a woman holding a family together after her child has been returned to the family after being abducted..or a woman holding a family together after the husband is suddenly brain damaged..and beats her everyday...or a woman locked in a room while her children are screaming as their father is scaring them..they are every day shit for some people, but being put into sex slavery..you would survive, women have sex every day, look at this forum ffs!

1 person likes this.
  8. Perfect Disorder

Perfect Disorder Paradoxically Spontaneous

I know that you said not counting things like loss of those you love but I don't think that should automatically be denied as strengthening. My wife and I have lost two infant sons in the last six years and our current son is essentially bed ridden without much hope of ever being able to walk talk or even breathe on his own. As such I can tell you that such experiences produce not only strength but a form of hardness as well. Like tempering steel, these experiences either break you or make you hard and durable

1 person likes this.
  9. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I'm still standing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3RkWrR4tlwQ

10. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I don't think I'm being dramatic. I'm being honest, if I was in an atypical situation I wouldn't survive it. You're entitled to your opinion, though. I think it's uncalled for to call me that, because it has nothing to do with the topic, but whatever floats your boat.

11. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I understand completely, but that's not really the situations I was having in mind. Again, I'm not saying that a situation like losing someone is easy or doesn't make you strong, etc. I'm just thinking of other situations, and whether or not any of us would survive it and come out of it strong. Clearly, all of you would. So, good to know. But, personally for me... I thought about it tonight for no apparent reason, and realized I wouldn't. Those atypical situations are tough.

12. morrow

morrow Visitor

Aoabai, you should know by now, start a thread on hip, and anything can happen.
    Perhaps you should have made a scenario and asked how people would have coped?

13. abarambling

abarambling Banned

It's fine. I got my answer, anyways. You all... or the ones that posted will survive and are strong, even in those atypical situations.

It was just something I thought about tonight.

14. Perfect Disorder

Perfect Disorder Paradoxically Spontaneous

I don't know if I would say we came out of it well. Quite frankly the version of me that survived our sons is not a good version. My empathy for others and my joy in life both died with them. I spent a full day crying by our second son's dead body and railing at the gods and the world for their cruelty. Hard yes strong perhaps but the same? I don't think so

1 person likes this.
  15. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I can't even imagine man. I'm unsure I could cope with all that.

1 person likes this.
  16. morrow

morrow Visitor

Personally, I think PD and kitty are two of the most bravest people know..
    But I wouldn't want to be in their shoes! My own pinch enough! Xxxx

17. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Actually, now that I'm thinking about it this can be considered atypical situation. It's one to lose one child, or have one kid that is sick. But, to lose two, and on top of that have a kid that is sick... yea... I consider that an atypical situation. That's the kind of situations I was thinking about. Not that one specifically, but really bad situations that are bad for a long time, or for your whole life, like being kidnaped, held captive, and tortured for years. Something like that.

18. Kiprat

Kiprat ophidiophobe

I can't think of many people I'd be particularly sad over if they died.
    I can think of people who became someone "new", and thereby "killed" the old version of themselves. Thats not nice.

TBH, there's more people I'd giggle and celebrate dying than lose any sleep over. That might sound unpleasant, but its what I feel.

19. abarambling

abarambling Banned

I already know you don't care about anyone, from that one thread you made. But, would you be able to be strong when something really, really bad happens to you?

20. abarambling

abarambling Banned

Who is Kitty, and what is their situation, if you don't mind me asking?