Hiking The Camino De Santiago

Discussion in 'Europe' started by RiderOnTheStorm2.0, May 22, 2016.

1. RiderOnTheStorm2.0

RiderOnTheStorm2.0 Lizard Kween Lifetime Supporter

I plan on hiking the Camino de Santiago starting from Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port before the end of the year - hopefully starting in late August and going through early-mid October depending on my pace. Has anyone here ever done this particular pilgrimage before? If so, I would appreciate any and all insights, especially regarding supplies, safety (I am a single white woman in her early 30s and plan on going alone), anything that a first timer would overlook, costs, tips, etc.

Thanks in advance and buen Camino to anyone traveling it soon!

4 people like this.
  2. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

This is something I thought about for a while.
    But I don't know if I am the person for it, or up for it.
    Maybe some day....

Bird_migration and I talked about it, I think he might do it. He doesn't really come here often anymore though.

I've read journals by pilgrims, and it seems physically exhausting.

Also, there is a whole forum dedicated to Camino. You might wanna ask there.
    https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/

Best of luck to you.

3. RiderOnTheStorm2.0

Thanks a lot for the forum link and the well wishes. I'll definitely check that out and see if I can find any info over there. :)

4. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Just found this thread.....never even heard of the Camino de Santiago I looked it up and it seems to be quite nice.

I've hiked around the Eastern U.S. so maybe I throw a few tips your way.
    It looks like there are accommodations about every 5 miles, or 8 kilometers. As you should be able to easily cover 5 miles a day at the start you should have no problem. Later you can up that to 20 miles (32 kilometers) a day if you wish.

Get good shoes, preferably with ankle support. I get them a little big and wear two pairs of socks. The first pair is some type of self wicking nylon and the second heavy wool. The nylon ones help keep your feet dry and the wool keeps you warm even when wet. Two pair can slide against each other and help reduce blisters.

I hike in a synthetic material bathing suit. No underwear is need, they are easily cleaned, light weight, and dry quickly. I usually don't wear a shirt unless it's uncomfortably cold. I carry two cotton/synthetic T- shirts, one to wear while hiking and one to try and keep clean to wear when around non hikers. Again a synthetic material may be better. You will probably want one or two sport bras.

For long pants I use lightweight synthetic ski type pants, without any insulation as that adds weight. I only wear those when cold or to fight off insects.
    For a jacket I take a water repellent nylon/synthetic windbreaker with roll up hood. I also carry a cloth hat, a bandanna to tie around my forehead to catch perspiration, and sun glasses. That's about it for clothes.

I go for a week or two at a time so I use an external frame backpack. I've tried internal frame packs and don't like them. they are hotter as there is no airflow around the pack, they are designed to cling to your body and thus are not as comfortable on long hikes, and they don't seem to transfer weight to your hips as well as external frames.

Find out what supplies you will need. It seems there are hostels along the way so you may not need a tent. If you do want a tent look for a one person type, like a bivy sack, as they are light weight. You may need a sleeping bag at the hostels.

You shouldn't need a stove, but the Whisperlight is a good one. Same with cooking utensils. If you are planning on cooking, I carry a very small stainless steel pot with lid, a spoon, a plastic insulated coffee cup and a very small knife. A fabric scratch pad, small tube of non polluting soap, and small dish towel for clean up. That's it or utensils.

If you want to carry food, check out the local grocery for freeze dried/instant foods such as quick oatmeal, mac and cheese, noodles, rice, and so on. Anything that needs to be hydrated is good as food that contains water is heavy.

For water one quart is plenty for a whole day, get a nice water bottle and a way to carry it. I've hiked all day in 100 degree weather up and down mountains and got by on that amount. You should be hitting water every 5 miles.

I carry an aluminum staff made out of old ski poles. Most people nowadays use two fancy hiking poles, but I get tired carrying two poles and they don't have the reach of a staff.

If it rains I just keep hiking unless its a downpour. I just get wet and dry off later naturally. I do carry a waterproof pack cover to keep the pack dry.
    I don't know about bugs where you're going, but I use 100% DEET on my ankles and legs for ticks.

For personal hygiene I carry a small toothbrush and paste, two bandannas or washcloths in separate zip locks, one for the personal area and one for everywhere else, a comb, a small tube of non polluting soap, and a small dish towel. You may also want a small antiperspirant to use when around non hikers. Simple stuff like that. I assume you will toilet facilities along the way.

I carry a small first aid kit for blisters, etc. If you are going for awhile you might also want nail clippers.

Hope this helps.

Oh and I don't know what the weather is like so you might want a down filled vest if it gets cold, or synthetic equivalent.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Lots of other people on this route (although it is so large you can avoid them just fine ;) Just mean if you are wondering about going alone and the dangers that might come with that: this is a relatively save 'hike'). It is so long though I wouldn't call it a hike. It's a walking vacation that will take days :p :) There are lots of places to stop along the way that are specificly for people walking the camino de santiago! Some are not very luxury but hey all you wanna do is eat and sleep and therefor it's also not terribly expensive. This is all secondary info btw. It's a wellknown walking route and I heard many stories and saw some footage/docs about and from people that walked it (some people walked it more than ten times already and are aiming to go for another round!)

6. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Anyways....I wouldn't be worried about going alone. And yes, there are many places, or better said pilgrim hostels along the way, very cheap and friendly (from what I've read). They are called albergues, and they stamp your pilgrim passport, I think.

about the passport:
    http://www.caminosantiagodecompostela.com/pilgrims-credential-el-camino-de-santiago/
    http://www.theroadtosantiago.com/your-pilgrims-passport.html

Also, I read posts about people just pooping wherever, and not cleaning after themselves xD
    That kind of puts me off....walking and seeing someone's poop along the path :-/

7. ~Zen~

~Zen~ California Tripper Administrator

Safe as houses... great food along the way, and guest houses... no need for the wilderness gear :)

Spain is friendly, safe, welcoming, and not too expensive. If you are respectful they will love you!

1 person likes this.
  8. RiderOnTheStorm2.0

Wow, this got a bit more attention in the last few days. Thank you all SO much for your insight. I'm definitely going to utilize a lot of your tips, MeAgain, as to save money, I plan on sleeping in a tent and cooking as much of my own food as possible. One of the things that drew me to this particular hike/pilgrimage is how many people are around. Normally, I'd prefer being less surrounded by people, but in a foreign country, traveling alone, it's a plus in my book.

All of you have provided such insight and support. I'm truly grateful. :)

9. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Hey did you go, or still intend to?

10. Asmodean

Yeah Rider you should post more anyway! ;)

So coincidently enough a guy I know who will walk the Camino de santiago this autumn (he will walk all the way from the Netherlands!) just left for a vacation to Iran...! Some people just 'walk the walk' (pun intended) i guess :p

11. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

Lucky guy, with his trip to Iran and everything

12. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

If I were to go, and I'm just toying with the idea, I'd do the portuguese coastal way first, for reasons
    1. portugal duh
    2. the coast duh
    3. less than 300km xD xD xD
    4. seems like there'd be less people

13. Asmodean

He's mostly lucky with his fellow travel partners there (would certainly help me make the step to such a travel destination! And i guess for him too :)). For the rest it is mainly planning and go... in essence.

edit: but yes i slightly envy him too ;-)

14. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

I have always wanted to fly to Iran and then return by train Tehran-Istanbul (and then fly home)

The good ole Trans Asia Express, it's a three day journey

[​IMG]

I think it was cancelled like two years ago (safety reasons? Not sure if still suspended?
    I think yes.

It sucks how bad, evil people have to ruin stuff for everyone.

15. RiderOnTheStorm2.0

Hey, I still fully intend to go. I was derailed by a few medical issues. But when I say I'm going to do something, it gets done. LOL. Thanks again to everyone who answered. And thanks for the kind words, Asmo.

2 people like this.
  16. tumbling.dice

tumbling.dice Visitor

I have a buddy who hiked the Camino de Santiago a while back. He had a blast; he still keeps in touch with some of the folks he met along the way. I believe he also got a certificate for finishing, although I'm not sure of the entity that issued it. It must be nice to have money to do stuff...hell, I'll be 70 years old before I get out of the country. (New Zealand better look out; this ancient dude will be ready to party!)

17. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

The certificate is called Compostela, and it is issued by The Pilgrim Office in Santiago, after you show them your pilgrim passport with all the stamps.

All in all, seems like such a great experience.

1 person likes this.
  18. Just saw this thread. I've walked the Camino. Loads of people do it on their own. You tend to meet the same people at the same hostales and free sleeping places so there is quite a feeling of camaraderie. Anyone thinking of doing it should!

19. Hey how long did it take you?

20. Monkey Boy

Monkey Boy Senior Member

There's a movie out all about the Camino starring Martin Sheen. I've been wanting to see it.
    [​IMG]