What Is Babylon In Context To The Rainbow Family?

Discussion in 'Rainbow Family' started by rambleON, May 20, 2016.

1. rambleON

rambleON Coup

I've been around some rainbow family and there seemed to be a universal catch phrase firmly established, with attitudes and feelings, toward a Babylon that is of course figurative. What is it?

2. Bud D

Bud D Member

City, the established society, the 'grid'.

Basically where all the zuzu's come from.

3. rambleON

rambleON Coup

thanks for your input...i welcome others to comment furhter

i heard zuzu's before, it's been sometime since I last heard it. what's that in context to?

4. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

I Think It Means The "Bump & Grind" Of Mainstream Society...... :)

Cheers Glen.

5. rambleON

rambleON Coup

It think it may be lightly referred to the 'bump and grind' of life today too, but since the word Babylon is used specifcally to describe that, then the "bump and grind' reveals more. it must have deeper meanings and workings to the definition...nah mean?

whichever rainbow family implied that word knew more than the rainbow laity who use it today.

there's a history behind it with a certain context and defined strictly and not generally

6. Bud D

Bud D Member

Zuzu's are junk food, sweets and such.

7. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

Rainbo terms I'm a bit familar with. & mind u, some o these were symbiotic w/ deadshows. Dranbow//blissninny/weed ghost. This is one or more individiuals who bum weed or food frm ppl or camps while contributin nuthin. Some of these folks havebeen doin it many yrs. Some acampers do. This some don't. Acamp is mostly alochol abusers who generally are or maybe ued to be a branch of or independent of a security force of shanti sena. Some acampers have in past perfoormed shati sens services. Sad, becuz some acampers r decent folks. Some acampers in pas times were vietnam vets. This gave acamp much more of a credibility. Some acampers dug latrines' & trails & watched parked vehicles. & kept riffraff outa th gathering. Acamp became synonymous w/ a front gate of the gathering. So, therefore a back gate was started, which is supposedly more peaceful. & sometimes there is an entirely seperate jesus gathering. & then we say the term "kids" which long term gatherers have actually chastized me for sayin partly becuz they fergot. Th term "kids" frm some sources comes frm th term "child of god". I'd thot it came frm th term "jerry's kids". "Kids" could signify older folks too as also it means 1st time folks, or newbies. Mountain money can mean toilet paper. Tp has another term, too. A troll poll is a tube used to blow into a fire.

1 person likes this.
  8. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

Ground-scoring is synonymous w curb-siding, which is related to dumpter-diving. Simply means finding something on th ground. Curb-siding is finding something in a town or city which was set out generally a resident of such. Dumpter-diving kinda speaks for itself. Although one generally doesn't just dive in. Often there can be hazardous materials. One generally pokes around a dumpster b4 carefully climbin in. Some kids r actually too proud(or scared) to dumpster-dive. Tho probly wouldn't admit to th latter. Spangin, begging sign-flyin are ways of acquiring cash or maybe food frm babylonians. Often, however this cash or food doesn't make it to a gathering. An elder is a person who has been to many gatherings. I suppose I'm an elder. A kitchen is a place where food is prepared & cooked. Ain't necessarily within th gig. Some r in pking lots or bus villages. A kitchen can be most anywhere. Coffeeshop/house. This is a place or camp that ain't necessarily limited to coffee. A smaller operation than a kitchen. Hand-washing station, all are encouraged to use this, it rather speaks fer itself. Main trail, again speaks fer itself. This can be 3 mi long. Maybe more. Blissware, yer own utentils, & containers(coffee/teacup, personal eating bowl. Kinda important as it teaches kids(elders,too), to wash their own dishes. Thereby takin work away frm dish crew. Alotta kids(elders,too) will grab a cup/bowl, pan or utensil, use it, then leave it lyin around dirty. Many have been found by cleanup crews. So bliss was invented.

1 person likes this.
  9. Bud D

Bud D Member

I was at a regional in Montana Crazy Mountains and some people were dumpster diving outside a Hostess factory. The factory found out and started cutting open the bags.

It kinda sucks that a lot of family can't make profit in life. I think a lot of mentally ill people find there way to gatherings, illness of many kinda. There are people that do their own thing and make a decent living with freedom.

Lot's of young people roaming the country who just haven't found much yet. Not that a Gathering isn't much but there is more than drugs to life.

I still haven't gotten my shit together all the way yet. If I can I will stop by another gathering. It's just a lot of work to head out on the road. Takes green energy and there is a lot I want to do still yet.

1 person likes this.
  10. kinulpture

kinulpture Member

Thx bud for a good reply. Yes, there's much more than drugs, to life.

11. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

Babylon has roots in a physical place, where the Jews were in our first diaspora.
    While people flourished, it wasn't home, in a spiritual and emotional sense.

Babylon has been a term for the place you are, but do not want to be. Some use goes into American enslaved narrative, and reappears in that vein in Rastafarianism.

Likely that's the tour/Rainbow sourcing.

"Kids" comes from comic book advertising (Hey, Kids!) and Bill Graham was quite fond of its use. Some missives to the traveling circus started out with those words. Phil Lesh still uses it in communications from Terrapin Crossroads. (Hey, Kids, don't break the rules!)
    Since hippies were flower children, the use of kid wasn't derogatory. Usually.

One quote:
    "There are no ground scores!" --BamBam, Main Circle, Missouri (June 29, 1996)

1 person likes this.
  12. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

http://youtu.be/8VisxHApl8Y​
    By the waters of Babylon
    We lay down and wept and
    Wept for these I am
    We remember, we remember, we
    Remember these I am

A golden helmet blinded minds
    Among ten thousand swords
    Along the road to Babylon
    A golden thunder silenced songs
    Among ten thousand voices
    On the road to Babylon

Well, well, well, beware that golden helmet
    Well, well, well
    There's no easy way to go
    Well, well, well
    No easy road to follow
    Well, well, well

A golden ocean turned to fire
    And burned ten thousand ships
    Along the road to Babylon
    Golden dreamer touched the sky
    Alone in empty silence
    On the road to Babylon

Well, well, well
    Beware that golden thunder
    Well, well, well
    That dreamed and sang the song
    Well, well, well
    The empty sound of sorrow​

13. Wu Li Heron

Wu Li Heron Members

Political Clowns
    The best political clowns are those none can find;
    The next best are both loved and praised;
    And those remaining,
    Adopt, any caricatures!
    As if joining some parade!
    And meandering downtown!
    Angry clowns, jumping around!
    Losing interest, in political humor!
    The majority become reliably gullible!
    Most voting for the first clown in town!
    Who merely happens, to scream the loudest!
    Patriotic Rotten Tomatoes
    When your politics are no longer funny,
    Stupid crap isn't considered silly anymore;
    Petty crap can become less of a joke.
    Any self-righteous hypocrisy, blatant,
    When the Patriotic rotten tomatoes fly!
    Burying simple comedy,
    Under mountains of crap,
    Where the light never shines sports fans!
    Bullshit Artists
    Bullshit artists spouting crap,
    Cannot succeed every single time.
    Gullibility is shaped by accepting our ignorance,
    Not someone's meaningless bullshit!
    Own your crap and you give it away,
    Spout absolute nonsense and gullible clowns follow,
    Others think you are their friend if you act aloof!
    Some come on strong, some really weak,
    And very few, will get right to the point,
    Usually preferring, to drag everything out.
    Superfluously verbose of the performing arts.

Attracting Flies
    Offer sex, drugs, and rock-n-roll to every clown around,
    And wannabe comedians will line up to entertain you.
    If instead you furnish them greater ignorant wisdom,
    All the clowns in the world, can watch out for you!
    Knowing which way more loathsome winds blow,
    Offering ignorant wisdom is not very glamorous,
    But neither is foolishly attracting a lot of flies!