Mentally Ill And Violence In The Media.

Discussion in 'The Media' started by Jimbee68, May 11, 2016.

1. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

its in the water.

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

and the air...

and the food...

and the medications...

and the media...

and the... You get the idea

3. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

well if its in the water....how do plants grow? what do animals drink? where does water go when it evaporates?
    and who gets the best ratings for talking about it.
    yeah i got the idea i was just simplifying it.

4. pensfan13

pensfan13 Senior Member

I wasn't reading everyone's post....did anyone mention that these mental disorders existed but didn't have a name? And without instant media available stories didn't travel quite as much....oh yeah and the water.

5. Logan 5

Logan 5 Confessed gynephile Lifetime Supporter

Because Jim, the media wasn't as opeen as it is now. Now we have the internet. Back then, honestly, people didn't give a shit. This is a touchy subject for me because I deal with a lot of abuse, and I have multiple impairments. However, the authorities constantly refer to my medical history and what little they really know.

Here's some light reading tfor you, so you can hopefully grasp the situation a bit better-

1. Scott, Leslie. “It Never, Ever Ends”: The Psychological Impact of Wrongful Conviction". 2010. American University Criminal Law Brief 5, no.2 (2010):10-22.

2. Cook, L. "Americans with Disabilities More Often Victims of Violent Crimes". May 2016. U.S. News & World Report.

3. Yiannopoulos, M. "Meet Rape Panic’s Latest Victims: The Disabled". July 2015. Retrieved from www.breitbart.com

4. "Mentally ill 'at high risk of being victim of violence'". February 2012. BBC News. Retrieved from http://www.bbc.com/news/health.

5. Hiday, V., et.al. "Criminal Victimization of Persons With Severe Mental Illness". 1999. Psychiatric Services 50: 62-68. "NEW STUDY: Mentally Ill Are Often Targets of Violence". No Author. 2015. Retrieved from http://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/about-us/our-blog

6. Shipman, M. "Study Shows Mentally Ill More Likely to Be Victims, Not Perpetrators, of Violence". February 2014. Retrieved from https://news.ncsu.edu/

7. Desmarais, S., et. al. “Community Violence Perpetration and Victimization Among Adults With Mental Illnesses”. February 2014. Published American Journal of Public Health. DOI: 10.2105/AJPH.2013.301680

8. "Victimization: One of the consequences of failing to treat individuals with severe mental illnesses". March 2011. Backgrounder, Treatment Advocacy Center. Retrieved from http://www.treatmentadvocacycenter.org/

9. McBratney, L. "Victimization of People with Mental Illness - Barriers to Reporting Crime". 2015. Retrieved from http://www.heretohelp.bc.ca/, Reprinted from "Trauma and Victimization" issue of Visions Journal, 2007, 3 (3), pp. 8-9 "Violence & mental health". 2008. Retrieved from http://www.time-to-change.org.uk

6. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

When ever big pharma drugs side effects "call your doctor if you feel suicidal after taking this medication" cause people to do some horrific suicidal things the media that makes billions in ad revenue from the pharmaceutical companies always blame the persons so called mental illness and never asks about what drugs they are taking.

7. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

The number one goal of the Treatment Advocacy Center is to lobby governments to remove the civil and human rights from people accused of mental illness.

E. Fuller Torrey: One of main opponents of human rights of mental health consumers & psychiatric survivors

One of the main crusaders to make it easier to forcibly administer psychiatric drugs to mental health consumers and psychiatric survivors -- including in their own homes -- is psychiatrist E. Fuller Torrey, and his extremist organization Treatment Advocacy Center.

http://www.mindfreedom.org/kb/mental-health-abuse/e-fuller-torrey/view

I know you did not mean it but now that you know please don't post links to those monsters as sources.

Organizations who truly care about the mentally ill and their rights absolutely hate the Treatment Advocacy Center

8. stinga

stinga Members

Video games also have impact of media violence. Many of the most popular games are violent and include improper content. Playing violent games can increase aggressive thoughts, feelings and behavior in daily life. And instead of folding inhuman operations, gaming companies create more violent and bloodthirsty gameplay.
    For my opinion, we should filter any media content (especially while monitoring child’s internet accessing by maintaining parental control) for preserving streaks that make us human.

9. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

This is simply not true. There is no evidence that seeing violent images either in video games or in film increases the likelihood of violence in real life. The thing is that violent people are probably going to be attracted to things like that anyway. So it's not unusual when they commit to crime to find they have an interest in it. People who want that to be the answer probably people who don't find video games entertaining themselves use bad science to draw conclusions.

Keep in mind that since games are a newer form of entertainment there is still a huge stigma around them. Like somehow it's wrong. The child should be outside, the child should not see that etc. So I take any "research" on them with a grain of salt since I assume it's done by an older person who does not wish for the games to part of society.

Little boys like blood it's just the way it is. Long before games they played cops and robbers and people died doing it. I know that's what I did. You are little and you don't really understand what death is. I pointed toy guns at the kids across the street to "kill them". I was very attracted to games like Mortal Combat because of the blood. I was not supposed to see and I did and it was awesome. But like most people who are not psychopaths as I got older I developed more empathy and understanding about what those things really mean in real life. In fact, now it's difficult for me to play games like that. I don't like to see people hurt.

1 person likes this.
  10. TheGreatShoeScam

TheGreatShoeScam Members

What about TV and aggressive or violent behavior?
    Literally thousands of studies since the 1950s have asked whether there is a link between exposure to media violence and violent behavior. All but 18 have answered, "Yes." The evidence from the research is overwhelming. According to the AAP, "Extensive research evidence indicates that media violence can contribute to aggressive behavior, desensitization to violence, nightmares, and fear of being harmed." [14] Watching violent shows is also linked with having less empathy toward others [14a].
    • An average American child will see 200,000 violent acts and 16,000 murders on TV by age 18 [15].
    More http://www.med.umich.edu/yourchild/topics/tv.htm

Findings from the laboratory are further supported by field studies which have shown the long-range effects of televised violence. Leonard Eron, Ph.D., and his associates at the University of Illinois, found that children who watched many hours of TV violence when they were in elementary school tended to also show a higher level of aggressive behavior when they became teenagers. By observing these youngsters until they were 30 years old, Dr. Eron found that the ones who'd watched a lot of TV when they were eight years old were more likely to be arrested and prosecuted for criminal acts as adults.

https://www.cmu.edu/CSR/case_studies/tv_violence.html

[​IMG]

11. unfocusedanakin

unfocusedanakin The Archaic Revival Lifetime Supporter

I can find just as many studies that say otherwise. Anything from the 1950's is hardly scientific. As I said you have to Bremen the time the study was done and the biases that was there to start with.

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/gaming/long-term-us-study-finds-no-links-between-violent-video-games-and-youth-violence-9851613.html

12. Existensile

Existensile Member

Some call it the "medicalization of society." It's been going on for some time now.

A couple of seemingly peripheral things happened in the early 1950s, which seem to me to point in the direction of this medicalization. In c. 1951, the first edition of the DSM was published: this was basically a compendium of disorders named by psychiatrists that saw incipient recruits during WWII. Freud's popularity in the States was at its zenith then, & there was a genuine effort to keep certain people out of the armed forces by labeling them. The first ed. of DSM was about 30 pages.

According to author Robert Whitaker, in his book Mad in America, the Journal of the Am. Med. Assoc., which until then had been more of a watchdog over the pharma. industry than the FDA, went almost overnight in 1955 (it's a weekly pub.) from carrying no advertising to being packed w/ ads for pharmaceutical companies.

In the 1970s, the Nixon admin. cut funding for mental health & asylums were closing. In 2004, Pres. Bush signed into law The New Freedom Initiative, which was supposedly some "comprehensive" mental health package that would encourage the labeling of everybody's mental health status by age 5. I don't recall there being much media coverage about that, but we were crazy about fighting terrorism then.

But it's apparent to me that our pop media promote this idea that other people are crazy; we're not cuz we're on TV. The message seems to be: "You must be insane if you don't have your own TV show."

13. Peaceful_LotusFlower

Peaceful_LotusFlower Member

There's been lots of talk about it now. Everyone in the past was ashamed to admit that they had a disorder or a antidepressant. Now there's even anxiety medication to give to your dog. Many people are open to it and are talking about it with all the shootings and crimes happening. Before many people were hush, hush about things and tried to keep it hidden. I try to avoid most social media because it's been getting darker and depressing. However many people are suffering and need help, support or a place to live even which is horrible.

I hope people are getting support. There needs to be more supportive people and not kept in the dark. People need to know that there not alone and that they can get help.

14. tommeem1

tommeem1 Members

This is pretty much my theory. More mentally ill people means more stories about mentally ill people. For example, you may just have depression, but if you commit a violent crime... in the paper you will be considered the mentally ill person that committed that violent crime. Now, why does the news choose to focus on that part? I think it's because of what youfreeme said above soulcompromise's comment. The media hypes things up. People who are mentally ill have always been viewed negatively. So, why not talk about them? They're an easy target.

15. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

And where did you get your news back then? Three TV channels and your local paper? Today literally all news anywhere in the world is instantly available, constantly, at our fingertips. The world isn't more violent; it only appears more violent because our modern-day communications has widened our situational awareness to a global level where as in previous generations, it seldom extended beyond one's hometown.

1 person likes this.
  16. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

There's good evidence that in actuality the trend of history is that there's now less violence in the world than in past times.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/the-decline-of-violence/#

17. psymon*

psymon* shadilay

The way America treats the mentally ill has actually gotten a LOT better by the end of the 20th century.

It used to be that, to the eyes of the government and the civilian population, the mentally ill were seen as sissies, imbeciles, insane, misfits, dangerous, and unfit for society. So they locked them up in asylums and did all sorts of ungodly things to the mentally ill in these wards. The likes of which very similar to prisons. Shock treatment, lobotomies, forced sterilization, were practiced as well.

A good example of this inhumane atrocity is Ken Kesey's book One Flew Over the CooKoo's nest.

Compare a modern mental hospital to a ward of yesteryear. It's a world of difference. People are actually getting cured, not getting worse.

18. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

and one other fact folks tend to forget is that the worlds population doubled during the 50's-70's, the same era when TV became the primary entertainment venue.
    so it appears as if shit has gotten much worse, when it is really just a numbers game and information access, as Bill mentioned, shit was far more brutal and violent in times past, you just didn't know about shit that happened outside your few square miles.
    twice as many folks=twice as many nut jobs running around.

what I can't fathom is the outrageous numbers of young people who are on anti-depressants and anti-anxiety drugs, goddamn near all the people I know under 35 are on some type of medication...
    but then again with the pharma companies advertising on TV and the adds are designed so that EVERYONE presents at least some of the symptoms of whatever ailment is promised to be cured by whatever magic pill is being hawked it's not surprising.

can always tell whenever one girl at work has run out of here xanax and shit,
    Fuck Girl!! don't you realize you are addicted!!???

19. Noserider

Noserider Goofy-Footed Member

Do you sometimes breathe? You might have oxygen inhalation syndrome. Take this pill*

*side effects may include, vomiting, diarrhea, dyslexia, AIDS, spontaneous combustion, Itchy tongue, vaginal dryness, and even death.

3 people like this.
  20. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart