Can Herpes Be Spread From Parts Of The Body Where The Infection Is Not Present?

Discussion in 'Sexual Health' started by roaky, May 5, 2016.

1. roaky

roaky Members

Hello,
    I was hoping to get some clarification from an expert concerning a question I have about the Herpes Simplex Virus.

As I understand it the virus can only be spread from around the physical area of the initial infection (the area where outbreak occurs, whether or not there are sores present). If someone has genital herpes, located in their vagina for instance, there is no way for that infection to be passed from their mouth such as with oral sex. Is that correct? To clarify, does having sores in one location mean that you are contagious from completely separate parts of the body?

Also I read that people with HSV-2 are 2.5x more likely to contract HIV. Is this accurate, and is this a result of open sores or something else?

Thanks

2. Jikuri

Jikuri Members

Hey there...
    Absolutely not ! As a person living with herpes for the past 25 years, I can assure you that if you have sores in your vagina and you are giving head to someone, you do not have to fear infecting the person! If there is penetration while you are having sores, then you most probably will transmit. Basically, the other person has to be in direct contact with your sores. Luckily, with time, one 's body knows that an outbreak is coming and thus sends physical signals at least 48 hours before outbreak of sores ( in my case). Feels like peeing razor blades but at least it warns me that outbreak of sores is coming. It helps a lot to gauge when you can have sex or not.

Hope this helps,
    peace

3. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

I'm curious about this too. I recently had a cold sore, which is one of various forms of the herpes virus. I read a few things that said, 'While you have a cold sore, avoid kissing, drinking from other's glasses and contact with genital areas.' Got me wondering exactly how contagious it really is. I believe chickenpox is also a form of the herpes virus, which is very contagious and lies dormant (like the herpes virus does) until later with the chance of emerging once more as shingles.

(Probably off-topic I guess, but relevant?)

4. Jikuri

Jikuri Members

Me again...

Simplex around the mouth and genital herpes are family but not the same.

Fellatio with some cold sore round the mouth does NOT transmit genital herpes...
    Two different infections.

peace

5. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

he's talking to you, VG.

1 person likes this.
  6. roaky

roaky Members

Thanks for the info Jikuri, that's what I thought. I'd still love to hear from at least one more person to set my mind at ease.

From my extensive research trying to figure this out though, the second topic brought up of HSV-1 (cold sores) potentially causing HSV-2 (genital herpes) is talked about on almost every site. What I keep seeing is that they used to think that they were fully mutually exclusive to their seperate areas (hsv-1 orally, hsv-2 in/on genitals) but now apparently new studies show that many cases of genital herpes are actually HSV-1 that someone contracted on their genitals. The other way around is possible too, though extremely rare.

"HSV-1 causes "cold sores" on the mouth, and up to 80% of the population has this virus. However, HSV-1 may also be transmitted to the genitals through oral/genital sex and about 40% of genital herpes is caused by HSV-1. Up to 22% of sexually active adults have genital herpes caused by HSV-2." - http://www.herpes.org.nz/patient-info/myths-vs-facts/

This confusion seems to mostly stem from the use of "genital herpes" as a description of HSV-2, despite the fact that technically it can mean either virus located there...

I don't know who VG is but I'd love to hear their opinion.
    Thanks.

7. jhan559

jhan559 Members

Tags: