Subletting A Room

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by quark, Apr 27, 2016.

1. quark

quark Parts Unknown

I live in a house shared with a few other students throughout most of the year. This summer, I've decided to sublet my room so that I can stay with my parents and freeload for a few months.

Because my room is furnished, I've actually managed to turn a (very small) profit. In complete honesty, the small profit earned will more than likely prompt me to spend money than I normally would, leading to a net loss… But that's the way she goes. If I had any respectable amount of will power, I'd pay off some debt… But that's unlikely.

The person renting the room is a student that will be studying during the summer semester. They're employed (and more importantly, have a student loan, so I know the money's there). They paid the last months rent up front (which I stipulated… Yeah, I used the word stipulated… Hopefully that linguistically perspicacious lady that posts here views this and gets a kick out of that one…), so I'm pretty happy with everything.

Come to think of it, it's a great scenario. I just find it odd that someone will be sleeping in my bed (minus my blankets and stuff) and using all of my shit.

I'm also surprised that this actually worked. I had the ad up for nearly two months as the past semester was coming to a close. I thought that as soon as I posted the ad I would be flooded with interested renters, but all I received were a bunch of no-shows and people trying to offer less than the asking price… Then, last week, some guy sent me a wordy email, complete with references, proof of employment, and even a letter from his parents acting as a guarantor.

- - - - -

Now that that's out of the way... Does anyone have any stories about renting a room (whether you were the renter or rentee)?

P.S. - I'll be watching local online “for sale” sites to ensure my belongings aren't raffled off to he highest bidder… Going once, twice, TV sold for $50…

2. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

you probably should have had a clause in the subletting agreement about deducting damages and missing items from a deposit and clarifying your right to seek compensation for any amount in excess of that, but what evs.

this guy sounds pretty straight arrow, so it will probably be ok (unless his references and letter of lease guarantee were falsified, in which case you're screwed).

people who really have to be in a place at a certain time (e.g., students) get a lot more serious and willing to pay up the closer it gets to a deadline, so it's not that much of a surprise.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Laws very from place to place... Around here you might have to have the person evicted when you wanted to move back in. That's a three month process and they don't pay rent during that time. Meanwhile you would be homeless even though the lease is in your name.

Fucked up shyt.

4. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

better check your lease agreement too...a lot of property owners dont like it when their renters are subletting and profitting off property they dont even own

5. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Hopefully you dont go back one day and all ur shit is gone and it's just an empty room