Acid Reflux

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fueled by Coffee, Apr 16, 2016.

1. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

These last couple months I noticed a very sour taste in my mouth that I couldn't get rid of, not even with mouthwash. I asked around and determined I have acid reflux.

I was advised not to eat before laying down or falling asleep, lose weight, and reduce spicy foods (I love spicy foods).

Have you had acid reflux before? What did you do to get rid of it.

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

1 person likes this.
  3. r0llinstoned

r0llinstoned Gute Nacht, süßer Prinz

Apple cider vinegar
    milk
    dont eat greasy/spicy foods

1 person likes this.
  4. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

If I actually WANT acid reflux, all I have to do is eat chocolate while drinking beer. It's so bad the acid will come out of my nose and cause me to wake up choking and unable to breathe. When it's THAT bad, I go for the baking soda and water then remain vertical until the burping stops. I dissolve about a tablespoon into 12 or so ounces of water and drink about half and gargle with the rest. This is not a good thing to do often.

To keep it from happening I take a zantac before one of Jane, my wife's, challenging Louisiana meals (a handful of gunpowder in every loving bite). I also take one or two a week just to be sure. If it gets really really bad, I go for the 2 week prilosec. Like it or not, this stuff happens as you age. Mick Jagger was right, "What a drag it is growing OLD"!

5. Pressed_Rat

Pressed_Rat Do you even lift, bruh?

I used to sometimes wake up with it when I was overweight obese and drinking heavily back in the mid 2000s, but nothing prolonged. It was, however, almost exactly how you describe regarding the sour taste in your mouth. It almost tasted like vomit, but worse and way more acidic. A few times I actually woke up feeling like I was choking on the acid in my throat and had to rapidly swallow to keep it down.

Based on what I have learned, a lot of it has to do with diet and overall gut flora. While people are told to avoid spicy foods, really it's stuff like sugar and alcohol they need to be more careful about if they're prone to these issues. Not that sugar is inherently evil, but if you eat too much of it, too often, it can lead to stomach problems due to a lack of good and too much bad bacteria in the gut.

It's been found that many people diagnosed with GERD and acid reflux do not get their stomach acid levels checked, and it's been found that many who do, who report these symptoms, actually have LOW acid levels, and that these over-the-counter and prescription acid reducers only make the problem worse by making people dependent on them, never addressing the culprit.

This is from Mercola, so, like everything, it should probably be taken with a grain of salt, but it is interesting nevertheless.

http://articles.***********/sites/articles/archive/2009/04/25/news-flash-acid-reflux-caused-by-too-little-acid-not-too-much.aspx

Anyway, when I changed my diet and lifestyle, these symptoms went away, along with a host of other things like snoring, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, etc.

1 person likes this.
  6. Meliai

Meliai Banned

^ i have read the same thing, that it is due to low acid levels and therefore apple cider vinegar can be effective in treating it.

Eating fermented food or taking a probiotic supplement probably wouldnt hurt either

1 person likes this.
  7. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

I admit that quitting fast food ended most of it. I also took Jagermeister off the menu.

1 person likes this.
  8. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

Thanks everyone. I'll read up on those links and source material when I get some free time a little later. I'll also pay closer attention to what kinds of foods that seem to activate the acid reflux. Maybe my body is telling me to take better care of myself.

9. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

probiotics, weight loss and decreased anxiety helped my reflux problems. It flares up when I don't take the probiotics and/or when my anxiety is higher.

10. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Yes, But I simply stopped eating the few food items that gave me acid reflux such as cinnamon

Hotwater

11. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

I also get the worst reaction from chocolate mixed with alcohol. Just terrible!

12. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

My research is too many simple carbs is the problem. Laying on your side in bed instead of your back can help.

13. Daretobare

Daretobare Member

I too use apple cider vinegar with mother. 2 Tbls. In 4 oz. glass of water couple times a day. Went of my protonix it works so well. Btw... Its been known too to help men with erectile dysfuntion.

14. morrow

morrow Visitor

Omeprazole! Life wouldn't be worth living without it!

15. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

1. Eat an apple or two in the morning
    2. Small meals
    3. No alcohol
    4. No greasy foods
    5. No spicy foods

Also there may be a link between GERD and H. pylori.

16. EllenHudock

EllenHudock Members

To keep your body perfect and fit, I advice you to use a natural supplement for weight loss. It is a easy way to remove excess weight. You can see this website to know more about it. I hope you find it useful.

17. EllenHudock

EllenHudock Members

Looking forward to hear from you.