Books Into Movies

Discussion in 'Books' started by JPN2, Apr 1, 2016.

1. JPN2

JPN2 Supporters HipForums Supporter

Which book(s) would you like being made into movies?

Sandra Miller likes this.
  2. quark

quark Parts Unknown

3. WonderlostVW73

WonderlostVW73 Midwest Librarian

I've read that I'm getting my wish... The Gunslinger series by Stephen King.. Those books were great.

YouFreeMe and tumbling.dice like this.
  4. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

The Poisionwood Blble, or Flight Behavior, although neither would be anywhere near as good as the book.

The Way The Crow Flies.

For fun - The Girl On The Train, which I actually think IS being made into a movie.

5. shoeless joe

shoeless joe Member

Part of me wants to see Tom Clancy's novel "Without Remorse" made into a movie, but I don't think there is any way that a movie adaption would be close to being as good as the book.

6. SpiralOddDuck

SpiralOddDuck Members

The Graceling Series by Kristin Cashore

7. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Tad Williams - Otherland. Wouldn't mind if it would be a tv series instead (as it is quite lengthy) but it would have to be at least as good production wise as Games of Thrones.

If done right it could actually be better than the books.

8. StellarCoon

StellarCoon Dr. Professor

Directed by Peter Jackson:

The Iliad/Odyssey
    The Bible
    Epic of Gilgamesh
    Metamorphoses - Ovid
    Paradise Lost
    Divine Comedy - Dante
    Aeneid

9. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

All of those a quite long - I think you'd be looking at either a series of films or a horrible condensation for each one. Dante in 3 hours? And is it going to be in Italian terza rima or translated to English? Virgil might present a lot of problems as few people have any knowledge of Latin. I think 'Troy' (which was dreadful) is about as close as you're going to get to the Illiad.
    Actually I can't think of a single epic poem that has ever been filmed successfully. Maybe it would be over the head of the average cinema goer.

Who would you cast as Satan in Paradise lost?

10. Asmodean

Exactly my first thought.

Actually my first thought about that list was why Peter Jackson? I would rather have him do fantasy (doesn't have to be sword & magic kind, he would actually be great for Tad Williams Otherland as well i think)
    Also, most ancient greek stories I saw turned into movies were unfortunately terrible movies focussing mostly on digital effects and action to get the 'epicness' (sorry bill!!) of the story across well.

edit: the list is cool at first. But it would really depend on how it is done. I love biblical stories but most movie adaption were mediocre at best. Same with most mythological tales. But in theory they do have a lot of potential moviewise I agree! Not sure it should be done by the director of LotR though

1 person likes this.
  11. Asmodean

I know you weren't asking me but from the top of my head I would consider Ian McShane

12. BlackBillBlake

I agree that most Biblical adaptations are not up to much. With ancient Greek stuff, the same goes, although I quite like the old one-stop-animated version of Jason - but it's meant for kids.
    Also agree with your points about the reliance on digital effects, so I forgive the use of the 'e' word:)

Way I see it though, poetry is poetry and if they tried to do either Dante or Milton as movies it would be something of a travesty. Especially with Milton, the poetic quality of the language is really the main thing - 'better to rule in hell than serve in heaven' etc is what makes it great. I can't see that the LOTR treatment would work on any of the works on the list.

13. StellarCoon

No, ideally these will be made into three separate 2:30 hour parts, similar to The Hobbit. I would sincerely rather they not be made at all than to be squeezed into a single 3 hour film. Troy is a horrible Iliad adaptation. I cringe to whenever it is mentioned as "the" Iliad adaptation. We have more than enough Latin classicists to make the Aeneid, it's just a question of whether the directors are willing to listen and remain faithful to Virgil.

No, trying to adapt Italian terza rima, or any poetic device, to a film is a bad idea. These things are intended for a different audience/scenario/platform. It may be nice on stage, but they have no place on the big screen.

Either Guillermo del Toro or Peter Jackson have the right style to accommodate these best. Better yet, the two can work together.

Gary Oldman as Satan.

14. Asmodean

The Hobbit is actually a great example of a book that shouldn't be turned into a trilogy or (mini)series. Ridicilous that they turned that into a trilogy, but hey christmas and cinemas... I get it. But do you recall how compact that story and book was..
    With LotR there was a simple and valid reason.

15. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I'd like IT and The Stand by Stephen King to be made into actual movies instead of the made for tv miniseries they were.

16. BlackBillBlake

I'm not sure that would be the only problem with a film of Dante. When I read the Divine Comedy, I was constantly having to refer to the voluminous notes section in order to know what he's talking about. I think you'd have to cut so much out that it would be unrecognizable.It would end up being a dumbed down version.
    And although maybe it sounds elitist to say so, I think it would be the same with the other poetic epics. More would be lost than could be translated onto the screen.

17. StellarCoon

To be faithful to the original may not be the most profitable avenue, but I won't watch it if it's a watered down version made for the masses. They can keep Troy and all of their other half-baked, mainstream-targeted, abortions away from me. :D

18. BlackBillBlake

I share your sentiment there. But that's the trouble with films - they cost a lot to make and the makers want to see a profit on their investment, so it's mainly what will have mass appeal that gets made.

Sammanta likes this.
  19. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

20. StellarCoon

The Silmarillion

Tags: