Favorite History To Learn About

Discussion in 'History' started by Irminsul, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

:D That movie is beyond brilliant.

2. themnax

themnax Senior Member

by really popularizing the idea of aggressiveness being a good thing, which it isn't. nor was its rule all that peaceful nor democratic. almost from its very beginning rome was in a constant state of infighting between corrupting influences. it did apply many greek innovations more widely then greece ever could have, but i'm sorry, that's really the most positive thing that can honestly be said about it.

3. themnax

themnax Senior Member

without rome's rise to power, there never would have been the fanatacism that created the middle ages, and without the middle ages, scientific and technological development while slower then we have seen making up for lost time since the industrial revolution, but it would have been steadier, one wouldn't have been needed, and we'd be ahead of where we are now without it. we'd have followed a different path. one less motivated by ego greed and conflict, though perhaps not entirely without them. but they wouldn't have been seen in the rose colored romantic light in which many of today's problems are a result of.

4. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

Question is how peaceful were the other cultures of the time? The Celts, Greeks, Persians etc. Just as aggressive and warlike, although they were not so well organized.

5. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Well, first of all how in earth do you know what else would have been? ;)

Secondly: it can easily be put that the middle ages (which is merely a label of a certain era) didn't came about because of roman fanaticism but actually came to be through the downfall of the roman empire... If the west roman empire would have lasted it could have gone either way. The downfall of it though... can easily be perceived as a reason for the decline in the use and spreading of technological advancements, as well as the rise in 'fanaticism' to put it simply and to use your own term.

6. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

We could look to Roman influence on the Romantic languages, our alphabet, civil law and the concept of a Senate and Republican government, the philosophy of those such as Seneca the Younger, Epictetus and Marcus Aurelius, the science of Galen, Ptolemy, and Hero of Alexandria, high rise buildings, the roman arch, glass windows and other construction innovations, military training and strategies, etc., etc.

7. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Also aquaducts, public baths, and the Cloaca Maxima, an excellent sewer system that was built around 500 BC and is still working today.

8. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

All right, but apart from the sanitation, the medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh-water system, and public health, what have the Romans ever done for us?

2 people like this.
  9. BlackBillBlake

In Britain the Romans introduced many things from cats and pigeons to carrots and peas. Not to mention proper houses with central heating,paved streets, grapes, rhododendrons, the calender - a long list. Also of course, Greco-Roman culture.

I'm not at all convinced that either the Romans or the middle ages were as fanatical as some like to think.

10. autophobe2e

Not a python fan, eh? :D

11. BlackBillBlake

Can't stand them. That's why I posted the clip

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

this is not entirely clear. what is, is that all places suffer when aggressive perspectives get the upper hand.
    it does go further back, to perhaps around the beginnings of agriculture.
    those you mention all did horrible things, but did they represent as much a majority of how people thought?
    well i don't claim to know that either, but i do know, that by romantacizing aggressiveness, the rise and fall of rome, set human development back by a thousand years.
    and it was only when the moores brought, what was then, a new perspective to southern europe, that people there began to question the morality of fanaticism,
    and it was only when they did, that europe was able to break out of the poverty of repression,
    enabling in turn, the industrial revolution's attempt to make up for lost time.

what i am saying though, is that the idea of aggressiveness being a good thing, was not there at the beginnings of humanity, and if it had been,
    it is unlikely human civilization, to the relative degree it ever has existed, would never have come to be.

rome is over rated for a great many things it had nothing to do with inventing, but did put to previously unprecidentedly broad use.
    unfortunately at the point of a sword, and largely without regard to the wishes of anyone other then its self.

13. autophobe2e

cor, that'll teach me to only read the last three posts in a thread :D

14. themnax

themnax Senior Member

if rome hadn't forced people, at the point of a sword, to be dependent on it, how would its downfall have affected anyone? brittain had perfectly good roads, agriculture, houses, and even a political system, long before rome came along and imposed its dictatorship by remote control. as did la tene france and gundistrop mittle europe. and even palistine had its own perfectly good shekkles before rome came along and changed the money to ceaser's.

rome was a victim of the overconfidence of power, just as the overconfidence of power is leading modern nations and economic interests to ignore the finiteness of nature's resources and cycles of self renewal, to their own likely, perhaps all but inevitable, fall.

15. BlackBillBlake

Britain prior to the Roman conquest was not a very peaceful place. The country was dominated by minor iron-age chiefs or kings who were warlike in nature, and controlled their lands from well defended hill forts. They were bent on power and wealth. We don't know how the ordinary person thought. But we don't really know how the ordinary Roman thought either. We only know how a few of the patricians thought.

I just can't see how the Roman empire set things back 1,000 years. It had the very opposite effect in fact of bringing a far higher level of technology and social organization to northern Europe. After the fall of Rome, things reverted, and only started to get back to what they had been around the 15th century.

I'm not at all for romanticizing the Romans, or in fact any historical group or period. They were a very mixed lot. There was good and there was bad, same as every other culture that's existed. They made a big change in European history, and have had a very wide influence.

Although the Moors bought a slightly more tolerant society to Spain for a time, a lot of the very worse fanaticism in southern Europe dates from the time just after the Muslims and Jews were expelled from Spain. The rise of the inquisition was a direct result of that, and there were also the Spanish conquests in the Americas - both of which have become watchwords for fanaticism.

Most of the innovation of the industrial revolution came from northern Europe, from Britain, Germany, France, esp. Britain. By then, the country was well on the way to becoming a second Rome, only with a far bigger empire. And one every bit as vicious as that of the Romans. And like the Romans. did both good and bad.

16. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well i'm still more interested in the less traveled byways of history for their being less completely politicized. who's great great great grandfather might have sat on the same nice flat rock i might sit on, what he might have thought about and why he might have. i can't disagree with anything b^3 said, except for the roots of the inquisition actually going much further back. though it was a symptom of the conflict that was part of the process.

and while i cannot deny that the influence of rome was far reaching, it never physically reached my nice flat rock, neither on the other paw, that history could not as easily have followed an infinity of other possibly paths, a good many of which i would have found far more interesting and gratifying.

a world in which steam, in however unimaginably crude ways, could have been put to real use by what is our 11th century, and electricty by our 12th. perhaps some other long fanatical disruption could have come along since, but imagine where we might by now be, if none ever had.

christianity would have been more like buddhism if it hadn't had rome's millitance to fight. that is if it had even come along at all, or achieved so great a sphere of influence even if it had. there would have been no saul of tarsus and no burning of the library at alexandria. that's what i'm talking about.

17. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Rome was founded in 673 BCE when Tullus Hostilius became king and it was pagan, recognizing multiple religions, until Constantine I converted to Christianity in 312.

That's 985 years.

The reported burning of the Royal Library at Alexandria was an accidental one by Julius Caesar around 44 BCE, it has not been substantiated, but it probably happened. The number of scrolls lost is also in dispute ranging from 4,000 to 400,000.

The Serapeum was a separate building, it was a temple dedicated to Serapis. It was this building that supposedly housed the wisdom of the ages, not the Royal Library. The Serapeum was reported destroyed by a Christian mob in 391 AD after a group of pagans had taken refuge there. The Christians then leveled every other pagan temple in the city according to the Christian historian Socrates Scholasticus.

Then the end of the classical wisdom of the ancients is then usually marked by the death of Hypatia of Alexandria, the Greek female pagan philosopher, mathematician, and astronomer who was caught up in a dispute between different Christian factions among themselves and their dispute with the Jews. Orestes was the Christian Roman governor and Cyril was the Bishop of Alexandria. When Orestes was accused of associating with the pagan Hypatia she was attacked by a Christian mob and killed.

Ancient history and knowledge seems to have preserved pretty well up until the time of the Christian Romans, not the Romans at al.

It's kind of weak to claim that the entire history of Rome led to the destruction of ancient knowledge when most of Rome's history shows us a great respect and preservation of that knowledge.

18. BlackBillBlake

Should have said the Spanish inquisition - you're right that the roots go further back.

Can't see though how technical progress was held back by Rome - it seems to me that it ended with the end of the empire. If the empire had gone on maybe we would have had machines at an earlier date.

19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

nono not held back by rome,
    but by the fanatacism that began with all that crap,
    crap fights between fanatical factions at alexandria.
    i didn't know the details and i probably won't remember them,
    but what i mean was, the way it became unsafe to openly advocate or even admit to,
    scientific thought, after and largely because of that happening.

20. Ajay0

Ajay0 Guest

I am interested in the epoch related to the Mahabharatha , which happened around 3200 B.C to 3100 B.C. I think it was a defining period of ancient history , signalling the end of the Dvapara Yuga or Bronze Age and the beginning of the present Kali Yuga or Materialistic Age.

Much of the present had been predicted then by the sages of those times, such as the incessant conflict and wars along with aberrant behaviour.

In the Mahabharatha war itself, weapons were used with effects similar to those of nuclear weapons. Here is a related verse ..

…a single projectile charged with all the power of the Universe. An incandescent column of smoke and flame As bright as the thousand suns Rose in all its splendour… a perpendicular explosion with its billowing smoke clouds… …the cloud of smoke rising after its first explosion formed into expanding round circles like the opening of giant parasols… ..it was an unknown weapon, an iron thunderbolt, a gigantic messenger of death, which reduced to ashes The entire race of the Vrishnis and the Andhakas. …The corpses were so burned as to be unrecognizable. The hair and nails fell out; Pottery broke without apparent cause, And the birds turned white. After a few hours All foodstuffs were infected… …to escape from this fire, the soldiers threw themselves in streams to wash themselves and their equipment.

I am interested in this period for its wisdom along with information to deduct the ongoing path of the present age.