Favorite History To Learn About

Discussion in 'History' started by Irminsul, Mar 28, 2016.

1. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

lol...you are funny...and here I was thinking on this site anything before 1980 never happened.....and is just myth....but wait....there is the hippie culture here, too...so make that anything before 1960....and nothing happened. it was all a figment of someone's imagination.....:p

2. Piaf

Piaf Senior Member

The Third Age of Middle Earth

1 person likes this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Where's my sparring partner hiding? :D Must be studying up his books getting ready for a counterattack or something.

4. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Obviously skipped the Silmarillion ;)

5. themnax

themnax Senior Member

signs lie too. so nobody got shot (at that exact location), and no politician made a speech (at that exact location), but i'm sure someone must have walked by, even if they weren't someone human. plants grew or died, a road or path may have been cut or paved, maybe a cat had kittens. almost certainly large numbers of the kinds of things historians claim to be unimportant happen every place every year.

any bets a dog, fox, wolf, or some other wild creature didn't stop there and take a piss?

1 person likes this.
  6. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i can understand the motivation for the sign though. just as a wild guess, its either somewhere in boston mass u.s. or london g.b. and within a radius of 50 to a couple hundred feet are at least 15 to 20 memorial signs about something that happened at each of them. the bricks look much too new for the wall its attached to to have been built yet at that time, or even longer ago then the 1950s or 60s.

but for nothing at all to have happened for an entire year, any year, any place, even a square inch of sand in the middle of a desert, is objectively improbably in the extreme. even if it was only one tiny bug that came by and took a piss.

7. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

I just discovered this great topic. Thanks for starting this, Irminsul.

I will reply more later, but I just wanted to say that in the last ten years, I've gotten somewhat obsessed about history. I never liked the subject when I was young. But now, I read a lot about the history of Boston, Salem, and Rome. Regarding Boston and Salem, it's mostly the early history, from 1628 to about 1840. In about two weeks, I'm moving to an old house in Salem, where I will join the Atheneum and the Peabody-Essex Museum and have access to all the oldest documents.

8. Bud D

Bud D Member

When I was a kid I liked to read and look at pictures about the Vietnam war. I kinda like the 1930's anymore.

9. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

I'm currently reading a book about the Roman army in Britain. Very interesting but lots of detail I could do without.

I'm on an interesting section regarding marching and training camps and supply routes.

The most interesting thing I discovered so far is that Indiana was the name of a Roman Ala Legion; named after Julius Indus. Then I checked it on the web and found it was an elephant unit as "Indian" was a Roman term for the riders of elephants.
    I always thought the state of Indiana was named after American Indians.

And also Rufus was a Roman name.

10. Asmodean

Well, american indians are named after (or like that because of) the americas being mistaken at first for India. I still think the state of Indiana was named after american indians ;)

Or did Julius Indus travel from Britain to the later to be state of Indiana? :p

11. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The elephants came from India...

12. scratcho

scratcho Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I quite like the period of US history from 1800 to the second world war. Lewis and Clark, the civil war, the pioneers the native Americans, etc. Not so much the wars of the 20th century, but the everyday lives of people in a difficult period of settlement here, an era filled with hope at the possibilities of life in a "new"land. Unfortunately for the original occupants, of course.

What impress me so much also, are the towering, fantastical architectural wonders of the cathedrals in Europe. Extremely talented architects-builders had amazing talent in the past.

Anything art nouveau or art deco, buildings, appliances, items for everyday use such as tools, personal items, etc.

13. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i much prefer the history of technological innovation before there was an america or even a christianity. and to speculate on what the world could have been like if rome hadn't come along and screwed everything up.
    but like i said, i'm interested in the thoughts of the littlest grandmother who ever sat on that same nice flat rock right there, maybe ten or eleven THOUSAND years ago. you know, like what some place looked like before it looked the way it looks now. all the diffrent ways it looked down through time. what was built when, torn down when. what plants grew and were replaced by others, or died for what reasons. what little creatures scampered about, playing, exploring, looking for something to eat, or to avoid being eaten, what kind of things the first creatures to live there, millions of years before humans did that altered their environment.

anything more recent then 600 years in the u.s., or even a couple of thousand years in some parts of the planet, is going to be too tainted by propiganda to be reliably useful, or even reliably reliable.
    i am interested in the victims of genocides though, before the genocides happened, long enough before for their lives and cultures to not have been tainted by whatever conditions and circumstances brought their genocides about.

i'm not interested in humans with guns. i'm not interested in humans with swords. i'm not interested in humans with or without cities and cars. but i am interested in how they built houses. how they planted gardens.
    how they evolved mechanical things. how and why they built laylines and stone circles. how they decided when to plant and harvest. how ordinary people lived their everyday lives. screw the kings and the politicians.
    what they ate and how they prepared it. how they got along with their non-human neighbors, the plants and the animals. that's the kind of history i care about. not all that crap about wars and the speaches made to make excuses for them.

14. MeAgain

Yeah, I checked it out "land of the Indians".

15. MeAgain

Interesting, how did the Romans screw everything up? I thought the era of Pax Romana was the longest period of relative peace ever seen for such a large group of people up until that time in history.

1 person likes this.
  16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think Indiana was named after Indiana Jones. :D
    Well no, not really. But along with with our history talk, Indiana Jones kicks ass! Best. Historian. Ever. :D

17. Asmodean

All relative indeed. It was in the time Rome shifted from republic to a dictatorial empire. Also, how long did Rome last after the pax romana period was over? Mostly because they watered down their own system. In this period they still made use of the divide and conquer strategy. If it wasn't for their armies there probably wasn't a relative peace either :-D

But, I as well am interested in Themnax reply. Not sure how great it would be without the romans rising to power.

18. Asmodean

Pretty close, Jones was named after his state (captain obvious in the house). I love his trip to Nazi Germany (he even got an autograph!), almost gets time to see that movie again :)

Anyway, I thought you would pick Lara Croft as the best ;)

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I love The Last Crusade. It's got a bit of everything in it in terms of history plus mixing modernish war with knights and the holy grail, I dunno, you just can't beat that. Plus the start of the movie, the young Indiana Jones part that was awesome. :)

I'm not a tomb raider person. I never even played the video games. :D

20. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExWfh6sGyso

2 people like this.