Favorite History To Learn About

Discussion in 'History' started by Irminsul, Mar 28, 2016.

1. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

The "law for the restoration of the civil service" which Hitler instituted, as predicted by Max Planck, the father of modern quantum physics, fucking mutilated Germany in terms of education, particularly in the sciences. 50% of German Nuclear physicists left the country. 14% of academics across all subjects, 10 physicists and four chemists who had won or would win the Nobel Prize emigrated. This is the educational equivalent of taking a rusty razor to one's testicles.

As a direct result of the politicisation of education and the political rejection of Einstein's theories, the German Nuclear programme was hampered, and probably doomed, from the off. Neither the Germans nor Japanese figured out isotope separation. The Germans never had a working pile,never managed to get their reactor critical. Hadn't even correctly calculated the critical mass of uranium. There seems little evidence that they ever even considered the idea of a "bomb", but rather saw the possibility of a future power source for long-distance submarines. When they heard the news about the explosions in Japan, the scientists of Germany's nuclear programme flat-out denied that such a thing were possible. Doesn't sound to me like Hitler had it all sewn up...

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I meant, the idea was already sewn up but the production was too time consuming, too much effort. He didn't want a drawn out war, he needed it to end quickly. From memory it was becoming too costly also. They didn't need a bomb in 4 years time, they needed it now. The whole German battery worked on shock and awe tactics. That's how was explained to me anyway, which is the idea of the Blitzkrieg was a total drop in spirit and morale which I could imagine. Hiding and bunking down while the bombs dropped and then when you thought it was safe, you popped your head up only to feel the ground shake from the iron beasts approaching. That would be a terrible feeling. Be like "shiiiit, what now!"

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

From what I've read of German tanks they were formidable machines but subject to breakdowns due to their complexity. The Tiger was great in a head to head battle but it had engine problems and used too much fuel.

The Russian T34 and U.S. Sherman were more dependable and built in such numbers that they overwhelmed the German tanks.

4. Emanresu

Emanresu Member

The facts are there for anybody to study. Maybe you need to hit the books again.

5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Why? All I need to do is Google "foreign volunteers for the Waffen-SS"

6. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

The underlying problem with the German tanks was the complete inefficiency on fuel. They chew through fuel. Towards the end of the war and all the fuel plants were destroyed and train lines couldn't bring fuel to the fronts the tanks just became sitting road blocks. They were so armored that they needed huge engines to move them around. The American Shermans barely made a dint in a tiger. The shell would literally bounce off. Russian tanks were slightly better, but from front on even my grandaddy said they'd bounce off. You had to hit the sides of the tracks to stop them. So when the Stürmgeschutz was designed, as a turretless tank it always had to be facing the enemy, that way, the shells just bounced off it and they would just keep firing at the enemy.

Most German tank chassis were re-used as stationary turret tanks like the panzer jäger division and Stürmgeschutz.

Also Stürmgeschutz is fun to say. :)

7. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

The Allies produced 4,358,649 tanks, self-propelled artillery, and vehicles. The Axis 670,288.

Same thing happened with the Merchant Marine Liberty ships. The U.S could build one about 70 days. One was finished 10 days after the keel laying. The Germans couldn't sink them fast enough to slow down supply of the British Isle and Russia.

Overwhelmed.

8. Emanresu

Emanresu Member

Anyone who spends even the tiniest amount of time studying WWII history is aware of the non-Germanic people who fought for the Reich. It is a well known subject and is not hidden in any way. In addition to the Arabic and Nordic SS formations there were many French volunteers who fought for the Reich as well as a few million Russians. Anyone who knows anything about the war knows this. But you seem to be woefully unaware of a large number of important facts. First, those foreign SS division were formed years after the war began. Who was responsible for the Babi Yar ravine? Where is your explanation for the Holocaust by Bullets? What information did you use to debunk all of the wire-tapped conversations of Wermacht (not SS) prisoners of war openly talking about the atrocities they committed or witnessed? How do you explain the agreement between the testimonies of victims, Wermacht soldiers, top German officials, and allied soldiers (people who hated each other and had no reason to engage in conspiracy with one another)? Do you also claim that the well documented atrocities carried out by the German army during the Frist World War never happened?

If you think that the fact that there were non-German SS members is evidence that the Germans did not carry out massive atrocities then you are basically admitting that you are not interested in rational argument so I am sure I have no chance of convincing you. To anyone else reading this who has not made up their minds I say this: Do not believe what you read here, not what I or anyone else says. Study the evidence for yourself. I have been studying this evidence on a daily basis for years and it is my belief that the atrocities carried out by ordinary Wermacht personnel are among the most well established historical facts ever recorded. The idea that the SS was responsible has been thoroughly debunked (They did their share too, the Totenkopf for example provided many of the death camp functionaries). Also consider that it was the Wermacht, not the SS, that was responsible for the treatment of POWs on the Eastern Front.

9. Emanresu

Emanresu Member

So is Stukageschwader

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

No, you aren't going to convince me, plus now you are just writing down things i never even talked about. Im going to go with what ive been told from the people who have been there over whatever you think is legit from the books you have read.

I've never been interested in the First World War, so I don't know.

All my teachings come directly from the folk that were fighting. Not a history book, not a study session. People. And I don't believe I once claimed that German soldiers had no responsibility in what happened, I simply stated that's it is never a clear cut as pointing the finger at Germany for every thing that happened.

And this isn't a extremely militant gotta be 100% with quotes and references, we're just posting what we find interesting. :unsure:

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Fahrvergnugen

12. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I also like learning about the origins of words and especially names, family names. :D

13. Asmodean

Ok, I posted this pic before on here but this is my fav german word AND machine in the entire history of the country :D

Schmankerlschrankerl

[​IMG]

Please indulge us in the etymology if you can!

14. Emanresu

Emanresu Member

You literally said that the majority of the atrocities were carried out by people who were not German.

And yes I am talking about things you never mentioned in part to demonstrate that you clearly don't know what you are talking about. How can you make far reaching claims about atrocities during the Second World War if you are unfamiliar with notable events like the mass killings at Babi Yar, or the tapped conversations between captured German officials, the Wermacht volunteers in the Einsatzgruppen, and the rest of the almost endless evidence?

Also, you do realize that those books you disdain were created from interviews with the people who were there (perpetrators and victims), and I am sure those authors have spoken to many more eye witnesses than you have. It is the consensus of the majority of historical authorities that things happened the way I described. If you intend to seriously cast doubt on the official story you will need more than a few stories from your grandfather.

I mention the First World War because it highlights that German soldiers were committing atrocities before the Second World War. It seems strange to deny what happened in WWII but to have no comment on what happened earlier.

15. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I said the majority of the mopping up of Russian Jews on the Eastern front after cities had been captured were carried out by non Germans. I said Estonians, Latvians and Lithuanians. I said you can't deny the camps were run by Germans, but they weren't the only country out there willingly killing civilians for their own cause.

Also it seems pretty dumb to have to take your books seriously just because they were written from interviews of people that were there when you ask me to disconcern myself of the stories I've been told by the people that were there.. What kind of logic is that?

You're right, I'm wrong, I'm right you're wrong. Fine. Let's play that game.

But if we are going to take all our information from books..

[​IMG]

Case in point, that's all I was trying to get across. ;)

Anything else? That just confirms what I said in the first place. Especially about how those countries continue to fight the Russians well after the war. Oh okay then, yeah sure, all Germany.

Feel free to apologize if you see fit. ;)

Also, with your knowledge and all, I don't know how you can seriously sit there and point the finger for all things terrible at Germany when you're apparently well aware just how many other volunteer nations that made up Waffen-SS divisions, like Division Nordland, Wiking - Just from Scandianvia, and not even mentioning the Albanians, The Yugoslavs, The Greece, Muslim, Serbian, Croatian involvement in the Waffen-SS, do you really think the that Deutsch Units and Division of the Waffen-SS, who did much of the fighting, really had time to spend on the rounding up of captives and executions of prisoners when their blitzkrieg tactics forced them to keep pressing farther into the West?

C'mon, man.

Still, there was no bait, no subject to discuss WW1 atrocities and you and I both aren't going to sit here and pretend that every other nation involved in these two wars were saints and that only Germany was the sinner. I won't let you do that to me, I won't let you do that to my family.

16. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

It would appear, is a sausage vending machine. :D I don't ever think I have seen one. How do they keep fresh? :D I always got to the local butcher.

17. Asmodean

My guess is proper packaging and eager consumers are keeping the product from getting old in there :p

18. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

My mistake. Sure I'd read that Newton was Jewish, and when I looked it up just now, there is some controversy. Either way, he was one of the greatest scientists and mathematicians of all time, on that most are agreed.

We're all the products of the cultures into which we were born. I'm certainly no nationalist or patriot, but I do see that Britain has done some good things in the world, as well as much bad.
    These days it's becoming a kind of parody of the past I think. I'm happier to identify with wider European culture than British only - an unfashionable view in some quarters.

I do think that often the bad stuff the Brits did gets pushed aside to make way for flag waving, and I think it's essential that people should know the truth of things - if that leads to a certain amount of shame - and reading the details of the slave trade for example should make anyone slightly ashamed - so be it.

19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

mine would be, wherever i happen to be, everything that happened in right that place, all the way back, as long as there were people there, how those people experienced living there, what were the resources they made use of and how, and then even further back then that, the plants and before the plants the rocks, and all the way back to the planet itself. but not the history of people who came to that place form elsewhere, their history of the else wheres they came from, but of this square inch of soil, underneath right where i'm standing. i mean sure, once they got here they became PART of the history of this place, but every place has its own history predating the arrival of whoever most recently claimed possession and hierarchy over it. my whole frustration with the way history is taught, is its refusal, for reasons of obvious political motivation, to do that.

so until people, and history are willing to look at it that way, my interest in so called history is very limited and that is why.

20. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]