Name That Tune!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Meagain, Mar 24, 2016.

1. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

This is a game I just invented called Name That Tune which is not like the old game show that started back in the fifties as they based their game on the tunes themselves. I'm going to use the lyrics of the tunes!

I could call it Name That Song, but Name That Tune sounds better to me.

So here's the rules.
    I'll cite some lyrics from Classic Rock Songs circa 1965 to 1975 or there about.
    You will name the song, group or artist, year, or whatever else you can about the tune the lyrics come from.

No Goggling allowed.
    Some will be hard, some easy.
    I'll list ten to start and try to put the easiest ones first.

Here goes:

1. It's wonderful to be here.

2. Well, let me tell you 'bout the way she looked, The way she acts and the color of her hair.

3. Yonder come miss Rosie, how in the world did you know?, By the way she wears her apron, and the clothes she wore.

4. The tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers, And you want to take her with you to the hard land of the winter.

5. On a cloud of sound I drift in the night, Any place it goes is right, Goes far, flies near, to the stars away from here.

6. And when the morning of the warning's passed, the gassed and flaccid kids are flung across the stars, The psychodramas and the traumas gone, The songs are left unsung and hung upon the scars.

7. Here they come, and the fire on their wings doesn't burn, Here they come, and they know everything we must learn, Round, round, we must turn.

8. I'm not searching for a reason to enjoy myself, Seems it's better done,Than argued with somebody else.

9. I will want to die beneath the white cascading waters.

10. Starfleet to scoutship, please give your position, Over. I'm in orbit around the third planet from the star called the sun. Over.

Wow, I'm thinking these are too hard.​

1 person likes this.
  2. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

#2 is the Zombies. She's not there...

I knew that one right off the bat. Will have to put my mind to the others for a bit.

1 person likes this.
  3. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

i was exactly the same..only the zombiis came quick...the others did not ring bells though im sure i know some

4. deleted

deleted Visitor

1 IDK
    2 shes not there, be damned i csn think the band tho.. oh zombies.
    3 andy griffith..
    4 tales ulysses.
    5 magic carpet
    6 IDK
    7 IDK
    8 IDK
    9 IDK
    10 Jimi

5. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Dude I got like 1 (literally) Sgt. Pepper - The rest are too obscure

Hotwater

6. MeAgain

Jeez how could you guys miss Sgt. Pepper? 1,000 points to hotwater.

Zombies (Van Morrison) is correct for #2, She's Not There
    #3 should be easy, well known group, remake of old traditional folk song so technically you could name a number of bands that covered it although the lyrics might vary somewhat.
    Orison got #4 by Cream also #5 by Steppenwolf and #10 Third Stone From the Sun by Hendrix, I thought that one would stump everyone as the lyrics are really hard to understand.

So that leaves #3, #6, #7, #8, and #9.
    All very popular groups, one was in a movie. #6 might be considered not mainline rock, more of a pop group but they had several hits.

7. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Well, *************************************!...i am embarrassed i did not get Sgt pepper, and when it was said, I thought...crap....how did I miss that? :D

Now, i don't know the others gotten right so far and i am still stumped on your others no one has gotten yet.....

Fun game!

8. MeAgain

Orison gets one point for #3 as Andy Griffith did do a at least two covers of Midnight Special, but I would put them in the traditional folk song genre, not even "rock" type of folk songs. One cover was on The Andy Griffith Show with actor James Best playing electric guitar, later to be on The Dukes of Hazard.

I was thinking of Creedence Clearwater Revival.

I'll post the other answers later today if no on gets them.

9. MeAgain

#6 is Along Comes Mary by The Association
    Mary refers to marijuana. It charted number 7 in 1966. they also had hits with Windy, Never My Love, and Cherish.
    they were the lead band at the 1967 Monterey Pop Festival.

#7 is Here They Come, from the album A Space In Time by Ten Years After, 1971.
    Ten Years After featured Alvin Lee, once known as the fastest guitarist in the West. They were renown for their performance of I'm Going Home at Woodstock.

#8 is Over Under Sideways Down by the Yardbirds. Inspired by Bill Haley's Rock Around the Clock it reached 13 in the U.S charts in 1966 and is rated number 23 in Rolling Stone's greatest guitar songs of all times. Jeff Beck plays both lead and bass.

Number 9...Number 9...Number 9.....Wasn't Born to Follow by the Byrds. Written by Gerry Goffin and Carol King it first appeared on the album The Notorious Byrd Brothers in 1968. The album has been acclaimed as one of the greatest rock albums of all times. In 1968 Wasn't Born to Follow was included in the movie Easy Rider.

And here's the others:

Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band needs no comment.
    She's Not There, I screwed up here, for some reason I always think Van Morrison was in the Zombies when it was actually Rod Argent. Van was in the band Them.
    This song reached number 2 in the U.S. charts in 1964. And is one of Rolling Stone's top 500 rock songs of all times. They also had U.S hits with Tell Her No, and Time of the Season.
    The Midnight Special dates back to 1905 and has been covered by millions and millions and millions. CCR did it in 1969.
    Tales of Brave Ulysses, 1967, is based on Homer's Odyssey. The lyrics were handed to Eric Clapton written on napkin by psychedelic artist Martin Sharp as they had lunch together. Clapton wrote the music based on Zal Yanovsky's guitar work in The Lovin' Spoonful's Summer in the City.
    Magic Carpet Ride, 1968 by Steppenwolf was inspired by John Kay's new stereo hi-fi (the sound machine). It also appeared in Easy Rider and in at least 19 other movies.
    Third Stone From the Sun, 1967, is one of Hendrix's lesser known songs IMO. He and his producer Chris Chandler of the English group The Animals were fans of Star Trek and based the song on that TV show. They can be heard talking together in the background. Apparently it's not on You Tube but here is an enhanced version sped up so you can hear the words. It's a shame I can't find the original, very good song.