Can't Change My Ip

Discussion in 'Computers and The Internet' started by Bud D, Mar 14, 2016.

1. AceK

AceK Scientia Potentia Est

There are quite a few things you can do. Be careful, and ALWAYS pay attention to detail.

Don't reuse passwords on different accounts, this lessens the damage if an account is compromised.

Use strong passwords like : ZUKQ7vVmFLZMZYyQXMTe

Don't reuse pseudonyms or user names

Avoid vulnerable sites (again, see tip number 1).

Don't sign in from computers you don't trust, or that might be compromised ... if you sign into an account on my computer I might be running a keylogger without you knowing it.

Avoid signing into anything using public wifi hotpots such as starbucks without using an encrypted tunnel of some sort. Man in the middle attacks and evil twin attacks are possible issues here.

and lots of other things, but these are a few of the most obvious things that are easy to explain without writing an essay.

2. Bud D

Bud D Member

I read on Shroomery news that the FBI can get a warrant to hack any computer using TOR or anonymity software come December. I haven't come across any other sources talking about this or where they get such a privilege. I don't think everyone that uses private network software is breaking the law. Maybe someone is ashamed of watching chicks with dicks or something?

If they do start hacking computers due to using certain software, their going to be awfully busy!

3. AceK

So they're going to hack the planet? Haha. We'll see ... good luck to them. The only thing that would come from this is everybody steps up their game a few notches, and anonymous might just get fed up enough with this and hack them ... anonymous has hacked the FBI before, so it's not out of the question that they do it again. Sounds like a bunch of scare-mongering to me. And good luck hacking anonymous ... it's not like it's one person or anything, rather lots of people all over the planet.

This IS bullshit (a lot of people on shroomery are bit paranoid), the courts ruled that this type of warrant is not valid, thus the FBI would be committing crimes covered by the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act of 1986 were they to do such a thing.

The Tor Project is constantly working to improve itself constantly (as any software project does) and has declared its support for Apple in the encryption battle with the FBI. There WILL be war against the government. You can't make encryption illegal, can you make math illegal? ;)

4. Bud D

Bud D Member

They can make all encrypted communications illegal and I have read that IT ALL IS ILLEGAL.

They could use military courts if they wanted, but I don't think they have brain washed the troops enough for that. They need people under their spell or they are as vunerable as everyone else.

I think they DO hack the planet as they enjoy power, privilege and a challenge.

I recommend being paranoid but not putting yourself in danger. There are huge differences.

5. Jenny40

Jenny40 Members

ISP will always have your IP address and will know that you have hit a Tor entry node, but from that point on they won't know where you exit, and if you stay browsing on the .onion side of things your dark on the inside. Law enforcement was supposed to have cracked Tor (see Silk Road) but I think that was a bit of bragging. If you want to stay anon to the sites you visit then use something like Squid and configure for total anonymity. Loads of info, just Google. Also Squid has the added bonus of speeding up your online experience.

1 person likes this.
  6. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

You are online... You are being monitored.

Everybody that is online is being monitored...

7. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. AceK

The way they "cracked" silk road was a flaw in the turing test verification code that revealed the true IP address of the server. They didn't actually break any encryption, or break tor. Just a programming mistake made by a hacker that had probably become far too confident and complacent and didn't notice the fatal mistake he had failed to notice.

9. Jenny40

Jenny40 Members

There was a lot of chatter at the time that they had set up a load of their own Tor nodes and used some form of probability theory to narrow down their tracking. Not sure how much of this was true. I believe Tor is intact and not compromised, but given what seems to be the infinite resources of the security services I'm sure it will be an on-going battle to stay ahead of the game.

Just think what difference we could make to the world if all that energy and money was invested elsewhere.

10. AceK

The NSA does operate TOR nodes. Though this is only effective if they can virtually own all tor nodes, which isn't usually the case. There is an organization at my university and some of these guys are in PhD school and are working on ways to identify and eliminate these malicious TOR nodes, as well as research on cryptocurrency. Some of them also do research on anti-forensics, researching and developing forensics techniques and then developing ways to thwart them :) See, hackers aren't bad people like the media wants you to think, there are lots of them in academia working to make things better and eliminate what is evil.

11. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Maybe you may not be a bad hacker, some are.
    Would you like it if one was hacking into all of personal shit for personal lulz or gain?
    Also, by anti forensics, I hope you do not mean in the criminal world.
    Catching murderers and things, etc....should be on top of anyone's list.
    Those are the evil.

12. Jenny40

Jenny40 Members

I think you've missed IRQ's point Moonglow. You should value your privacy.

13. Moonglow181

Oh, I know, and i do. Everyone should.....
    I had a problem with a hacker...not with IRQ....but I just wanted it to be made clear that not all hackers are good.....as that would be a myth.
    Not all anything is good...There are good doctors out there and bad ones, for example....etc....

As a matter of fact, anything I write now in emails is with purposeful intent knowing someone might be looking....lol
    No one gets the real me there and never will.

14. Jenny40

Jenny40 Members

Actually the word hacking has become to mean computer crime or computer exploitation, but the word has it's roots in a less sinister area. In my old company for instance they would have a hacking day once a quarter. This was a day of code where the IT guys could re-engineer code or systems to make them better. I like t think of it as a software engineering term, and would fall back to using cracker for those with malicious intent. Think of it as taking a piece of code and chopping it up with a virtual axe (to hack) into something that better fits your needs.

15. Moonglow181

It is a shame that a few bad apples have to ruin it for everyone...Encounter shit, and then all of a sudden, you cannot trust anyone....or take them at face value...which is how it has become for me........I do not have any problems in real life.....It is only since I have been using a computer that i do....So many hide behind the screen....

My mom would tell me stay off the computer and don't write anything...speak to the people on the phone, if you have to.........She knew....and she never had a computer or knew how to use one....but she saw the writing on the wall......as soon as i got my first computer, unfortuneatley......:(

16. AceK

Yes ... its using analysis to make systems function in a way not necessarily originally intended, possibly to improve it. (Actually, the building of pretty much any system that doesn't already exist to function that way is "hacking", since you are taking something and making it do something that it couldn't otherwise do) .. I mean when all you've got is a micro-controller, a few integrated circuits, various other electronic components that on its own is pretty much capable of ... nothing much at all ... when you make it into something actually functional, what would you call that. Engineering? What's the difference?

People should stop listening to the media and its propaganda. They want to brainwash the new generation into thinking that by "tampering" with electronics and systems equals criminal. If I own the system I can do what the fuck I want thank you very much. People ought to be allowed to at least have fun while voiding their warranty right? And they certainly shouldn't be afraid to smoke a few chips or break some systems in order to learn from the mistakes they made.

17. Moonglow181

Again, I do not care what you or anyone else does with their own systems.....throw it out the window for all I care.....Again...i was hacked....again....it was admitted to me, even that they were hacking me.....again....they were reading everything I was doing on my own system...before i knew it....again.........not acceptable.

18. AceK

By anti-forensics, I mean methods by which to make forensic analysis difficult to impossible to do, by law enforcement or anyone else. A simple anti-forensic technique easy to explain to you would be to overwrite every sector of a hard disk with LOL .. repeatedly so when analyzed all they would see is "LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL" ... LOL, u know, like, gotcha, go fuck urself now and shove the hard disk platter up ur anus;)

And a lot of the things I do, I do it for the lulz ;)

I only fuck up people's computers that piss me off or try to fuck me over though (best not to let people use or get too close to your computers and phones, especially people that you've pissed off before)

I've had plenty of attacks (attempted instrusions) against my machine. In fact they happen all the time from chinese botnets but they never get in, my authentication is too complex that they'll never figure it. I could just see the logs that show hundreds of authentication failed messages per second happening over many months ... and they still never made it. If they had they would have erased or edited the logs to hide the intrusion attempts so that it would go unnoticed (this also would be considered anti-forensics). Now my machine just temp-bans hosts that try this shit too many times in a short period of time, so they can only try a few times before getting "connection refused". This cuts down on log file spam (all the authentication failed messages and other logs of their activity makes the log files get pretty big and use up disk space) These botnets pretty much scan large blocks of IP ranges for machines running certain ports and try exploiting them, and since they try this against millions of machines some of them will be vulnerable. They have unlimited time on their hands, and massive amounts of computing muscle, being composed of thousands or hundreds of thousands of compromised machines taken over to do this in order to grow the botnet.

As far as throwing computers out the window, I've thought about that MANY times: that is throwing my alarm clock out the window when it goes off while I'm trying to sleep. And yes, alarm clocks are computers ... so are remote controls, cable tv boxes, etc. They are embedded systems that run code. That alarm clock is annoying though when I'm trying to sleep, so I often contemplate the force exerted against it by the pavement below, and the effects that would have on the system, as it is accelerated by gravity at a rate of 9.8 meters per second squared. I think it would probably put it to sleep.

19. Moonglow181

You said you could f up a whole school's system computers and all of their records if you were back in high school and you could not be dismissed to go pee pee....now, you would pee in your seat and then bring the whole school down.....Ghod, only knows.....I have pissed you off more than that! LOL

and I doubt the hard disc will fit up my u know what....lololololololol

20. AceK

I don't recall you ever denying me the privilege to take a piss when i needed to. Actually if i was in high school I'd probably do all of the above, but if they said I couldn't go take a piss I'd probably also tell them to fuck themselves and walk out. Either way, i'm sure I'd be expelled. I'm just not cut out for high school. I'm not interested in such silly things like that ;)