Longer Years?

Discussion in 'Weird, Bizarre and Mysterious' started by Bilby, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Bilby

Bilby Lifetime Supporter and Freerangertarian Super Moderator

The weather here has been unseasonably hot like it would normally in the middle of February when it was unseasonably mild. So I have a theory that planet Earth is moving away from the Sun and there for will have more days in the year.This theory is consistent with the theory of an expanding universe.

2. tlucy

tlucy Members

Or, you know, it could be man-made climate change.

3. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Off the top of my head the distance the Earth is from the Sun won't necessarily have any bearing on the length of time it takes for the Earth to travel around the sun (a year). The velocity or speed of rotation around the Sun is what determines the time one rotation takes, not the distance, although they are related through gravity and mass.

Turns out the Earth is moving away fro the Sun by 15cm per year, but a year is still a year of 365 days.

The number of days in a year, or one rotation of the Earth around the Sun, depends not only on the elapsed time required to complete the circuit but also the speed of rotation of the Earth around its own axis. If the Earth's rotation speeds up we get more days in a given year, if it slows down we get less days in the same year.

1 person likes this.
  4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

we actually have sped up the rotation of the planet within the last 100 years by stockpiling water mainly in the northern hemisphere and that alteration of mass distribution has shortened the length of a day.
    same principle as a skater spinning going faster when they bring their arms in and change their center of mass

1 person likes this.
  5. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

It's the new normal...

1 person likes this.
  6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Seriously fascinating!

7. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

I’m familiar with that theory but the problem is I heard it from a guy who told me he was hearing voices in his head and believed it was the word of God

Hotwater

8. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

I'd rather blame violence in video games

9. xenxan

xenxan Visitor

No, just regular old climate change. The Earth has had enough and she is getting rid of the virus that infects her.

10. Asmodean

Unfortunately the virus is very adaptable :p :D

edit: knocks on unpainted wood

11. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Seasons have been funky here for sure - we had two months of winter this year starting right around January 1, one day of spring (seriously) now it feels like summer. We barely had a fall last year, it was 75 on Christmas Day.

A couple of years ago we didn't really have a summer, we had a warm (but very cool for this area) rainy season. The year before was one of the warmest summers on record and the heat didn't break until late October.

It has been several years since we have really had our normal seasons here.

But I definitely attribute it to plain ol climate change

12. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

idk, but being over 80 degress here just two days ago sucks....too hot for this time of year. I do not like it.

13. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

The tree frogs are out... That's supposed to happen in June.

14. deleted

deleted Visitor

15. Asmodean

^
    I saw a great doc about that dam and the impact it has on the environment and millions of people. Sometimes the change was for the better, and sometimes really really not. It was clear though that many chinese average joes do not dare to give their honest opinion about that dam :p

Can you imagine how big of a mass of water this dam stops from flowing through in order to have that impact on the earths rotation!? :dizzy2:

16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Would you say they didn't give a dam? [​IMG]

*Note: Yes it took me like 3 times quoting and a Browser change just for that one.

1 person likes this.
  17. Asmodean

If there wasn't a chinese government official with the (dutch) interviewer they might have been more open. For some the dam fucked up their whole life and still they insisted they didn't have any (negative) opinion about it. You probably heard how it can go there. It's not north korea but it's not peachy fine either by a long shot :p

If you didn't include this I don't think anybody would have noticed ;)

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

which is kinda what climate change means