Question About Psychedelics After Bad Marijuana Trip.

Discussion in 'Psychedelics' started by AstralProjectee, Mar 1, 2016.

1. AstralProjectee

AstralProjectee Guest

Hi all so I recently did some marijuana. It had been a long time since I did any. And it knocked the f*** out of me. It was very uncomfortable in the beginning. My heart was racing even though I laid down. I freaked out and called 911. Luckily the police said they weren't going to bring me to jail or do any paper work on me. Interestingly about 4 people on my way to the hospital and back including two paramedics were talking nothing but good things about marijuana. I admit in the end I could have waited it out, but I didn't have a sitter to calm me down. And prevent me from calling 911.

Anyway I don't want to do marijuana again. It was a mind f***. I just kept thinking that the experience is way to broken up to enjoy it. I was hearing stuff, and seeing things, echoing thoughts over and over, morphing into different thoughts. But it was just all too chaotic. I was going in and out of reality. And I felt burning sensations. And I felt like I was being bumped all over. It was a borderline bad trip, and at times it was a bad trip, though only temporarily.

But I hear so many great things about psychedelics, and I really wanted to try that first but that didn't happen. Anyway so I am trying to reconcile taking a psychedelic after such a terrible experience with marijuana. Are psychedelics so detached and scary? And are the experiences on psychedelics too broken up? Thoughts? My thoughts are probably not, but I just want to input from experienced users of both marijuana and psychedelics.

EDIT: I realize that marijuana isn't a true psychedelic.

2. quark

quark Parts Unknown

Pot related anxiety is never funny while it's happening, although good for a laugh once you're out of harms way.

I would think that a bad acid trip would be unimaginably worse.

3. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

Sounds more like you smoked something other than weed...

4. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Generally speaking, traditional psychedelics are far more boundary dissolving and intense in every facet of the experience compared to marijauna. However, it's not unheard of for some well versed in both psychedelics and marijuana, to say that marijuana has the potential to be more anxiety inducing than some psychedelic experiences. People have variable reactions to most drugs and I think marijuana is taken for granted in this respect, there tends to be more of a casualness about it, which is not really the same approach many have with most psychedelics.

I have had proper psychedelic experiences with marijuana, primarily with edibles, but it's certainly the outliers of my Marijuana experience, or rare occurrences. Usually I find it a pretty anxiolytic experience, I think you could likely try marijuana again, perhaps with like a mid-strength strain if you can get that info and take it in a familiar environment with people you are comfortable around.

5. AstralProjectee

AstralProjectee Guest

It wasn't the strength of the experience, or even the boundary dissolving effects that was bothersome. It was just too intruding, wild, chaotic, and unpredictable in an unpleasant harsh way. Would psychedelics be the same way?

Thanks for the replies so far.

EDIT: I guess what I am really trying to ask is if psychedelics are more stable and smooth. Though I suppose at high doses a bad trip can be even worse. I will stick to low doses though if I do do psychedelics. I am not worried about intensity.

6. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Full doses of psychedelics are more chaotic, with a less stable headspace. If you take low doses, it really depends on the chem/plant. I don't dose that way too often because I find it sub-psychedelic but they are usually like slightly odd stimulants or nootropics at low doses.

7. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

If I were you I'd stick to marijuana. Acid is bad news for anyone with a predisposition to mental instability. If you had a bad experience on a high dose of marijuana, that is a fabulous indicator that you will have other bad experiences on acid.

That said... marijuana is really tame. Don't give up so easily on it. Although you may be curious about psychedelics, don't rule out marijuana. I have a regular routine that involves a light dose (some would say it's a light dose) of marijuana by way of edible. I eat 25 mg of THC about every day. It relaxes me, but it didn't used to and higher doses than that tend to give me anxiety of a sort.

Try edibles first! :)

8. AstralProjectee

AstralProjectee Guest

I must add that what I took was hash oil I think it was. So it was very potent. In fact it's now 14 hours since I smoked it and I still feel burning in my legs tingles and other psychological effects. And you's are starting to make me wonder if I should take any psychedelic. If push comes to shove I still just try micro-dosing.

9. AstralProjectee

AstralProjectee Guest

soulcompromise let me ask is there suppose to be a curve in learning to enjoy marijuana? Cause I didn't get any enjoyment from it.

10. MeatyMushroom

MeatyMushroom Juggle Tings Proppuh

McKenna puts it well, something along the lines of:

"psychedelics(and I'd include marijuana here) show you a relativity of your cultural viewpoint"

That's a broad statement that can include your experience above. There are a myriad of techniques from all kinds of different cultures that can help deal with those kinds of eruptions of abstraction, things generally get messy when it's contained in the mind(the mind is a tool of understanding, when it's exposed immediately to new and unfamiliar territory it tends to panic and grapple for a lifeline which isn't a pleasant experience, think of someone who can't swim falling out of a boat in the middle of the ocean) and not embodied. Stepping into that can feel somewhat like jumping off a cliff, but you'll generally be alright.

Yoga's a good place to start if these experiences become a regular occurrence, also learning and using the microcosmic orbit.