Brexit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BlackBillBlake, Feb 19, 2016.

1. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

You (the UK people in general) need to get involved in your own country's politics. At least get your own informed opinion on important matters, instead of wondering what the EU is about after the referendum has passed. As long as the citizens who look for real answers are in the minority your society as a whole will believe in and walk away with superficial remarks like 'we're taking back control', 'it's caused by the immigrants', 'out of EU means national economy is saved' etc. Having an ideal leader doesn't hurt but you guys need more. I guess the majority is too busy, pre-occupied or tired (so lets blame some particular group I don't belong to) :p

2 people like this.
  2. BlackBillBlake

BlackBillBlake resigned HipForums Supporter

You are dead right in all points there.

I'd only add that the media also have a role in all this - and unfortunately, the very people who know nothing about the EU are the very one's who have been getting their opinions from a continuous drip feed of anti-Europe propaganda in papers like the Sun and the Mail for many years.

Democracy can only work if people are well informed. If the overwhelming bias of media is slanted one way, democracy is really in big trouble in any meaningful definition of the word.

Maybe this current crisis will act a wake up call to some.

1 person likes this.
  3. katkin

katkin Member

Yes I agree with this, but also the politicians have behaved terribly, scaring the public when they should have been helping to ease worries and help the public feel more secure.

2 people like this.
  4. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

It seems to me the only Bregret voters are the older generations who voted in favor for the EU many years ago, who in turn voted leave this time out of regret.

5. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

Youth are butt hurt over it when they didn't even vote. Embarrassment to millenials.

6. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

See, Asmo says that, very valid points, You say all valid points

But then you just come back with basically, Oh, its the medias fault. There are supposed to spoon feed you all with the necessary, easily obtained information

Which is basically the kind of thinking that will determine the next two years, if nothing really changes, if there is no dramatic dent in the (primarily English) economy.....then basically there will be too many stay voters too lazy to do anything about it.

It will be interesting to see what Scotland actually does now, will they follow the worlds 5th biggest economy right next door....can they actually ever stand on their own two feet

Interesting to see what France does now too, because this now makes the EU too german top heavy.

7. BlackBillBlake

No - I was agreeing with Asmo, and only adding to those points the stuff about the media. It's all part of the same overall picture.

People here are too lazy to inform themselves. So they rely on the papers to tell them what to think.

8. katkin

katkin Member

Also, some people are plain ignorant, some find it difficult to weave their way through all of the overly biased 'facts' that were plastered everywhere, and some are just easily influenced.

1 person likes this.
  9. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Interesting the person that seemed to have totally believes in something pumped out by a well known Putin propaganda new feed is the person that doesn’t think that people can be manipulated by the media?

10. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

The breakaway period is set at two years, the civil service seems to be saying five and many analysts are saying ten although with amendments and corrections and things forgotten a lot of people are going to have to be dealing with it for a lot longer.

It was said the Civil Service were warning before the vote that they were ill equipped to deal with such a large and complicated task and are now worried about having to take it on, when staffing levels are so low and due to redundancies many people with experience have left.

So it’s likely they are going to have to go on a recruit drive and buy in some very expensive lawyers and consultants.

I also heard on the radio this morning that whatever government is in power during the negotiations are going to have to spend so much time on it that they’re likely to have little time for anything else.

11. Asmodean

Stop thinking in stereotypes.

12. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

We've gone through this, the story is also being fun by some British tabloids.

Stop making stuff up

13. Asmodean

VG, I am sorry to be the one to point it out, but you are basically being treated with the same amount of logic and respect you dish out:

This remark and how accurate it is is very telling of how serious people are taking you in this thread. No, Blackbill was not saying it is all on the media. Yes, it is evidently clear they played a dubious role in not painting a clear and honest picture. I think it is plain to see. So not sure why you are putting it like this if you really are sincere in discussing this topic.

1 person likes this.
  14. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Oi, that tactic is getting really old and tired in these Brexit threads.

'Some people' ? You mean whoever doesn't agree with you, whoever you don't agree with.

It's only been a couple of days since the vote, you got nothing

Try and squeeze all the negativity in before everyone realised England will be better off

15. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

Breaking News Boris Johnson who is well known for wanting the top job has pulled out of the race for the leadership contest .

I don’t know if someone has found something out about him that not even Boris can bluster and joke his way out of or maybe Boris realising just how much of a poisoned chalice the job might be for the next 5-10 years.

16. Asmodean

You seem to misinterprete her there. I wonder if it is by accident.

Its not a tactic she is using. She is stating an unfortunate fact. It is not an excuse for anything, but a certain amount of people really are ignorant. They pretty much choose to not be involved in politics (their fair right), but are by result easily misled when things turn bad.

Basically it is very easy to regard you as a troll who is charging things. I'm not sure why you would be doing that. But it just looks like you put things out of context too easily.

1 person likes this.
  17. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member

You still haven't explained why you think that.

18. BlackBillBlake

A fair analysis. He's only interested in Boris. Whoever takes over inherits a total mess and a much more divided country.

Anyway, although the choice is a bit like choosing between being whipped or beaten with a stick, I feel that Theresa May would probably be the less obnoxious candidate.

19. katkin

katkin Member

Not whoever doesn't agree with me, that was meant in general. Lies such as, 'oh vote this way and have 32 billion for the NHS', then 'oh that was a mistake'! You don't think the people have been influenced by lies and the media...where have you been hiding. I don't want to be negative, I'd like to think that a positive out of this is people will realise that the EU is not as much of a problem as our political system and target some anger in the right direction.

2 people like this.
  20. Balbus

Balbus Senior Member