Black Business & Life During Segregation

Discussion in 'History' started by Motion, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Motion

Motion Senior Member

This is a short clip of life in a thriving Black business district in Memphis TN during the 50's. There were several Black communities like this during segregation. This is one of the few footages I've found covering one of these Black business districts from that era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07K7kRab5V0

2. Motion

Motion Senior Member

One thing that I've noticed and that got me interested in posting this is that this part of segregated America rarely gets touched on in the media. I would like to see Hollywood or some filmmaker make a movie portraying the black business people of the segregation era to give people a broader view of Black life under segregation.

3. snowtiggernd

snowtiggernd Member

What's with that shit at the end that says black lives don't really matter and a bunch of people pointing guns at each other?

4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

LOL, that is a different video, just like the 5 other preview pics of related videos that appear at the end of every youtube video.
    I thought it was kinda obvious.

5. Motion

Motion Senior Member

To those familiar with Apartheid.

Could Blacks in South Africa engage in the type of business activity under that system that we see with Blacks in the Jim Crow South? Or was the Apartheid system more restrictive on Black South Africans?