I'm Only 16 In 2016...can I Really Call Myself A Hippie

Discussion in 'Hippies' started by Xiri, Jan 29, 2016.

1. Xiri

Xiri Members

I feel like being born in 1999 and growing up in the early 2000s, I can't call myself a hippie. I mean I belive in the entire way of life,but I'm too young and I haven't experienced life the way a lot of you have. I consider my self a free spirit...not necessarily a hippie.

2. 6-eyed shaman

6-eyed shaman Sock-eye salmon

The way I see it, if young people born after the 70s can't be hippies, then hippie culture would die forever. You can be one if you want.

5 people like this.
  3. OnaQuestfortheD

OnaQuestfortheD Neither Hip nor For 'em

As far as I can tell, post-2010 hippies are called hipSTERS.

4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Super Moderator

Nope. Hipsters in the 2000s are different from the hipsters of 1950-65 that spawned beatnik and hippie culture (and protest culture).

2 people like this.
  5. drumminmama

6. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

"Don't you know what you are?
    You are what you is!
    You is what you am!
    So go on and make ham!"
    Frank Zappa

C/S,
    Rev J

3 people like this.
  7. Cannabliss88

Cannabliss88 Members

I was so into the "hippie culture" as a teen as a sort of rebellion against all the superficial bullshit most peoiple my age were interested in.

Now, at the age of 27, everyone around me is still into superficial bullshit but I realized I need people. I need to be social now and I really needed to back then.

Don't label yourself, just be yourself and follow your dreams. Be a free spirit but find other free spirits your age to hang out with. REMEMBER EVEN "FREE SPIRITS" CAN BECOME ANOTHER SOCIAL RELIGION SO QUESTION EVEN THOSE WHO QUESTION

Being of the "hippie mindset" can be lonely so always be sure to make the most of the time by having fun with friends because time will go so fast it will be unbelievable.

Good luck and positive vibes to you! Be all that you can be and make the most of each day!

Also start saving your money now so you can go on awesome adventures after your done with school. If you plan to go to college considur taking a gap year to help you find yourself and don't let anyone push you into a life that doesn't resonate with you.

Learn to meditate too because doing this you will learn how to get high on life anytime you want and the best time to learn is when you are young but anyone can learn. (The brain keeps growing till the mid-late 20s but trust me you'll be that age before you know it)

Weed can take you there temporarily but its only a taste and can only take you so far before it becomes a time and money wasting habit (If you already smoke, if not I recommend waiting a few years but its all up to you)

Soo...yeah...screw labels, be yourself and find friends who share common interests. Love and Light!

3 people like this.
  8. drumminmama

Depends on how rigidly you define hippie.
    Maybe I don't have hippies nearby, but I do have DIYers, musicians, artists, liberal minded folks, including in my faith community.
    I've got tribal belly dancers, fire spinners/dancers, a fleet of Burners, psychonauts. And well, it's Oakland. We still have Occupy floating around.
    I've got Buddhists, pagans, Renewal Jews (yay), light workers, body workers, spiritual healers...all in my social circle, and I'm not that social!

1 person likes this.
  9. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

Hippies seemed fairly different than the Hipsters of the Beatnik generation, they all have unique aspects, but Hipsters do seem more of a subculture rather than counter culture.

10. SunshineSarah23

SunshineSarah23 Members

Of course you can be a hippie at the age of 16 today! I see myself as a hippie and I am 23!!! :D Hippie is what is in your heart and soul. You share the beauty of you with the world and better the world for that. You are a beautiful individual with a light that shines on for the world to bask in! A hippie is the love in their heart and their generosity and their caring nature with a free spirit. I truly believe that we have to carry on what it means to be a hippie... a true hippie. Keep it going in the truth and beauty of being a wonderful happy hippie. :) Peace n love ♡♡♡

1 person likes this.
  11. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Only $9Million to buy his house...

1 person likes this.
  12. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

It seems that "tree spirit" and "hippie" are pretty damn close to each other.
    But, there could be several distinctions there.

To me, the only main rules are to be yourself and not be a douche to others.
    Ain't much of anything that could fall outside of that.

And remember, every hippie from the 60s started out as a normie at some point.

1 person likes this.
  13. sunfighter

sunfighter Hip Forums Supporter HipForums Supporter

Just follow the money and you will eventually be hip. You will also understand how the power of money decimated the counterculture of the 60's and 70's.

14. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Some of us were born into it. Both of my parents were hippies. Dad was an artist. Mom was a protester. She took me to see the Monkees when I was a kid at a stadium. The opening act was this loud black guy with a guitar. When the Monkees came out to play, I could barely hear them. We were right next to the stage. Many years later, I was 16 when I was playing Hendrix in my room with some friends. Mom comes in and asks if I remember seeing him. When she told everyone the story, I realized I had seen Hendrix on stage and hated him for ruining my Monkees concert!

Being hip has always been a frame of mind. It's a very diverse spectrum of thought and being. Some are hooked on peace, some want to argue down the oppressive system. Some want to save trees while others want to eat them. I know a hippy who's so dedicated to saving the environment that he designs emissions control equipment for heavy equipment. The other thing is that sometimes we have to step away from our hip selves to sell out and build a stake for things like children and retirement.

I maintain the appearance of a total sellout, corporate dork hair, corporate dork clothing, paper on the walls and a meager expense account. I also got rid of my cars back in 2005, have been smoking pot since 1976 and have a huge organic garden. I didn't exactly sell out as much as I decided to rip off corporations from the inside. I got my best job by totally lying on my resume. I guess that's the protester side of my lineage leaking out. Dad went full throttle sellout and ended up designing hotels and malls. He became so greedy that he moved away from everyone to a gated country club community and lived out his days as a bastard. Mom got into politics and still marches but doesn't carry signs anymore.

Hippies are like the Shakers. We can't actually give birth to more hippies. So we have to accept that new ones will enter the fold in their own way. We all have to live within the reality of our world to some degree. There's no way that as we modernize everything else, it's a sure bet the way we define hippies will also morph. I agree with some of the sentiments expressed here. Not being a douche to people is a no-brainer, but sometimes a person goes full douche on you. Being cool with folks takes some style and respect.

4 people like this.
  15. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

$9 mil for a house in LA is pretty much chump change these days. From what I've read it is a good sized house too. Plus the fact that it was owned by a rock legend.

I guess since Gail died there really wasn't much reason to keep the house except for the Tape Vault, and Studio. That equipment might be almost impossible to fix and maintain since some of it was custom, expensive, and/or rare.

C/S,
    Rev J

16. Scorpio Kenny

Scorpio Kenny Church of the Good Earth - ArchBishop

My Dear Friend,

You can be what you decide to name yourself.

I'm your brother who is 65-years-old, an to share truth with you as my equal, Really, the idea of hippie is to be bored with the status quo. The norm. The 50's suburb mentality. That's all that it was really about. We entered the JET AGE. Hippie was about the very daring idea of, we think that there just might be something even better.

My friend.
    Doesn't matter when you live, hippie is about searching for something better. That's all. In the broadest sense of the term, hippie. Not as they try to brainwash you that it was rejecting society. That's not the full story. That's not the truth. But to be seeking an even better way to live your own personal life. Hippie is you personal. And that's pretty much what the beat generation had already done. Found a new way to live. They taught us, and you, and everyone. It was true freedom. Your life.

My friend, in my view, this is, and for people far beyond you will be, the deciding factor as to true hippie. The seeker. Better.

As Wavy Gravy once said, "You are a person meeting another and reaching out and shaking hands with yourself." In other words we are all one spirit. We are all the same being. One Love.

May these thoughts aid you in your road of your life. Always remember, its always yours alone. Truly just yours. You are the center of you. You are your power, only. Be that.

Always seek truth with you heart, Not your mind. The heart is pure.

Could you be a hippie. I say so. YES!

3 people like this.
  17. Rivehn

Rivehn Member

Beautiful Said, Kenny i'm starting to really like you man haha. Love your view on things.

1 person likes this.
  18. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

To say you can't be a hippie today is to imply that the hippie culture died out. And it never did! After 50+ years it's still going strong! It may never see the glory days of the 1960s again but the movement has shown it has staying power!

19. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

You are questioning yourself and the world around you. That, I think, is part of what people consider being a hippie?

If only a small part. Questioning your existence is essential. You also seem (as far as I can tell, which in all honesty isn't very far. This is the internet after all) like a kind hearted person. You don't want to consider yourself something that you may not be in order not to step on other's toes... so to speak.

I really like 6-Eyed Shaman's comment. That sort of opened my eyes to a few new things just now. Answered a few questions I had laying dormant in the back of my mind.

20. Kick Frenzy

Kick Frenzy Members

Plus, we basically have a Hippie running for president in Bernie Sanders.

Hippie-dom is alive and well my brothers and sisters. :)