Share A Time When You Have Experienced Sexism

Discussion in 'Women's Forum' started by paoladelgado363, Jan 13, 2016.

1. paoladelgado363

paoladelgado363 Members

Hey all you females out there! I recently have been getting really passionate about woman inequality and I would like to hear stories from everyone out there whether you are male or female. Whether they are good or bad experiences that you have encountered, please share!

2. Mattekat

Mattekat Ice Queen of The North

Last year while in a job interview for a company that sold and installed tv antennas, the boss mentioned installations. Since he was hiring all positions and I didn't know what I was being interviewed for yet, I said something along the lines of, "I've never installed one before but if I know how to use tools and am a fast learner." (I don't remember exactly what I said) He then cut in with "oh no no no I wouldn't get you to go on installs, that involves carrying heavy things, like ladders." He then went on to say something about wanting pretty charismatic people doing sales I think. He also later admitted to one of the guys at work that the only reason he hired my friend as the receptionist in the office was because she was hot, and he needs an attractive face meeting people when they first come in.

1 person likes this.
  3. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

When I was working with the public, taking people on tours, etc. I was not allowed to be alone with children.

Yet the women of course were allowed to watch multiple children, take them to the bathroom, etc.

I was told it's because I'm male and there was a risk of molestation.

2 people like this.
  4. morrow

morrow Visitor

Went for a meal with a male friend, the male was asked what he would like, then asked what I would like ..the friend said, you best ask her, I let her speak for herself sometimes..he looked at me, pen and pad in hand, I replied, a new waiter please!

5. Mattekat

What that's insane!

6. paoladelgado363

paoladelgado363 Members

I had an experience similar to this one! Except I brushed it off and told the waiter my order. I wish I would have stood up for myself in the way you did!

1 person likes this.
  7. Meliai

Meliai Banned

So I know this is a first world problem but it bugs me a little bit - I play on a pool team (like slate, balls, cue, not the kind you swim in) and my captain likes to play me against certain men because he says I'm a distraction. He never plays my skill strategically against another person's skill... It's more like, oh this is a dirty old man let's put you up to play.

It isn't a huge deal I guess.

In general I've come across a lot of situations like that, where people assume I'm a decent looking ditz and totally underestimate me.

I haven't ever experienced any blatant sexism, just lots of subtle things like that.

8. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

That's really what it's come down to these days, for the most part.

9. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I watched the women get squeezed out of leadership at a venue. The woman who hired me, a PR/marketing woman and then me. All replaced by men with less experience in the jobs.

1 person likes this.
  10. PunchDrunkKitten

PunchDrunkKitten borne on the fm waves of a broken heart

Ive never experienced directly degratory sexism, like someone thinking me incapable because im a woman, anymore than because im only 4"11' tall. "Do you want me to lift that" "ill get it if you cant reach" that kinda thing.
    Though I have been catcalled and propositioned including being honked/whistled at from drivers by strangers on numerous occassions whether im wearing my skimpiest outfit, my pajamas, or a full winter getup that covers almost every inch of me from the time i was about thirteen (developed early, yay me -.-)

11. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

Pics or it didn't happen!

Ah... never mind.

Wait.. Is it nudist pool?

12. WildCollegeGirls

WildCollegeGirls Members

I have been really with many of male friends, some of them are really loving.

13. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

I have been slut shamed and it used to bother the crap out of me.

Also, I have dealt with men who refuse to be friends with women who won't fuck them.

14. xXKittyxCrusaderXx

xXKittyxCrusaderXx Member

I had a teacher who tried to fail me because I was female he wouldn't let me do a practical because I had the best grades in class in a predominantly male school. He was married to an unsavory person the next month and quit. I think he was attracted to chubby women and because I ignored him. Poor poor teachers karma is a bitch.

15. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

I once went for a job interview in an office.The boss interviewed me,and at the end of the interview,asked if I got the job,would I mind bending over his desk and being spanked!!! Needless to say,I declined the job offer.

1 person likes this.
  16. Mattekat

Just because hiring hot women as receptionists is routine, doesn't make it any less sexist.

1 person likes this.
  17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Heyyy!!!! I play pool too!! Why haven't we become friends yet? I post about playing pool all the time. :D

You're 100% correct though. I play with guys that can't stand losing to women, so they won't train against me etc. people find it really amusing when I do beat people, like I shouldn't be beating them.

Yesterday at league night in fact, two lesbians wouldnt speak to me after I beat one of them. She had 4 shots at the black and missed them all and I just routinely edged my way to win in with snookers. Refused to speak to me, it was an effort to shake my hand that's for sure. :D

It's not from men, at all, but I hate being told I'm not doing me sexuality right for having long hair and being feminim. That really pisses me off! And that's comments from woman, while the men all prefer it.

At the pub, often comments "ladies shouldn't drink beer" when I buy a full stein.

I dunno, I don't let it effect me.

This is what I've learned in my life so far. That I wander through life doing exactly what I want, when I want and how I please... and it really annoys people. I mean people hate me for that lol. Because I don't have a care, I just wander... Man, people actually hate me for that! :D

18. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I'm sorry but this seems like an excellent excuse to punch someone on the nose :-D Can't believe you didn't took advantage of that!

19. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I think it's more socially acceptable for women to drink wine, or vodka. Hell I get looks when I buy or I order my dark rum. But I'm a beer drinker too and you'd think in the country, well it goes hand in hand. Bavarian culture is a lot more beer friendly but still I'm made to feel sometimes that I'm doing the wrong thing.

So some may know, but I bought a Ford Ranger truck. And I get stares when I hop out of it too. Like its a mans vehicle or something.

Also with the hot receptionist, honestly every guy in the world in a position of hiring... They all say that. They all say it. She's hot, hire her. Oh I only got her for the eye candy.. That's just what guys say I think I don't feel like it's very accurate. Why'd you put your business in a detrimental position with a lass who has no experience but just looks good. It doesn't make sense to me.

20. Meliai

Meliai Banned

Haha yeah I knew you played pool and have been meaning to message you about it!

There is a lot of sexism in pool and I agree it doesn't always come from the men. I guess women who play sometimes feel like they have something to prove so they treat other women badly.