Having Issues With My Twin Sister!

Discussion in 'All in the Family' started by Yogamat, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Yogamat

Yogamat Members

Hi all,
    Im a twin and would like some advice/opinions from anyone out there who is either a twin themselves or atleast has an understanding of how twins think.Im the youngest by 9.5mins.Im Australian,54 yrs of age,and relocated to the UK,to be with my now british husband.I had thought about returning to Aust a few years ago but we are settled here,and so are my two daughters and 3 grandkids.Ive been in the UK for 18 yrs,and return to Australia usually every couple of years for a 2 week holiday.
    I'm experiencing issues with my twin sister.She lives in Australia.She has never accepted my move to the UK.We used to use Skype quite regularly,but she quit using it a few years ago due to "technical issues"(yet she can speak to her son who lives in the States!)Used to text me,but has stopped,and we now only talk via Facebook.She wants me to return to Australia to live.
    I feel like Ive been bullied by her over the years because of the decision I made to live in the UK.She has never been here to see me,but expects me to visit every couple of years.Each time I return to Australia,she gets stressed and upset that Im not staying which in turn ruins my trip.
    Im worried about her mental state of health.The last time I stayed with her,she had turned into a control freak.If we went shopping,we would normally split,and I would be told I had 5 mins to shop,and to meet her back at the checkout.A few times,we split,and 30 secs later she would down the aisle I was in,telling me to hurry up.I was staying at her house,and asked to use her laptop,she would tell me I had 5 mins.Before the 5 mins was up,she would start counting down the time left so I would have to log off.It was the only form of communication I had with my husband and kids back in the UK and I found her behaviour stifling.If we went to the pub,we'd both have a drink,and if went to buy a second one(also offering to buy her one too)she would tell me not to buy either of us a drink.I actually felt like a little child at times!
    Now she is trying to control me over Facebook.She knows my shift pattern at work,so Im not on Facebook everyday.So when Im off work,we can spend an hour or so chatting.As I work fulltime,I also have a house to run,errands to run etc,and sometimes my husband is off work too with me so I need to spend some time with him,but when I do this,I am then told by my twin that I am under my husbands thumb,etc which couldn't be further from the truth.
    I accept I am a twin.My sister has recently told me that if I don't return to Australia to live,she will then consider herself not a twin,because twins aren't supposed to live in different countries.
    Am I an abnormal twin to think we are individuals and can get on with our own lives?I don't understand her behaviour.

2. morrow

morrow Visitor

I've twin granddaughters, and I believe it's not unusual for one twin to be more upset than the other if they are separated, it has a name, which escapes me right now.
    The youngest, and smallest, is the more out going than the other, and drags her identical sister around with her. We tried to stop this, thinking the little one had a problem..so one day, the bigger one was taken out, cried the entire time, while the little one had a ball!
    When reunited, the bigger one, was full of smiles, the little one cried!
    They are very close, sleep in their own beds in same room, and play wonderfully together...so we watched.
    The bigger one, doesn't like to be apart from her twin, which it seems is quite normal for identical twins..the little one, drags her around, because she doesn't want her sister upset! We got it wrong..
    So I asked their Mum about your problem, she thinks your like her twins..
    Says, its not her fault, she just feels not quite whole without you, and lacks her other half, where you got both your strength, and confidence... Don't worry, if you lived in the same house, she would still need to drag you around.
    Enjoy your life, not your fault your a twin. ;)

1 person likes this.
  3. Ashalicious

Ashalicious Senior Member

Your twin sister sounds as dramatic as mine is sometimes.

Twin and I go through phases where we are either really close, or in the middle of by huge falling out, and super distant. Fortunately right now we are the closest we've been in a long time. My twin has broken my heart more times than I can remember, because she knows how to hurt me the deepest. I've done the same to her.

This is the way I look at it - if you want some kind of relationship with your twin, then you are going to have to put up with her antics. If you don't want her in your life, then you're gonna have to stand up to her and make a point. Hopefully, if you do decide you don't want to put up with her shit for now and she cuts you off like she's said she will, the pendulum swings back the other way and she finds her way back in your life at a later time. Maybe space would be good, as it will allow her to miss and appreciate the relationship she has with you now.

Life for me isn't as rich when my twin and I are on bad terms. I'm at the point in my life where being close with her is important to me, and there are little things I'm willing to overlook, because I want that relationship with her.

I hope this helps. At the end of the day, you know your twin better than anyone.

1 person likes this.
  4. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Look on the bright side, at least you are the good twin and not the evil twin

1 person likes this.
  5. TheSamantha

TheSamantha Member

"I'm the youngest by 9.5 minutes."

Awww!

2 people like this.