I Just Read This Short Op Ed Piece

Discussion in 'Musicians' started by Reverand JC, Jan 9, 2016.

1. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/2016/1/9/1467591/-The-World-Has-Too-Many-Problems-and-Not-Enough-Musicians

I guess the first 2 things that drew me in are the fact that the writer is a bass player and a caregiver. I am both myself.

I have some theories about music and a concept that I call Reevolution. Reevolution to me means going back and changing the way that we are evolving.

I read a fascinating book called "Deadhead Social Science" that consisted of passages from scholarly papers such as Doctoral Thesis about different aspects of the Deadhead culture. In one of the articles it compared a Dead show to religious rituals in Sub Saharan Africa and Pre Colombian America. The combination of substances, music and dance as integral parts of the ritual.

Thinking of this in terms of human evolution. Music both playing and listening and reacting (dancing in particular) excite activity in other parts of the brain, and build new neuro pathways. In order for the body to adapt to this new activity requires more oxygen and greater use of the lungs. The breakdown between barriers in the hemispheres leads to the body needing to adapt to this new activity. It is quite possible that we can take the ancient philosophy and apply modern knowledge to move backwards and forwards at the same time.

C/S,
    Rev J

2. tikoo

tikoo Senior Member

Music as architecture may be wonderously free and of the air ,
    but then it will not be a toy .

3. soulcompromise

soulcompromise Member HipForums Supporter

I'm a guitarist and I suck, but I understand "The more the individual steeps himself in music, the greater its impact on the brain." from paragraph 5. The more I think about music the more I realize it is quite scientific and a very cool hobby. It's not all that difficult to learn! Btw I don't read music at all but I am taking lessons to play better as a lead guitarist. I may be in over my head... lol.