Killing Baby Hitler...

Discussion in 'Mind Games' started by Jimbee68, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

I've heard this question asked many times before. But I will ask it again. Remember, it is only hypothetical, and no one is here to judge you.

But if you could go back in time, Would you kill baby Hitler? Or if you couldn't bring yourself to do the deed, hire or otherwise have someone do it for you?

Please add any elements to the equation you think are relevant. And again, we all agree this is purely hypothetical.

:daisy: :chef: :daisy:

2. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

How about abortion?

3. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

There are many thorny issues with this, but perhaps the thorniest is what would have happened instead? Hitler and WWII had such profound effects on the world, there's really no telling how the world would be different today if he had been killed. This is true even if you knew who he would grow up to be and the events that would follow to the present day.

4. NoxiousGas

NoxiousGas Old Fart

I wouldn't kill him as a baby. I would at least wait until he pulled Germany from the depths of poverty and then kill him before he goes completely batshit crazy, so around 1936-early '38 would be good.

5. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

I would go back to his early childhood and tell him his paintings suck

6. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I think people already did that :p

7. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i suppose if you had infinite access to time travel, it might be worth a try. if i went back to the present and found it worse than before, i could just go back again and warn myself off.

it would definitely not be my time travel priority though.

8. morrow

morrow Visitor

what about all the others that worked with him? they were only waiting for a front man...what! do you kill them all as babies? thats a lot of babies!

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Nope. I know my that the war helped my grandparents meet one another. I wouldn't be born and imagine that, a world without Irminsul, hell, that almost a world no point living in. ;)

1 person likes this.
  10. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

No...

But he should have been de-panted in front of thousands just as he was climbing to power.....

11. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

My father served in WWII, after which he went to college where he met my mother, so if things were a little different I also wouldn't have been born, and I would say that's true of the vast majority of people born after that war.

Some speculate that without Hitler the nazi party wouldn't have come to power in Germany, that the communists would have instead. Imagine WWII with Germany and the USSR as allies. Let's leave well enough alone.

12. I could never bring myself to kill a baby, even if it was a baby Hitler.

I would test out the butterfly effect, though. You could do something simple, like dressing him in a little pink dress, and his parents would always remember that time Hitler was inexplicably dressed in a little pink dress. They would always treat him a little differently, and maybe he would feel a little bit differently. But that's just one aspect of what could happen. Because if you go to the past and change anything about the past, the future will progress in a drastically different fashion. You don't have to kill the baby. You could just place him in a different room of the house. Instead of peeing in his crib that day, he will crawl to the kitchen, where his parents will find him and place him back in the crib where he would have fallen asleep hours earlier. So now he'll fall asleep later and he'll wake up later the next day. One thing will lead to another and there's no telling what will happen. He could get hit by a train. He could find himself in the right place in the right time and meet a Jewish woman he falls in love with, and forever afterwards he could become known as a lover of the Jews.

Or he might still be a raving madman. But I would still sooner try a different approach before killing a baby.

13. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Imagine the overpopulation the world though had 60+ million people not have been killed. I mean we are at the point now of over popularion imagine how many more disgusting people there'd be now. :d

14. MeAgain

MeAgain Dazed & Confused Lifetime Supporter Super Moderator

Only if he had that little mustache he stole from Charlie Chaplin.​

[​IMG]

15. newbie-one

The problem is that in the present, things might be ok, but since the present would be different, there would be a potentially infinite set of differences in the future too.

Let's say the earth is the only place in the universe where there is life (not a safe bet, but for the sake of argument).

You would have to follow how things play out for humans (assuming humans are your top priority) on earth and any other planets we might move to until humans no longer exist. Then you would have to compare how things turned out with hitler vs. without.

So you would not only have to be able to travel through time, but also be more or less omniscient in order to know if it would be better or not.

16. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw8nl5qX6BE

17. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i never said i was trying to make the world better for all humans; i'm just concerned with whether the present is better or worse for me.

18. newbie-one

feeling all warm and fuzzy right now

19. newbie-one

My perspective is not that the world is better off for all of those people dying. It could be that they were better people than the average people who survived. The problem imho is the potentially worse scenarios, like a world war that was fought more extensively with nuclear weapons.

20. newo

newo Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Why does it have to be baby Hitler? He served in WWI, so if you could find him on the battlefield just use shoot him from a distance and he'd be just another war casualty dying in obscurity.

[​IMG]