Homophobia And Gay Jokes.

Discussion in 'The Whiners' started by Jimbee68, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimbee68

Jimbee68 Member

Well I do certainly think this country has come a long way, in just the past 20 years in fact. 20 years ago, most Americans were opposed to gays and their rights. Now the reverse is true. I still think we have a long way to go though. I'll give you one example.

Gay jokes. Even the most avid supporters of gay rights use them. I will go into some detail of what I mean. People sometimes joke (in various ways) that they are gay. Then everyone has a good laugh, and that is the end of it. But should it be?

If someone jokes about being African American, and everyone laughed, we'd call them a racist. If someone joke they were Jewish, and everyone had a good laugh, we'd say they were antisemitic. So why is it okay for gays? I could be just oversensitive, it's true. But prove me wrong, too.

I can already hear some of you saying, Where do you see this happening? Oh, everywhere. It still is socially acceptable. But please, feel free to prove me wrong, even about this.

:daisy: :daisy: :daisy:

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

This thread is gay. ;)

I think of myself as a light hearted person, and I'm all for jokes. All jokes in some form offend somebody. But I see humor even in offensive jokes too. If they're just jokes, then they're just jokes. I don't take "you're gay, I'm gay" jokes to heart.

3. Aerianne

Aerianne Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

4. Jo King

Jo King wannabe

remember when gay was happy.
    I had an Aunt Gay she was funny, I loved visiting her.

5. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

The Girls I Know With That Name Spell It Gai...... :) .

Cheers Glen.

6. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

So a hippie walks into a gay bar and orders a beer. A guy walks up to him and says,, "I'll give you a handjob. Meet me in the men's room in 5 minutes."

The hippie finishes his beer and leaves. His friend asked him how it went. He replied, "A dude said something about a job so I split."

There is a difference between homophobia and sarcasm. The sooner one learns the difference the easier life becomes.

C/S,
    Rev J

2 people like this.
  7. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I wish the word was spelled "ghey."
    The word spelled gay has been around since "the gay 90's" at least. It meant happy and joyful. I am tired of fearing I may offend someone if I use the word....or play a song where it just means happy, as I mean it.
    I am tired of perfectly innocent words taking on new meanings that can offend.
    I am tired of colors taking on meanings when they are just colors.
    I am tired of all the double meanings and double speak.

8. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

Cute, joke, Rev.
    I heard the word job.... Lol

9. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I don't think anybody really takes that much offense to it though do they? For even gay people? It doesn't bother me it's just an expression of something gay it could mean lots of things. Colorful, random, happy etc.

10. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

"Dad, theres this kid at school that keeps calling me gay"
    "Next time he does it son, just thump him one"
    "I can't, he's too cute"

1 person likes this.
  11. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

Son Comes Home And Announces To His Dad..........Dad I Just Had My First Bonk

Today.........Father Asks How Was It.........Son Replies Just Great......

Father Then Asks When Are You Going To Get Your Next One.......

Son Replies.......Not For A Few Days Dad My Ass Is Too Sore...... :biker:

Cheers Glen.

12. Pieceofmyheart

Pieceofmyheart Grumpy old bitch HipForums Supporter

My gay male friends tell me the nastiest gay jokes ever. Just sayin....

13. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

A good samaritan walks past a gay bar and sees an elderly gent very intoxicated with poor mobility struggling to find his seat, to do his good deed for the day the samaritan jumps to his aid and asks "Would you like me to push your stool in for you sir?"

14. Asmodean

Asmodean Slo motion rider

I am not denying these jokes are happening but I don't regard them as the biggest issue regarding homophobia or intolerance. Same with your examples about jokes about being black or jewish, it all depend on context and details if it happens to be funny or discriminating. Sometimes it happens to be both

As Pieceofmyheart says, and I have the same experience, a lot of gays like to make the nastiest jokes about their own sexuality themselves. Now there are also other situations of course where the joke is not ment to be funny but nothing but plain insulting. But in those cases we are past the 'being funny at the expense of gays as a whole' joke and heading into plain discrimination or trying to make someone feel bad territory.
    The average gay joke is ment to be funny and often happens to be so :p (sometimes humor is subjective of course)

15. Reverand JC

Reverand JC Willy Fuckin' Wonka

16. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

Q: What do doctors prescribe to Lesbians with depression?

A: Tricoxagan

GLENGLEN likes this.
  17. wilsjane

wilsjane Nutty Professor HipForums Supporter

To me the simple rule is to make sure that you are laughing with the person, not laughing at them.
    I have worked with people of various sexual orientations, from all over the world and with disabilities I have never come across a person who was offended or upset when we were having a few jokes. In many ways, I think that it made them feel more accepted, rather than standing out from the group.

Adamskiffle likes this.
  18. Adamskiffle

Adamskiffle Members

I don't think gay jokes are necessarily homophobic.......it's all a question of context really.

19. Ged

Ged Tits and Thigh Man.

Did you hear about the two queers who fell in love in prison?

They found their cell mate.

20. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

How do you know Mike Pence is in the closet?

He likes a strong mandate

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.