How Do I Tell My Parents I Want To Get On Birth Control?

Discussion in 'Birth Control' started by venus_beauty235, Dec 14, 2015.

1. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

My husband and I have always had an open dialogue with our son and daughter regarding sex. Our daughter has no issues talking to her father about birth control, and he has no problem giving her an honest answer. I refused to raise her with the idea that she could only talk to me about sensitive issues. While there are some things she prefers to talk to me about, it would have been a disservice to her to exclude her father, and his knowledge and life experiences about sex, dating, etc. Our son is much the same way, he can talk to either me or my husband about girls, sex, dating etc. It has worked out well, and our kids both have a solid grasp on relationships, and how to have a good time, and the importance of birth control/safe sex.

OP, talk to your parents. It may be an awkward conversation, but it needs to be had. I will tell you the same thing I told my kids "If you are old enough to have sex, then be mature enough to ask for help if you need it to be safe."

2. F6C

F6C Members

That is a very well reasoned opinion, that on the whole, I totally agree with.

HOWEVER,

Not all kids were brought up the way your kids were (who btw way sound very level headed so well done) and therefore it's not always as easy as you make out. If the OP feels comfortable having this conversation with his Dad, then he certainly should do so, but otherwise he may be better off going to his doctors or local family planning clinic (if in UK) who will advise him accordingly and generally, at his age, not tell his parents if that's the route he wants to go down.

In any event, the OP is clearly a responsible individual for asking about this in the 1st place.

3. His Eden

His Eden Queen of Mean

For me, it boils down to still wanting to protect the child, and to help them make smart choices. If they are honest about wanting to start having sex, and engaging in 'adult' activities, they are much more likely to turn to the parent/trusted adult if something goes wrong. (Unfortunately, SO much can go wrong.) If teens think "I want birth control" is a hard conversation, they should think about how well "I'm pregnant" or "I got a girl pregnant" or, "pick any STD symptom" will go over.

You're right, the OP is being responsible in reaching out for help. My reply was in hopes that someone who is searching for answers will think past "If I use birth control I can screw" and realize that having a healthy and safe sex like takes more than a pill, IUD or condom. I hope they reach out to a parent, knowledgeable friend, or trusted adult, who will help them understand the dynamics involved once they engage in 'adult' activities. I also hope that any parent who doesn't talk to their child/children about sex will reconsider, and realize that the benefits in having open, honest conversations with their children FAR outweigh the discomfort they may feel. Moms should find a way to talk to their sons, and dads to their daughters, and the children need to listen. It typically benefits everyone involved to get over feeling awkward that "Daddy's little girl" or "Mommy's special little boy" has grown up, and are screwing.

1 person likes this.
  4. drumminmama

drumminmama Super Moderator Lifetime Supporter

I think what you were looking for was "there is a double standard because dads think they own their daughters."

5. PsychGirl05

PsychGirl05 Members

I would have to agree with some of the responses thus far. If you feel comfortable speaking to your parents about this, then you should go ahead and try having that conversation. It’s great that your dad was willing to be supportive in that regard; it’s not every day that you hear of a father doing that for his daughter. I also agree with the fact that it could take time for the birth control to begin to work properly, so a good reason for wanting to start so early in the relationship would be so that you are prepared when you finally make the decision to have sex with your partner.

Have you thought of what type of contraceptive you’d like to use? There are a lot of options out there. I’’m going to assume that you’ve at least been using condoms with you partner since you’ve said you’re already sexually active with your partner. The use of contraceptives will help you avoid pregnancy and STDs. “More than 3 million unwanted pregnancies occur in the United States each year” (Levay & Baldwin, 2012, p. 358) Half of these pregnancies are a result of failed (or unsuccessful) use of a contraceptive.

Once you’ve done your research and have found the form of birth control that’s best for you, make sure that you’ve taken pregnancy prevention as well as avoiding the spread of STDs. The pill, for example, can help you prevent pregnancy but it doesn’t protect you against STDs. A condom can do both (but isn’t a guarantee either). The only method that is 100% effective at preventing pregnancy and the transmission of STDs is abstinence, and it doesn't sound like that is a very desirable option for anymore. So just make sure that you take all those details into consideration :)

References

Levay, S., & Baldwin, J. I. (2012). Human sexuality. Sunderland, MA: Sinauer Associates, Inc.

6. Excitedlynervous

Excitedlynervous Members

Just my 2 cents. i spoke to my mum. Dads are usually oblivious to it and don't realize until like 3 years down the track.
    but, if he has offered then i would go to him, its the most responsible thing to do. (unless you don't mind condoms).
    he sounds like a pretty cool and relaxed guy so openness is key

Metromale Clinic likes this.
  7. srgreene

srgreene Members

You might try Planned Parenthood. I think if you are at least 15- maybe 14- they won’t involve parents or guardians. They were there for me when I was15.

8. Treesa

Treesa Members

I complained about pimples and acne breakouts and the doctor prescribed birth control. Three months later I literally dropped my panty in the school toilet and had my boyfriend have sex with me and cum me to test it and hey it worked

9. Slutty Sue

Slutty Sue Visitor

My elder sister & I were given the full story on sex, berth control during "that talk". Our parents were extremely open with us. Our mother even went as far as to say "you will discover what you like & dislike about sex in your own time" . We used to hear our mother having sex when we lived in a small house. I asked my mother when I just turned 15 if I could go on the pill, I spoke with her openly & honestly, she fully suppoted my reason for going on the pill. I think being open & honest is the best way.
    I can remember one time in particular I was out with my mother & she lit a cigarette she gave the pack to me & said have one, I know you smoke. I said how did you know that I smoke, she said Im your mother.

10. I took off my pants and there was cum spraying everywhere. So you should tell your parents.

Irminsul likes this.
  11. Joboo6

Joboo6 Members

Ask them if their ready to be grandparents.

iamjustme likes this.
  12. iamjustme

iamjustme Wishful thinker HipForums Supporter

Some girls, my daughter included, have particularly rough periods. She would get awful cramping,headaches etc. She was missing school because of it.
    So we put her on the pill because of that, so the other sort of worked itself out.
    Having said that, I am a realistic person. It isn't like I didn't think she was going to have sex. The math is pretty simple. I would rather her be protected than not and get pregnant.

13. Bobbie52

Bobbie52 Members

I would suggest going to your mother since that may be easier all around. But just be honest and tell her that you think That you maybe wanting to have sex and you want to start birth control. It’s a good time to establish a relationship with a gyn and talk about STD testing.

14. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

OP probably has at least one kid by now.

Irminsul likes this.
  15. James T

James T Members

Just have boys? You control the human genome that well?

16. morrow

morrow Visitor

17. iamjustme

iamjustme Wishful thinker HipForums Supporter

I am just saying...if you have a daughter entering the age of having sex...and you refuse to put her on the pill. You are an idiot.
    Just sayin. Teens have sex. A lot. And they tend not to think very clearly, and take risks we don't.
    The pill takes the risk out.
    At least a pregnancy.

18. srgreene

srgreene Members

IUDs are much better today. The Pill reduces a woman's or girl's sex drive. At least where I live, she can get them with no parental approval at age 15. Just ask my granddaughter.

19. Drink a few bottles of whiskey, ball your hands into fists, and tell him, "Bitch! Get me some birth control!"

Irminsul likes this.
  20. GLENGLEN

GLENGLEN Banned

As Usual......Subtle As A Sledgehammer.....LOL.... :D

Cheers Glen.