Irq42 Is Pickles

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by natural philosophy, Dec 1, 2015.

1. natural philosophy

natural philosophy bitchass sexual chocolate

do you guys have a favorite book?

One of mine is Walden by Henry David Thoreau. I especially like the part where he talks about the indians making baskets and shit.

Also, Age of Reason by Thomas Paine. Such an eloquent argument against illogical fanaticism.

Tolkien was good too but I feel like he didn't have enough women and black characters to make it worthwhile to read all the way through.

2. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

Irq42 has posse mofo

3. natural philosophy

4. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i have a lot of favorite books; stranger in a strange land, the prophet, tuff voyaging, most of douglas adams works in their various forms.
    i also find it odd though, that while 'everyone' remembers tolken, i suppose because people still keep making movies, 'no one' remembers the magic of findhorn.
    or that 'no one' had read phillip k dick's "do androids dream of electric sheep" and "we can remember it for you wholesale" before being made into the movies
    blade runner and total recal respetively, or harry harrison's "make room make room" before the movie "soylent green"
    or leguinne's "word for world is forest" and "left hand of darkness", though of course a movie was made based on "lath of heaven"

van voit's faceless man and cherreh's chenur quintillogy also come to mind.

1 person likes this.
  5. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

6. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Hawksmoor by Peter Ackroyd

Postmodern play with simultaneity of time, ritual sacrifice, satanism, architecture.

What more could you want?

7. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

What the hell is this thread?
    We have someone else's user name in title and pickles....favorite books as opening post, and Isfag as a reply.

??!!??

2 people like this.
  8. Terrapin2190

Terrapin2190 I am nature.

Looks like another one of those "No one knows what's going on right now" threads.

What I want to know is why no one invited me!! :D

9. SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff Visitor

it happens once in a while when people cant handle their liquor

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

erkaz. urk has. uuurp ass? a mining town. a village of alien rednecks on a rocky dusty planet in a far away galaxy. something out of an old west that never was, on a world to which we would be an alien fantasy.
    one no one believes in or even imagines is possible. where six-guns means six guns, one for each of six hands at the end of six arms. but they aren't really guns. they look more like spear guns, but they're not for underwater, of which there hardly isn't any anyway. they're more like jack hammers, for drilling holes in rock to plant explosives.

but the miners do come into town to tie one on. drunken miners with six arms, who know their world is the only one in the galaxy with people on it, and they, not us, are the only people in it.

there are other creatures who live there of course, too small and non-threatening for the miners to even notice. small lizard-like creatures, with brightly colored feathers instead of scales. the chirp with beautiful sweet voice, but they also have teeth. miners who get too close sometime loose finger or noses to them. but usually they're no problem if left alone. they eat bugs mostly, but the bugs are, well it IS a world you or i have never seen.

pickles? that one has me stumped a bit. pickling is a way of preserving things to be edible of course. i would imagine the one grocery store in town only gets supplied maybe once a month or once every two. of that world's months. i have no idea how many of their days long that is, or even how long their days are.

maybe erkaz is named after the rootless erkaz flower, that floats on a thin cussion of its own bladder gass, the petals of its flower being pickled as a kind of survival food in dry rocky places, like mining towns.

11. natural philosophy

I don't drink liquor.

That stuff gives me the shits.

It's beer or nothing, mate.

12. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i have (or have had) more classics of science fiction then i have of what are generally considered to be classics of critical thinking, but i do happen to have walden. i was practically raised on it and learned to read from it.

i also have something called yv88, which was about rural public transportation, solar and internet technologies, but written at a time, in the mid 70s, when there was little common knowledge of what direction the latter would take.
    it was more optomistic about solar and public transport then what has happened in the u.s. since it was written, and its speculation about the future, which is our today, about those technologies may seem all goofy, but it had a lot of the right intentions, or what i consider to be. it expected artificial intelligence to advance more, and completely missed that the internet would come to be an everyday part of everyone's life. but granting no crystal ball is purfect, it put forth a future vision i still very much favor over oil and cities.

13. drtyhppy2

drtyhppy2 Supporter HipForums Supporter

#Half-Life 3 Confirmed

14. I like Crime and Punishment. Huckleberry Finn a lot. I like the Harry Potter books and the Lord of the Rings books.

15. deleted

deleted Visitor

dill or sweet?

16. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Barbara W Tuchman

The Guns of August
    The Zimmerman Telegram
    A Distant Mirror: The Calamitous 14th Century

Frank Herbert

Dune
    Dune Messiah
    Children of Dune
    God Emperor of Dune
    Heretics of Dune
    Chapterhouse Dune

Diana Muir

Reflections in Bullough’s Pond: Economy and Ecosystem in New England

Stephen King

90% of his books

Rodney Castleden

The Stonehenge People: An exploration of life in Neolithic Britain 4700-2000 BC

Hotwater

17. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

The last book that I read and really enjoyed was Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison. Most recently I finished the Sound and the Fury, I liked it but was not blown away.

18. themnax

themnax Senior Member

macaroni, feathers and pickles, i can just see someone putting them all together in their hat, and then putting it on their head.

19. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

I don't read books anymore....

20. themnax

themnax Senior Member

well i like books, but they've gotten so expensive i don't remember the last time i bought a new one. i always get them at used paperback trade in places and friends of the library book sales and that sort of thing. even that i think its been several years now. they're all published on line now. for kindle and that other thing. which i don't have because its not something i remember to get around to getting.

but i like having and reading the print off of the ones i have. i like periodicals in my subjects of interest and occasionally subscribe to them. i know the problem is you can spend all your time reading them or on line, and never get around to actually doing anything. that's my problem. i think its good to think about things, and i think its really not a good idea not to, but it is possible to end up spending more time thinking then doing. i do manage to spend some time making things in the computer in 3d and some time scratch building scale models of some of my ideas, and sometime actually walking out the door and having a look around the physical world around me. something i find living in a city discourages in me to some extent.