Do Christians Have Multiple Beliefs?

Discussion in 'Christianity' started by Sleeping Caterpillar, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Sleeping Caterpillar

Sleeping Caterpillar Members

As a christian, do you ever question your faith? --Do you ever consider that God in fact isn't even there? or that perhaps another religion is correct?
    How do you explain someone elses belief to fit into your world spectrum?

2. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

There's a scene in Conan the Barbarian where Conan and his new found friend are talking about their gods. Just like good friends talk. And they discussed their gods, their differences, and they shook hands and carried out continuing to be journey partners in friendship. This is how I look at other religions. No I'm not Christian, I am heathen, and I certainly do believe that Christianity belongs in the sub folders of European paganism and certain aspects of Mesopotamian cultures. However, if I am wrong, then I do not believe I'm going to hell or the lake of fire or have my head cut off, I simply don't believe any being of higher power, a single deity, would let that happen. I'd suggest he'd palm it off "well, I see what you were trying to do.. should've stayed with Yaweh ;)"

A pantheon of gods I'm not so sure about, because a pantheon of gods throws up a cumbersome of characters and individuality. Some are nice, some are mean, no questions.

1 person likes this.
  3. GeorgeJetStoned

GeorgeJetStoned Odd Member

Oh certainly, there is a lot of questioning in Christianity. It's why you have so much variety among people who actually identify as Christians. In upstate NY where we sometimes live, most of the Christians you'll find are Catholics. When we stay in Atlanta we encounter people who claim to be Christians yet consider Catholics to be idol-worshipping pagans. Some Christians handle snakes and I have seen a Christian pastor wrestle an alligator whilst quoting scripture for the congregation (who sat on wooden benches under a tent). When you find a Christian sect that doesn't rigidly hold the line about being the only and absolute way to God, you have found a rare gem. Christians are also home to cults like the Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses and Seventh Day Adventists (a creepy lot fixated on the Revelation and the end of days, Ben Carson is one of them).

Unfortunately too many mainstream Christians merely skirt the tenets at a bare minimum to save face. They do all the things Christ was against; judging others with no authority, forming into hierarchies, hoarding wealth and taking advantage of other people. But when Sunday arrives, they sit in the pew and bask in their goodness for having dropped a fat check in the plate. Up north they're called "Holiday Catholics since they only show up for feast days, Christmas, Easter and New Years (if they're divorced). In the south it doesn't seem to be much of an issue, compared to "Oh my God, he isn't wearing that stupid cowboy hat to church again" or "can you believe she wore pants and red lipstick".

While I don't waste my time debating Christ's lineage or actual divinity, there is no possible resolution for most so it's pointless, I do find that anyone who's words can survive for so long is certainly worth hearing out. I feel the same way about Plato and Hugh Hefner. I doubt Christ would have a problem with my toking habit (Josephus hinted that Christ chewed hashish to kill the pain of an ankle injury as a teenager, Clinton twisted it into "I didn't inhale") though I'm positive he'd be pissed about the scotch. As an American I respect the freedom of anyone who chooses whatever faith they please, I think it's part of what makes the Barefoot Movement even possible, though I doubt they'd care for the comparison. Americans can worship frogs and fungi if they like.

But I have also been to nations where the choices are very restricted. I've made absolutely certain that I never carry anything can can seem like I'm planning to proselytize or preach in any way. But coming from the US I am immediately seen as a "Christian" no matter what I might say. Even claiming to be an atheist is useless against this assumption. Which is why I dislike hearing anyone call the US a "Christian Nation", it most certainly is not. The better legislation we have had has come from people who set their faith aside, as the constitution mandates. When Georgia was allowing counties to decide if liquor sales on Sunday would be legalized, I was disgusted to see elected officials suggest that they couldn't allow it or wouldn't vote for it because they would be violating their faith. Oblivious to the fact that just saying that demonstrates they are not fit for public office.

Of every faith I've seen in the US it is the Christians who seem to be the most actually diverse. Sure, not all of them, but who can say that? Who should cast the first stone?
    Certainly not this guy!
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  4. Okiefreak

Okiefreak Senior Member

The title of the thread doesn't quite fit the opening questions, but I'll respond to both.

Do Christians have multiple beliefs?

Does the bear sleep in the woods? According to the World Christian Encyclopedia, there were 33,000 denominations of Christians in 2001, divided into several major ecclesiastico-cultural mega-blocs: Roman Catholics, Anglicans, Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Protestants, Penecostals, Independents, and "Marginals". The Center for the Study of Christiaity at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary estimates that the number rose to an estimated 43,000 denominations in 2012. There are some 1,200 Christian denominations in the United States. This is nothing new. During the first few centuries of Christianity several different versions of Christianity competed for dominance, notably the Jewish Christians, the Gnostics, and the Paulists (who were the victors). From the standpoint of cultural evolution, this provides a healthy pool of memes to compete in the process of natural selection.

As a christian, do you ever question your faith? --Do you ever consider that God in fact isn't even there? or that perhaps another religion is correct?

All the time (and twice on Sunday)! I think reality is fundamentally ambiguous, and my faith is simply a bet on the version that seems most reasonable in light of the available evidence. I'm constantly reading books on science, comparative religion, and atheist literature, and trying to keep an open mind.

How do you explain someone else's belief to fit into your world spectrum? They bet on different horses. It's very similar to politics. I try to stay informed and open-minded, but form opinions on the basis of my personal judgment. Reasonable people can come to different conclusions, and some strike me as completely unreasonable.