Let Us Give Thanks To Techno-Industrial-Corporatocracy.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by egger, Nov 26, 2015.

1. egger

egger Member

Thanksgiving Day parades aren't what they used to be.

CBS aired a parade in Michigan. Nearly every float was sponsored by a corporate entity. As each float went by, the commentator did shameless plugs for the corporations. Most of it was technical, including airplanes, cars, petroleum extraction, Hollywood movie production, computer gadgets.

A float about factory-farmed turkeys and fracking-induced earthquakes would have been nice. Maybe next year.

1 person likes this.
  2. Sitka

Sitka viajera

Yes. I also preferred Thanksgiving when it was pure and still about celebrating the massacre of the indigenous people of the USA.

2 people like this.
  3. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

I never cared for parades, and I would prefer to treat this holiday like any other day, but I am happy my brother is here.

1 person likes this.
  4. hotwater

hotwater Senior Member Lifetime Supporter

Yeah, The Pilgrims knew how to handle those blood-thirsty redskins after the natives were kind enough to save their puritan asses from certain starvation [​IMG]

BTW did anyone else watch the Pilgrims on American Experience this week on PBS

Hotwater

5. Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla Go Ape

A parade not subsidized with advertising would look like shit

6. autophobe2e

autophobe2e Senior Member

Not pretty, but can be fun
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ta9RswuLCc

7. themnax

themnax Senior Member

many technologies are fine, the usurpation of consent of the governed, by economic feudalism, is not.

8. newbie-one

newbie-one one with the newbiverse

They'll turn anything they can into an ad.

The worst example that I've ever seen was a newspaper article about the Virgina Tech shootings. It lamented the fact that people bought up domain names related to the shootings for commercial purposes. It then went on to say that it was not surprising, since you can get domain names from www.[example].com for only $9.99 per year!

SMH

9. Cannabliss88

Cannabliss88 Members

This is why I want to live in an intentional community centered around sustainabilty. Pretensious? Perhaps but I will not blindly follow the sheep. If I fail and end up working for Mcdonalds at least I can say I tried.

I am inspired by the countless communities across this country who live together with the common purpose of creating a different future. Will it work? Only time will tell but it is better than the prepackaged, precooked and possibly genetically modfied plan preapproved by the government. It is a better plan than that one I am supposed to follow.

10. themnax

themnax Senior Member

i really don't find pee raids all that interesting, with OR without. unless they're like some of the wonderfully strange things they do over in japan.
    watching one on tv is like wasting the same time twice.

do gay pride parades have product placement? i don't think i'd want to know where ~;)