People Who Don't Listen To Music.

Discussion in 'Random Thoughts' started by Irminsul, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Do folks that don't listen to music annoy you? For some reason it bothers me more than a little. Music has always been apart of my life and I believe I took that from my father who had a hefty cd collection when I was growing up, vinyl and cassette. I remember he would sit with a coffee or beer in hand and just seemingly zone out to his tunes. He likes country and western, huge Dolly Parton fan. Anyway I find myself doing the same things now every now and again I simply zone out to a song, but mostly music is always in the background for me.

I think one of the first questions I ask people when I first meet them, especially online is "what music do you listen to?" Now personally, I don't really care what you're into, granted I listen to a lot of shit. It's shit. I can acknowledge this, but I'm passionate about it and it's truly who I am as a person, very.. Inconsistent and all over the place, reflected by my choice of music. But when someone says "nothing" to my question, as in they don't listen to any music, it's a real turn off for me. And then the deal breaker. "Whatever is on the radio". Now I've been around the world far and wide to simply grasp the concept that radio is fucking garbage. So that's an even more annoying response lol. I at least want my new friends to be passionate over some sort of sound.

What about you guys? :)

2. Tyrsonswood

Tyrsonswood Senior Moment Lifetime Supporter

[​IMG]

???

3 people like this.
  3. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

If you can't hear it, you can feel it. ;)
    Music is all a feeling that can be felt from the floor to the ceiling.

4. Moonglow181

Moonglow181 Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

nope....do not listen to it at all.......:D

1 person likes this.
  5. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Well that's just a big bloody lie if I ever read one. :d

6. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

If I asked what type of music someone liked, there would be no answer that would be a "dealbreaker" for me. There are a lot of other facets of a person, and while it matters to me, it doesn't make or break an opportunity.

7. Heat

Heat Smile, it's contagious! :) Lifetime Supporter

I think music is one of those social things that people usually enjoy together with friends. It is something that most people take for granted that a person will like some type of music. We tend to be surrounded by music most places so it has become a given in our society.

If I met someone who did not listen to any type of music I might be more curious as to why. I don't think it would be a mandatory thing for friendship for me but I think I would find it hard to not have music on or around me even around the person. I would try to out of respect but I also know there is music in almost all forms of media even.

8. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Yes that's the same as me, I don't care what they listen to as long as they're passionate about it. :)

9. I'minmyunderwear

I'minmyunderwear Newbie

i don't think i've ever met someone who claimed to not listen to any music.

10. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

I have a lot, mostly online because if I meet somebody outside IRL it's usually at a gig or concert. :D

11. porkstock41

porkstock41 Every time across from me...not there!

yeah, i tend to ask "what music do you like?" to mostly people online. i'm not sure that i've ever got the answer of "none" but i have heard "everything" often. it kinda bothers me too. have an opinion, will ya?

1 person likes this.
  12. YouFreeMe

YouFreeMe Visitor

I have, but it's more like someone who is apathetic about music, does not prefer a particular genre, and will listen to whatever happens to be playing. On their own, they don't listen to music, research new artists, old artists, have strong feelings about music...no passion for a specific type.

13. I do like some music, but honestly my interest in music is waning, almost non-existent. I feel like I've heard everything I'm ever going to like. Almost as a rule of thumb I reject anything that's been made in the last 10 years. There are only a handful of musicians, maybe less, who don't disappoint me on a personal level. Meaning I find them to be a bunch of premadonna hypocrites. So I don't buy new albums or listen to the radio or anything like that. And I'm even jaded by the old music I listen to. It's hard to appreciate John Lennon anymore when you find out he's a wife beater, you know? And anyway none of these people live up to the status they've been given. They couldn't possibly, because people think they're prophets and angels sent from Heaven.

Musicians used to seem like the coolest of the cool to me, but now I find them kind of lame. I find the whole idea of cool, interesting people to be lame. People try to turn musicians into Godlike beings, which I find really annoying, and even more annoying is that the musicians actually buy into this themselves. I guess I'm a bit of a misanthropist.

All this emotion set against the backdrop of our soulless, consumerist, war-mongering society doesn't help. Then when someone speaks out against it they become another media darling, and they're ushered into the loving arms of our corporate masters and everyone cries at how sincere they are whilst slurping down their Big Gulps. Maybe I should just say fuck it all and listen exclusively to Kenny Rogers, who is so guileless I wouldn't even fault him if he was duped into thinking he was a superhuman. He's like the only guy who just seems like a regular guy who could give fuck all about what's happening around him. Unfortunately I'm not a big fan of his music.

14. jimandjan

jimandjan Member

I remember an old Kenny Rogers and the 1st Editson song. Music is the univeral language of the land. Had that on 8 track. Need to see if I can find that.

15. Sitka

Sitka viajera

After the age of about 20, I really stopped caring about music.

Now I listen to the same music I did then (skate punk, metal and classic rock), but usually I'll just put the radio on in the background.

I think music is important when you're trying to establish your identity, but decreases in importance once you figure out who you are.

16. guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam _|=|-|=|_

I don't know if they "annoy me" however I think people who don't listen to music are Shape Shifting Lizards in cahoots with Secret Cults to plot the downfall of Humans.

1 person likes this.
  17. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Oh I listen to what I did back in high school too. Or other bands branches from those genres. I've gone from Metallica rock to straight up Death Metal now but I've grown to like all sorts of music, really. I now listen to country too, and certain other genres but it really depends on the lyrical content for me because unlike to mesmorised myself in mythology and story telling. And that's a big reason why I can't listen to anything on the radio, it's all bullshit. They're not even lyrics or stories anymore. Pockets with ripped jeans and Taylor Swifts song about the sunshine or something. Ugh. Lol. :rofl:

I disagree with the identity part because I don't need an identity. I gave up on that a long time ago, I'm just straight up Jocelyn, or Irminsul. Take it or leave it. :D but I get what you mean because in school you need your group and identity. I just never really dealt with that in fact barely anyone in my friendship circle at school listened to what I did. Maybe a few guys, they were obviously influential for me being 3 years older at the time which was a big deal in high school. But 90% of our group listened to a lot of shit really. :d

And actually, I hold my personal music preferences responsible for not having more secure friendships than I did. I remember often at times I was put down for listening to "metal". Metal wasn't cool in my school group. That was bloody, Satan kill your mum kill your dad type stuff.

18. secret_thinker

secret_thinker Lifetime Supporter Lifetime Supporter

2 people like this.
  19. themnax

themnax Senior Member

people who don't let me hear sounds that aren't made by people annoy me.

20. Irminsul

Irminsul Valkyrie

Can't you just go somewhere in the bush or the woods and listen to the spirits and wights in peace?

See I can deafen my eardrums with blast beats one minute and then go into the forest the next minute. :D