94 replies to this topic

#11 Vanilla Gorilla

Vanilla Gorilla

Go Ape

• PipPipPip
  • 12,587 posts
  • LocationDown Under

Posted December 28 2015 - 11:54 PM

And it got a junkie with mediocre songwriting skills stringing together gibberish like English was his second language elevated to godlike status.
C/S,
Rev J

Everyone did go nuts for Nevermind, one of those times when everyone you knew was playing the same album for a period of about 6 months or so

Mediocre song writing skills?, album was full of catchy tunes, all of which Im totally sick of now...but back in the day.....

Anyhoo, "Grunge" was pretty much only one album by one band

#12 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 20,809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 29 2015 - 01:55 AM

Grunge seems like it was primarily a product of the times. I cannot really see music in the age of social media and potentially professional production equipment on their home computer, have the same sort of self loathing quality as grunge, without sounding contrived.

Perhaps some aspects of it will continue to be utilized though.

Edited by guerillabedlam, December 29 2015 - 01:59 AM.

Bvztpo7.png

#13 Mallyboppa

Mallyboppa

Nails Mc Fugger

• PipPipPip
  • 4,456 posts
  • LocationRuncorn GB

Posted December 29 2015 - 02:04 AM

I Dont Like labels On Music

Edited by Mallyboppa, December 29 2015 - 02:05 AM.

#14 Chodpa

Chodpa

-=Chop_Chop=-

• PipPipPip
  • 2,209 posts

Posted December 29 2015 - 05:24 AM

Well....I watched that whole video and I certainly wouldn't call it grunge. Maybe New Age and even jammy in it's own way. I think it's ok for what it is, cool to hear and may even be fun to jam on. But two things I noticed.....first....there is almost zero reaction from the crowd except for the few super heady bros up front who probably can lecture everyone else on what it means to really "get it". Second...they cut the jams from one song to the next or the beginnings and endings of songs for this video. If this is the reaction from the crowd on what they thought was good enough to keep....either the rest of the music was really a drag or the drugs in the crowd were incredible...which is a realistic possibility. 

Seefeel were an ambient band but they mostly use a conventional rock combo with some looping - I have a bootleg, or did before that external HD crashed from France were some French guy goes berserk telling them how bad they are. It's pretty funny. I learned about them a long long time ago now from the United States of Ambience compilation.  Their vibe is like being in the womb with all the physical burbles and gating veins and heartbeats, or that's what I think. They are my single favorite ambient trance band.  They would be what people used to call 'Chill-out.'

:sunny:

#15 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,429 posts
  • LocationThe pulsing cavern

Posted December 29 2015 - 07:39 AM

It can't be brought back. Nevermind and some Pearl Jam stuff were the highlights of this (at best sub-)genre in rock. To me it can all be thrown in in the 'alternative rock' genre that got big in the 90's, but it can't be denied there are some distinctives that set bands like Nirvana and Pearl jam etc. apart from other typical 90's rock of course. Stil, these distinctive characteristics can now also occasionaly be found in different styles in the rock genre so yeah.

Posted Image

#16 guerillabedlam

guerillabedlam

• PipPipPip
  • 20,809 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted December 29 2015 - 07:44 AM

Dirt by Alice in Chains is another  album that was a highlight of Grunge

• Chodpa, Tyrsonswood and Peaceful_LotusFlower like this

Bvztpo7.png

#17 soulcompromise

soulcompromise

• PipPipPip
  • 2,632 posts

Posted December 29 2015 - 07:49 AM

I think it's very possible that grunge will make a second appearance, but it might not be for a few years. Not sure what "new age" grunge would be though. 

Edited by soulcompromise, December 29 2015 - 07:50 AM.

Posted Image

#18 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,429 posts

Posted December 29 2015 - 09:15 AM

If some form of 'new age' grunge would come around I don't think it would even be called grunge. Grunge was a vague subgenre to begin with (one reason why it didn't last as long as most other subgenres) but it still had fairly clear characteristics. If those characteristics are not in it, or differ too much from 90's grunge it will not be a grunge revival at all, but a new (sub)genre that got inspired by grunge. Like dubstep was influenced by/took inspiration/indirectly emerged from dub but is no dub (for example).

Posted Image

#19 Theprodu

Theprodu

Modus Lascivious

• PipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted December 29 2015 - 09:38 AM

Grunge never had any distinctive characteristic other than watered down, poorly executed riffs borrowed from 60's and 70's rock with whiny, angst ridden lyrics and droning melodys plopped on top.

Mass marketing was the only thing that got grunge it's own record slot, separate from 'Alternative' which pretty much covered all no-talent charlatans demonstrating aural disdain for the higher art form.

#20 Asmo

Asmo

Slo motion rider

• PipPipPip
  • 34,429 posts

Posted December 29 2015 - 10:28 AM

Lol, seems like you're the one with disdain for a certain art form here. 

Posted Image

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Grunge Rock, Grunge, Music

Click to shop at Herbies Head Shop